Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

No Guts?

I did not watch every match, but did watch a bunch. And I saw very few turns, whether by ankle lace or gut wrench. Is this normal for top-level international matches? Or are Americans just not very good at international-style turns, which have no direct parallel in folk-style.

Also, throws are rare.

Americans suck at par terre, at least the freestylers. Who was the last great US freestyle part terre wrestler? You probably have to go back to John Smith to answer that. I'm not sure even Zeke Jones qualifies as great there, despite getting FILA's best technical wrestler award.

JB seemed to make some progress with laces recently, but when it mattered the most, he didn'the even try them, which I found disappointing.

The one guy I'd say improved the most in par terre is Metcalf, who turned every opponent and scored more with guts than all his TDs combined throughout the tournament.

I think the focus now is about takedowns counting for 2, and defensive crotch lifts. I really wouldn't worry too much about guts. Most of our guys are better on their feet than the rest of the world and that extra point gives us a small advantage.

One thing that is for real is that freestyle has become very fun to watch. For all the complaining about FILA, they did really step up with the new rules. They ain't perfect but they are a world apart from previous rules. I hope they tweak some things, but please don't screw around with the current rules.

I think the focus now is about takedowns counting for 2, and defensive crotch lifts. I really wouldn't worry too much about guts. Most of our guys are better on their feet than the rest of the world and that extra point gives us a small advantage.

If that really is the focus (I doubt it), it's a huge mistake. Being able to turn guys from the mat is a critical element to freestyle success, and not focusing on it is taking away a third of all scoring opportunities from your arsenal (offensive TD, defensive TD, par terre being about 1/3 each).

Moreover, I do not agree that most of our guys are better on their feet than the rest of the world. Who other than Jordan Burroughs is better than the top guys internationally from the feet? Haze or Esco? No. Kennedy? No. Scott? No (maybe at best). Metcalf? No. Gavin? No. Bergman? No. Dlagnev? No.

We need to get better on the mat to consistently beat the Russians and Iranians.

I may be mistaken, but the action-pushing rules and style of officiating today seem to encourage resets back to neutral. Wrestlers have no time to grind out a turn before the ref blows the whistle... even when the person on top has something close to cinched.

Case in point: Burroughs' late takedowns against Taylor last night. There were a couple of times when JB scored a td and had DT's legs laced up but the action was stopped. I thought Taylor might have been a fortune beneficiary of the whistle; if Burroughs had a little more time to work the turn, he might have scored. It looked like he has those legs pretty tight.

One thing that is for real is that freestyle has become very fun to watch. For all the complaining about FILA, they did really step up with the new rules. They ain't perfect but they are a world apart from previous rules. I hope they tweak some things, but please don't screw around with the current rules.

Must be why the US keeps winning the team title over everyone else at each world tournment.

Must be why the US keeps winning the team title over everyone else at each world tournment.

Bitter? :lol:

KERRY MCCOY..... great leg laces, great turns

ZEKE JONES.....great leg laces

at this tourney the matches I saw, the refs did not typically give a person

much time to work anything in par terre....not sure why....but I think

the refs are to blame here.

also, I noticed a few guys had no idea what to do in par terre.....they just

laid there seemingly in a fog. maybe that's why the refs were so quick

to stop.

geeez...if I got a chance to cross your ankles and flip/turn myself violently....

to turn your ass....its gonna happen !

Refs barely let you wrestle on the mat. When Cross and Smith had dominant par terre games, you could make more attempts at a turn over a longer period of time before the refs brought you up. I think even saw video of Terry Brands running an arm bar in the 2000 Olympics. Now, for the most part, if you don't get a lock within seconds of the takedown, or if you fail at two attempts, they bring you up. It's harder to wrestle on the mat now than ever before.

Also, yes, the USA lags behind seriously.