Sign in to follow this  
HAWKFAN820

I need help from a rules expert.

In the Burroughs vs Taylor match, twice Taylor ran a cradle on Burroughs and rec'd. 2 points each time.

I thought the rules state that if during the sequence that the offensive wrestler gains control of the defensive wrestler and the defensive wrestler is put in "danger" (exposes his back),the offensive wrestler is given 4 points.

Both times Taylor was given 2 points. Why? I'm sure I'm missing something. Please help.

From the rule book:

"4 points

- To the Greco-Roman wrestler performing a hold in a

standing position, which brings his opponent into a danger position by direct

projection over a short amplitude.

- To the Freestyle wrestler who brings his opponent into a danger

position by direct projection and demonstrates control. Short amplitude is not

required in Freestyle.

- For any hold executed by raising a wrestler from the ground, over a

short amplitude, even if one or both of the attacking wrestler’s knees are on

the ground.

- To the Greco-Roman wrestler who executes a grand amplitude hold

which does not place the opponent in a direct and immediate danger position.

NB. If, in performing a hold, the defending wrestler maintains contact with the

mat with one of his hands, but is immediately placed in a danger position, the

attacking wrestler will receive 4 points."

The way I read the rule the Greco wrestler must be in the standing position but it doesn't say that for the Freestyle wrestler.?????????????

If you gain control in the process of turning a grounded man, you get 2 points. If he is on both feet, you get 4 points.

If you lock up a cradle, it's not control until you turn him. You don't get extra points for gaining control afterward.

If you lock up a cradle and drive him over to a hip without exposing, that would be 2 for control. Later, you could get an extra two for rolling him through, for a total of 4. That's not what happened in the Taylor-Burroughs match - Burroughs was rolled directly from the lock of the cradle.

Would a cradle not constitute one of these new 'almost' takedowns for one point though?

You're right -- I hadn't thought of that.

However, it seems like the way they've been calling the 1-pointer is that if you eventually get a 2-pointer, the 1-pointer disappears.

I assume that the 1 point takedown will be gone soon.

Would a cradle not constitute one of these new 'almost' takedowns for one point though?

You're right -- I hadn't thought of that.

However, it seems like the way they've been calling the 1-pointer is that if you eventually get a 2-pointer, the 1-pointer disappears.

I assume that the 1 point takedown will be gone soon.

In one of the finals, a ref singled a 1pt "correct hold" for an almost takedown, then waved it off and awarded a 2pt takedown.

I don't think that anyone in this thread used the "correct hold" rule to describe the cradle action the the Taylor Burroughs match. That discussion was more of a derailing than anything else.

Although, IIRC Burroughs did get a "correct hold" point for hitting a single leg and getting most of the way behind.

I don't think that anyone in this thread used the "correct hold" rule to describe the cradle action the the Taylor Burroughs match. That discussion was more of a derailing than anything else.

Although, IIRC Burroughs did get a "correct hold" point for hitting a single leg and getting most of the way behind.

That's my point.