Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Taylor had a great game plan

Had that occurred towards the center of the mat it looked to me that Taylor could have rolled him a 2nd time for 2 more back exposure points.

or Burroughs could have finished the takedown and Taylor could have gotten no points.

This is all hypothetical

yup, so why say any of it? i dunno! bored at work is my excuse.

This is all hypothetical

yup, so why say any of it? i dunno! bored at work is my excuse.

Because I'm genuinely curious.

I'm bored too. Anxiously waiting for the WTT.

its like the bit from the Might Ducks. dude is all mad because he missed a shot by an inch. one inch the other way and he would have been a hero. ah yes, but, says the wise emilio estevez, one inch the other way and you would have missed the post entirely.

If Taylor gets that cradle in the center of the mat, the match is over. I don't care how strong or powerful or flexible you are, it's like being in a trapped arm gut, you're going over a bunch of times. The only defense is to not get in it.

Taylor knows the power of nearside cradle in the center of the mat better than most people do.

its like the bit from the Might Ducks. dude is all mad because he missed a shot by an inch. one inch the other way and he would have been a hero. ah yes, but, says the wise emilio estevez, one inch the other way and you would have missed the post entirely.

Actually it was the wise and esteemed Charlie Conaway, as played by accomplished thespian Joshua Jackson, that made the sage statement.

This is an interesting question, because it looked to me like it may have been planned. Either way, Taylor went right to it and executed it perfectly.

I really disagree with this line of thinking. If anyone puts a half-nelson on me, I will involuntarily react by clamping down, looking away and fighting hands. Even if I'm in the basement of a frat house wacked out on quailudes (maybe scribe can tell me when they stopped making those?), I will do that counter to the best of my impaired ability because I drilled that move into my muscle memory as a child. Taylor almost certainly has the same kind of muscle memory on that back-step cradle. He learned it, then hit it a few hundred times in practice, and several hundred more times in matches and practice after that. When he found himself countering a shot with a nearside on the edge, he reacted by back-stepping. Of course he wouldn't try to go behind for a take down because Burroughs was almost out and a 2pt exposure on the way out is just as good.

To put the "planned" agency on Cael, Taylor et. al is ridiculous. Of course they had a game plan. Of course they worked on blocking the blast double. Of course they worked on sprawling and then funk counters. But they did not plan on that specific situation, and they certainly didn't make it a move to look to hit multiple times. Wrestlers who pre-plan the long series of events to get to that specific counter spend too much time thinking to wrestle at a high level.

Cael: Okay David, he's gunna try to shoot so here's the plan: You hand fight him into the zone, let him in on your legs, sprawl and hope he switches off to a single. Once he's on the single on your right leg near the edge of the mat, you can lock up the cradle and just back-step him out of bounds! Do it all day baby! He'll never see it coming.

DT:... gotcha boss!

Actually it was the wise and esteemed Charlie Conaway, as played by accomplished thespian Joshua Jackson, that made the sage statement.

ah, thank you for the correction. i need a refresher on the classics!

If Burroughs had needed two more takedowns for a win - he would have done them. He has more in reserve and seems content to win rather than dominate Taylor for now.

Why open up the whole arsenal if it is not needed.

Taylor knows Burroughs can come back no matter what is thrown at him and is getting discouraged.

Why open up the whole arsenal if it is not needed.

It did seem that Burroughs took shots that he normally wouldn't. Maybe he wanted to try a few things out? With the match on the line and Taylor starting to run out of gas (of course that helps), Burroughs when back to his go to stuff.