Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Burroughs/Dake/Taylor is just insane

Has there ever been a trio that was this good and this close? Any of them can beat each other on any given day. Insanity!

Huge props to Taylor for wrestling the best match I've ever seen him wrestle!! Super exciting. Burroughs and his coaches were worried right to the last few seconds.

Has there ever been a trio that was this good and this close? Any of them can beat each other on any given day. Insanity!

Huge props to Taylor for wrestling the best match I've ever seen him wrestle!! Super exciting. Burroughs and his coaches were worried right to the last few seconds.

Phenomenal match. I really thought Taylor had him. It looks like in that 2nd period he stepped off the gas pedal a few times....and JB did what JB does. However, this is a clear sign that DT is VERY capable of beating JB.

Burroughs has looked vulnerable. But he wins. Dake and Taylor have shown that they will push him. But no one ha topped his double yet.

All of you, Nick Marable is on line one.

Is he at the same weight? Marable is obviously a big reason why Burroughs looks more beatable.

Any of these top three are capable of beating each other, and it is SO HARD to prepare for each.

You can't ever have a training partner that simulates JB's power and leg drive. It's literally impossible. You'd have to teleport Kenny Monday at his peak to simulate the power and wingspan of JB.

How do you prepare for Taylor's hips? Even JB couldn't score off of a single anymore when Taylor sits to his side to counter it. Instead, he got turned twice for trying.

And how do you prepare for a guy like Dake, who pulls something new out of his ass every time? He is also insanely athletic like JB, just in a different way.

I believe Taylor has the best training situation, with Cael in his corner and a stable of NCAA champ workout partners. Ruth, who has even more reach and height than JB's, will be instrumental in Taylor's improvement, as I'm sure he has been throughout college.

If Howe decides to cut to 74 kg again, he will be right there with these guys, maybe a step behind. I do think he's easier to prepare for and more predictable than the top 3 guys, but he is absolutely a factor.

I can't wait to see these guys beat each other up through 2016.

Good point. If you ignore the fact that Taylor is 0-9 against the other two.

Good point. If you ignore how close many of those 9 matches have been.

If you can't acknowledge that Taylor has improved very significantly since last year when JB took him to school, then you obviously didn't watch the match that just went down. How close do you think they'll be a year, let alone two years from now?

I believe Taylor has the best training situation, with Cael in his corner and a stable of NCAA champ workout partners. Ruth, who has even more reach and height than JB's, will be instrumental in Taylor's improvement, as I'm sure he has been throughout college.

Taylor has been in the same situation for 5 years now....To me it is obvious that Burroughs is in the best training situation of the three given his extraordinary success against the rest of the world. People love to underestimate Manning and Snyder, but they have trained just as many olympic gold medalists as Cael.

Taylor has been in the same situation for 5 years now....To me it is obvious that Burroughs is in the best training situation of the three given his extraordinary success against the rest of the world. People love to underestimate Manning and Snyder, but they have trained just as many olympic gold medalists as Cael.

And Taylor has improved every year for the past 5 years and can only now focus exclusively on freestyle.

I'm not saying Burroughs and Dake don't have good training situations. It's obvious they do, or they wouldn't actually be ahead of Taylor right now. But it is pretty rare to have a room as stacked as the PSU room with two Olympic gold medalists to roll with every day and two NCAA champs just above your weight class who are trying to win, and just might win, a spot on the world team themselves.

If you can't acknowledge that Taylor has improved very significantly since last year when JB took him to school, then you obviously didn't watch the match that just went down. How close do you think they'll be a year, let alone two years from now?

Agreed, the 0-9 comment is just asinine. Taylor's going to take this loss hard, but no shame in his performance tonight. I hope it just makes him hungrier.

Same with Burroughs. He's just unstoppable, but you he'll up his game even further between now and WTTs.

Wrestlingnerd - agreed. Big gap closure. This field is insane.

I can go with gap closure, but I really think we're going to need to see him beat one of the two before we say he can beat either of them. Today he got two back exposures of an EXCELLENT gameplan/scouting report that Cael and co put together, but still lost and JB is likely to be ready for it next time. I mean, Chris Bono came really close to beating Lincoln McIlravy at different times, but never did. So, I think it's fair to say we should really see DT beat either Burroughs or Dake before we say he can beat them on any given day. He's improved, but so have they.

The gameplan tonight was truly excellent, it was weird seeing DT basically try to work in a phone booth and crowd Burroughs up like that and work from ties, given his more wide open and free flowing college style. The cradle was obviously well scouted and well executed by DT.

