Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Taylor had a great game plan

I watched the match on you tube...I must say, Taylor HAD him!!...Yes, great game plan w/ the way he exposed JB w/ that slide out to the cradle roll...Not once but twice!! I think DT is a wrestler that exponentially improves...Folk, free whatever! That being said, had he hung on for that win, it might have been his "only" against JB for awhile...Every great one is going to get exposed (literally or figuratively) in their careers...Burroughs just buried him twice in less than 30 seconds...Pulled out the win and made the last 2 takedowns looks easy...WTT's will be fun if ALL are in the mix...Like someone said, he's certainly not in "world form" right now...He is a fine tuned athlete that seems to peak @ the needed levels...Great entertainment though...Match of the day!! JB will re-adjust, DT will just improve!

JB knows the losses will start coming Dake and Taylor are that good. He said in an interview he is done with the US open it doesn't benefit him. I think JB knows constantly wrestling these guys is not benefiting him anymore.

I think it is important to understand everytime someone wrestles Jordan Burroughs they are getting a crack at the best in the world. It is hard for a guy like JB to bring the same intensity every single match. That being said I do think Burroughs has lost a little and would not be at all surprised if Dake or Taylor represents us in 2016.

I guess I'm kinda lost on the "great gameplan" that was put together for Burroughs. Was the gameplan to establish a head outside single position on JB due to the fact that "they knew" they could execute a cradle roll from the single position?

To go into that match thinking that they would get to that position, I personally, find a bit absurd. I'm quite sure they did work on stopping his double, staying in position, etc-etc. DT did find himself in that position and did execute that particular skill... and yes, twice.

With all that being said... how many times was DT taken down with the same leg attack all the while knowing it was coming? How much time was left with DT up by 3 before getting taken down with the same leg attack EVERYONE in the country knew was coming? DT is great... no question about it. Can he beat JB? I think we all know that is "possible". The same can be said for Dake. But I find the topic to be false IMO.

To go into that match thinking that they would get to that position, I personally, find a bit absurd.

I don't think it's absurd. When wrestling Burroughs, you know for a fact he's going to get to your legs. Of course you try to minimize it, but he is so good it's going to happen. So it makes sense to have a game plan for what to do once he's in. Taylor's move looked like something right out of the Randy Lewis bag of tricks. It definitely was a drilled move and not simply a spur of the moment creative inspiration on Taylor's part. Change the double to the single, force the head to the outside, get an angle and lock up a cradle. He probably won't be able to hit it against Burroughs again, but it worked beautifully here.

What astonished me was Taylor's meltdown in the last 20 seconds. Burroughs second to last takedown was impossible to stop. No arguing that. But the last one was a mental lapse on Taylor's part. Burroughs might have jumped the whistle but Taylor needed to be ready for that immediate shot. Maybe it was fatigue, but for whatever reason he had that match in the bag and then snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Taylor's move looked like something right out of the Randy Lewis bag of tricks. It definitely was a drilled move and not simply a spur of the moment creative inspiration on Taylor's part. .

My team has done that move since the late 90s and we teach it to 9th graders. It's not some mystery finish to the cradle that DT prepared weeks in advance; Burroughs' head popped out and Taylor capitalized with a move that high schoolers commonly hit in folkstyle.

Taylor's move looked like something right out of the Randy Lewis bag of tricks. It definitely was a drilled move and not simply a spur of the moment creative inspiration on Taylor's part. .

My team has done that move since the late 90s and we teach it to 9th graders. It's not some mystery finish to the cradle that DT prepared weeks in advance; Burroughs' head popped out and Taylor capitalized with a move that high schoolers commonly hit in folkstyle.

Has anyone else hit it against Burroughs?

To go into that match thinking that they would get to that position, I personally, find a bit absurd. I'm quite sure they did work on stopping his double, staying in position, etc-etc. DT did find himself in that position and did execute that particular skill... and yes, twice.

With all that being said... how many times was DT taken down with the same leg attack all the while knowing it was coming? How much time was left with DT up by 3 before getting taken down with the same leg attack EVERYONE in the country knew was coming? DT is great... no question about it. Can he beat JB? I think we all know that is "possible". The same can be said for Dake. But I find the topic to be false IMO.

Coach, watch Burroughs vs. Taylor I from last year (

). That match was under the old rules, with 2 separate periods and 1 point TDs.

In the first, Burroughs basically manhandled Taylor and ended it with 3 TDs. Looked effortless. The second period is what inspired Taylor's game plan for their next encounter. Watch what happens around 5:03. Look familiar? Burroughs attacks Taylor's right leg, and Taylor blocks and then defends with a shin whizzher. He's stuck there for a while before attempting and almost getting the stepover technique that he used successfully this year. Watch again around 5:24. Burroughs only scores 1 point in the second period, and Taylor has a lot of important take-aways from that.

