Sign in to follow this  
DF

I aware you of 3 things that are wrong with our sport

1. The singlet

Brahs, I can't even begin to tell you how many elite athletes in high school could have been great wrestlers but didn't because they didn't want to wear the ridiculous singlet. And I don't blame them. Come on son, it's basically a glorified leotard for men. There's no rational reason whatsoever for it. People argue it's necessary so opponents don grab clothes. B.S. We all know opponents can still grab the straps (Abulldaev vs. Henson, and all the other examples internationally). We can do better. If MMA figthers can wear shorts and battle just as hard (if not harder) than wrestlers then we can too.

2. The refs

Typical international ref: "Hey let me stop the match every 30 seconds for no reason other than to wag my finger at one wrestler and grunt something completely unintelligible in his direction so that I look like I'm in control. Well another 30 seconds have passed, time to stop the match again and wag my finger and grunt something at the other wrestler. Hey look one of the wrestlers is setting up a move with a hold I don't like, I better slap his hand so he has to break the grip. I don't have to justify any of it. As long as I wag my finger, grunt something in a foreign language, and slap hands away then people won't question my authority. Plus I get to wear a snazzy suit. And nothing says authority more than a 5'5" manlet in a suit.

3. The fans

Self-explanatory. Just peruse these forums. Some of the most fickle, passive-aggressive, entitled bandwagon fans in all of sports.

Typical wrestling fan thought process: "Hey that wrestler who is leading 14-0 isn't wrestling as hard as I think he should be in the last 15 seconds of the match. So why hasn't the ref disqualified him for stalling? No I don't care if he was dominating for 99% of the match, none of that matters. He's stalling now and he's a horrible human being."

All points are dead on.

The singlet - I wonder when people will actually realize that wrestlers for the past 10,000 years have trained in things that were not singlets. No one trains in a singlet ever, yet wrestling practice seems to work just fine.

The refs - Spot on. The striking of athletes needs to stop and it needs to stop now. Could you imagine a ref running over and repeatedly striking LeBron James or Serena Williams during match play? Get rid of the suits and get rid of the ref spotlight.

1. The singlet

Brahs, I can't even begin to tell you how many elite athletes in high school could have been great wrestlers but didn't because they didn't want to wear the ridiculous singlet. And I don't blame them. Come on son, it's basically a glorified leotard for men. There's no rational reason whatsoever for it. People argue it's necessary so opponents don grab clothes. B.S. We all know opponents can still grab the straps (Abulldaev vs. Henson, and all the other examples internationally). We can do better. If MMA figthers can wear shorts and battle just as hard (if not harder) than wrestlers then we can too.

[/i]

I'm all for ditching the singlet for a rash-guard or similar type of attire, but seriously the tiny shorts that MMA guys wear look WAY MORE GHAY than a singlet. Especially when the fighters don't have anything else on them but the gloves.

At least internationally. Scholastic singlets can by quite... Rainbow-ish.

1. The singlet

[/i]

I'm all for ditching the singlet for a rash-guard or similar type of attire, but seriously the tiny shorts that MMA guys wear look WAY MORE GHAY than a singlet. Especially when the fighters don't have anything else on them but the gloves.

1. The singlet

2. The refs

Typical international ref: "Hey let me stop the match every 30 seconds for no reason other than to wag my finger at one wrestler and grunt something completely unintelligible in his direction so that I look like I'm in control. Well another 30 seconds have passed, time to stop the match again and wag my finger and grunt something at the other wrestler. Hey look one of the wrestlers is setting up a move with a hold I don't like, I better slap his hand so he has to break the grip. I don't have to justify any of it. As long as I wag my finger, grunt something in a foreign language, and slap hands away then people won't question my authority. Plus I get to wear a snazzy suit. And nothing says authority more than a 5'5" manlet in a suit.

3. The fans

Self-explanatory. Just peruse these forums. Some of the most fickle, passive-aggressive, entitled bandwagon fans in all of sports.

Typical wrestling fan thought process: "Hey that wrestler who is leading 14-0 isn't wrestling as hard as I think he should be in the last 15 seconds of the match. So why hasn't the ref disqualified him for stalling? No I don't care if he was dominating for 99% of the match, none of that matters. He's stalling now and he's a horrible human being."

5. The scoring system

Work like a beast to get that takedown. 2 pts for you.

Voluntarily let your opponent back up to neutral. 1 pt for him.

Your opponent not having to do any work whatsoever is worth half of all the work you did.

Logic, not even once.

Toss your opponent to his back like a boss but you both tumble out of bounds without establishing "control".

No points.

You lean back a bit too far during a cradle and they call a defensive pin without your opponent having any "control".

Logic, not even twice.