I am sorry, but until you ACTUALLY win a match the fact that you are 0-9 is 100% RELEVANT. A close loss is STILL a loss. 9 close losses STILL adds up to A LOT of losses.

With that said, I DO believe Taylor can break through eventually but being 0-9 is a big deal for both the winning and losing wrestler's psyche. It is WRONG to simply try to dismiss the number.

I noticed even in the semi's Taylor was not attacking on his feet and that cost him late in the match when he was winning. He was never close to getting his own offense off. If he would have started attacking the legs when he was winning late in the match he would have won.

I am sorry, but until you ACTUALLY win a match the fact that you are 0-9 is 100% RELEVANT. A close loss is STILL a loss. 9 close losses STILL adds up to A LOT of losses.

With that said, I DO believe Taylor can break through eventually but being 0-9 is a big deal for both the winning and losing wrestler's psyche. It is WRONG to simply try to dismiss the number.

I agree. There is no evidence beyond speculation behind predictions of his future success, seeing as Taylor is only now focusing on Freestyle. He has 0 marquee wins vs international competition, while Dake has a couple, and Burroughs of course is already a legend. That is not to say that they won't come, just that they might not.

Nobody is dismissing the number. But the numbers alone suggest a tradition of dominance that simply doesn't reflect how many of David Taylor's matches have turned out. If we want to have meaningful discussion about a the potential for DT to beat Dake/Burroughs, we can't be constricted by what the numbers say. Yes, Taylor hasn't beaten either of these guys, but getting damn well close and CLOSER every single time suggests the possibility of an upset in the near future.

It's not like Burroughs didn't know he would wrestle Taylor in the finals, and didn't have a year's worth of footage to study. Taylor brought the world's best to the line.

Nobody is dismissing the number. But the numbers alone suggest a tradition of dominance that simply doesn't reflect how many of David Taylor's matches have turned out. If we want to have meaningful discussion about a the potential for DT to beat Dake/Burroughs, we can't be constricted by what the numbers say. Yes, Taylor hasn't beaten either of these guys, but getting damn well close and CLOSER every single time suggests the possibility of an upset in the near future.

It's not like Burroughs didn't know he would wrestle Taylor in the finals, and didn't have a year's worth of footage to study. Taylor brought the world's best to the line.

Except it's not just a matter of pulling off an upset. Nobody doubts that an upset is possible..Burroughs lost to Marable. It's the question of establishing himself as the best wrestler of the three and having consistent success against international competition. You need to win 2 of 3 to make the team, not just one.

The hardest part for these guys is making the best 2 of 3. Taylor is very vulnerable to loss to someone and not make the final and as the past world champ Burroughs get to wait till the best 2 of 3. Taylor may have to beat Howe AND Dake then beat Burroughs 2 out of 3 and that goes for the others guys as well.

I have zero evidence besides Taylor's University Worlds wins(as significant as those are) and a pin vs Kurbanaliev to establish my argument for him being a potential threat to Burroughs and international scene overall. Taylor hasn't wrestled enough international competition for those arguments to be made(mostly due to the fact that Dake and Burroughs have roadblocked most of this efforts). But I think this match establishes Taylor's potential as a technical threat to international guys, mostly due to how he masterfully executed the gameplan set forth by his coaches. I think this match makes it obvious that a Burroughs Double-Leg will is one of the few(if not lone) ways David Taylor can be scored on. Considering only one guy in the world has a Burroughs Doube-Leg, it makes a good case for Taylor against.. well.. everyone else. Taylor has much work, but the jump from last year is monumental.

Every match at this level is close. You either win or you don't. Enough with the Taylor is 9-0 against Dake and Buroughs based on moral victories. There is no rivalry when you don't win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hardest part for these guys is making the best 2 of 3. Taylor is very vulnerable to loss to someone and not make the final and as the past world champ Burroughs get to wait till the best 2 of 3. Taylor may have to beat Howe AND Dake then beat Burroughs 2 out of 3 and that goes for the others guys as well.

That really is a brutal gauntlet to have to run. Dake did it last year and didn't have enough left in OT in the second match against Burroughs despite taking him even closer to a loss than Taylor did tonight... and he almost didn't make it past Howe.

Every match at this level is close. You either win or you don't. Enough with the Taylor is 9-0 against Dake and Buroughs based on moral victories. There is no rivalry when you don't win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not every match at this level is close. I'm sorry but that simply isn't true. Ashnault-Retherford wasn't close. Pico-Retherford wasn't close. Taylor-Burroughs #1 wasn't close.

Stop shielding your obvious hate for Taylor with unfounded claims. No one ever said anything about moral victories, either. That's just you committing a straw-man.