Do you not see how that match influenced the strategy for this year? Taylor basically made three adjustments. First, he didn't waste time trying to defend with the whizzher. He went right to the stepover to reposition himself more favorably. Second, he didn't hold on to a whizzher while stepping over, which allowed him to get right to the same position that neutralized Burroughs around 5:28. Third, he turned the position into an offensive position with the cradle.

Taylor didn't just turn Burroughs randomly on a scramble. He put himself in a position to attack and successfully turned Burroughs twice. It was absolutely premeditated, drilled, and executed according to a plan.

It's a chess match now between these two and it'll be interesting to see how they each adjust again. Taylor still has no answer for JB's signature double, but he has made it too dangerous for JB to just hit single after single on him now. JB himself said that he is not attacking Taylor's right leg again (I doubt he literally meant that, but he now has something to think about before doing it). Taylor also knows he can score with his pick and can tie JB up to slow him down.

That's the point. It's not a magic move. It's a drilled move. Taylor was definitely prepared. As far as specific preparation for this match, he might not have had the cradle in mind, but he was definitely trying to defend a single leg and not a double. Defending a blast double is nearly impossible if Burroughs gets in, but if he doesn't get in all the way and you can change the double to a single, then you have more options. Taylor definitely wrestled a different style in this match and it showed. He had far less motion than he normally does, and adopted more of a stalking strategy. He still fired off shots, but was less dynamic than usual. His plan failed at the very end because he let off the gas too soon, but it was executed very well in general.

IT DOESNT MATTER... Dake will wrestle Burroughs in the WWT. Taylor will not get another chance this year.

Is Dake even competing for sure? If he is, I wonder how much real practice he'll have under his belt and what kind of shape he'll be just a month from now. One injury is bad enough, but two consecutive injuries can really derail your preparation.

I taught the cradle that way to my high schoolers about 6 years ago. We saw Cale Sanderson hit it that way a few times. We call it the sanderson. Wonder if he taught it to Taylor. its not new, and probably wasn't game planned.

Wrestlingnerd, Taylor made another huge adjustment and that was shooting barely at all. Where Burroughs has become deadly are with his reshots. Taylor gave him no reshot opportunities. It was either ankle pick or nothing basically.

You're right, that was a big part of it. He controlled the center and waited for JB to come to him, initiating offense only from a tie-up where he was most comfortable.

The plan fell apart when Taylor got tired and JB smelled blood and went into kill or be killed double leg from hell mode, but it was a major step in the right direction for Taylor.

It seems that finishing matches is that only missing piece in David Taylor's puzzle.. As far as technicality goes, Jordan Burroughs has been figured out.

The thread should have ended after this. His "technicality" has been figured out! Time for him to Retire. :lol:

I'm less concerned about how effective Taylor's game plan is against Burroughs as I am interested in how his style translates vs the rest of the world at 74 and 70kg. Look forward to seeing him in some of the tournaments post trials.

I saw some early posts about how Taylor is the "closest to Burroughs" now my thing here is, if it wasn't for the USA changing FILA rules last year at WTT Dake would have broken the streak in their second match by criteria, so I still have to believe Dake is the closest and until Taylor beats Dake we can't even assume we will see Burroughs Taylor III this year

Has anyone else hit it against Burroughs?

Not to my knowledge, but that's not my point. I just wanted to say that the cradle Taylor scored with twice was just another tool in his skill set that he probably learned in middle school, rather than a technique that he and Cael gameplanned and prepared weeks in advance.

I apparently misunderstood dsnc471's statement (based on his further comments).

This is an interesting question, because it looked to me like it may have been planned. Either way, Taylor went right to it and executed it perfectly. And Taylor looked like he knew it would work, as opposed to hoping it would work. I mean he was very aggressive with that move. Twice.

Had that occurred towards the center of the mat it looked to me that Taylor could have rolled him a 2nd time for 2 more back exposure points.

This is an interesting question, because it looked to me like it may have been planned. Either way, Taylor went right to it and executed it perfectly. And Taylor looked like he knew it would work, as opposed to hoping it would work. I mean he was very aggressive with that move. Twice.

Had that occurred towards the center of the mat it looked to me that Taylor could have rolled him a 2nd time for 2 more back exposure points.

I gonna go with DT has been thinking of that move constantly for four years.

or Burroughs could have finished the takedown and Taylor could have gotten no points.

This is all hypothetical, but why do you say that? Taylor's defense of JB's single had nothing to do with being in or out of bounds. JB was driving well within the edge of the mat until Taylor completely stopped JB's momentum and had him sprawled out on the mat, head down, arms fully extended, by the time they were close to the out of bounds line. I'm not sure he could've moved an inch, let alone finished his shot. JB himself said he's never shooting on Taylor's right leg again, although that was probably a comment he made in the heat of the moment in the post-match interview and didn't actually mean never.

If Taylor gets that cradle in the center of the mat, the match is over. I don't care how strong or powerful or flexible you are, it's like being in a trapped arm gut, you're going over a bunch of times. The only defense is to not get in it.