Sign in to follow this  
mpm180

Dake out for WTT

Here's the official press release from Flo:

DAKE HAS SURGERY ON FOOT, WILL MISS WORLD TEAM TRIALS

Kid Dynamite Will Be Back, Though!

April 22, 2014 - Ithaca, New York. U.S. National Wrestling Team member Kyle Dake will miss the upcoming World Team Trials in Madison, Wisconsin, due to the lingering effects of an injury he suffered in March. He was initially injured while practicing with the Cornell University wrestling team as he prepared the team for March's NCAA wrestling championships. Dake, who appeared on the ESPN broadcast of the NCAA event, suffered a torn Lisfranc Ligament in his left foot. He had surgery to repair those injuries on April 14th, in Ithaca, New York. The surgery involved, essentially, a ligament replacement to ensure that the arch of Dake's foot remained supported and in proper place, post-surgery. He also had two plates and a screw inserted in his foot to prevent the foot from dislocating and losing support in the arch of his foot.

Dake said: "Obviously, I'm extremely disappointed. After last year and all the training that I have done, I felt as good and confident as ever that I could make this year's world team and compete for a world championship; but it was just not meant to be. The good news is that the surgery went very well; I am told that I will make a full recovery; and I will be back stronger than ever. I thank everyone for their support."

Dake's agent, Nick Garone of X-Cel Worldwide, added: "He's crushed. When you train as hard as Kyle and for that long, all you want to do is compete, so it's been tough on him. However, Kyle is extremely smart and he knows and understands that taking care of this now will only help him achieve his goals later. He's not going to disappear -- I can assure you of that. And, he will make his presence felt when he returns."

This is not good news at all. He won't be able to really give it a try again before the end of 2014. Considering footwork and foot strength/leverage can really be a problem for a wrestler, particularly a world level one. I hope he makes it back to 100%, but there really is no guarantee.

Hopefully he had a great surgeon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... rre-injury

I know it can be no more than an opinion, but I have NEVER had any competitor(in any sport) before or after Dake render me awestruck, like he has, by their sheer will power. I do not have ANY doubt that Dake will make a full recovery and come back just as strong. If anything, I think he will use this as motivation to come back even better.

Dake can come back from this injury at 100 percent. I remember Escobedo saying he had a lisfranc surgery in January and he competed at the world team trials in June taking 2nd. Dake being the freak athlete that he is, I know he will bounce back from this injury.

I know it can be no more than an opinion, but I have NEVER had any competitor(in any sport) before or after Dake render me awestruck, like he has, by their sheer will power. I do not have ANY doubt that Dake will make a full recovery and come back just as strong. If anything, I think he will use this as motivation to come back even better.

For me, johnny manziel and Dake were my two favorite college athletes ever. They just have that extra sense or skill about them that makes them do things we haven't seen before and will never see again. I'm hoping he's at 70kg for the other trial

Kyle Dake is no Jordan Burroughs that's for sure!

Jordan Burroughs is a flat out FREAK OF NATURE! His will to win may very well be on par with Dake's. It just isn't as noticeable to me with the reason being it doesn't seem to be the major factor in why he wins. Burroughs is so quick and athletic he seems to have an unfair advantage. Even with a broken ankle, he barely missed a step.

What sold me on Burrough's was one of the Olympic Training videos. Obe Blanc was talking himself up as the world's best rope climber. Burroughs nonchalantly walked over and TROUNCED Blanc in the rope climbing race. That convinced me that his athletic abilities are off the charts.

I hope his goal is to beat Smith's consecutive run of World Championships. It would be great to have him around for another 4 years.

This sucks because you want to see all of our best compete.

For those who are more knowledgeable than me regarding freestyle...is it a fair statement to say that Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor are the 3 best guys in the world at 74k? Or do we need to see DT compete on the world stage for a year before we can iclude him in that statement?

Lis Franc injuries ca be career ending. Hopefully this isn't the case here.

For those who are more knowledgeable than me regarding freestyle...is it a fair statement to say that Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor are the 3 best guys in the world at 74k? Or do we need to see DT compete on the world stage for a year before we can iclude him in that statement?

They have to prove themselves in the international field.

This "we have the top 1-4 wrestlers at 74kg" sentiment springs from Burroughs calling Andrew Howe the 2nd best wrestler in the world in 2011. To extend that logic, since Dake and Taylor both beat Howe and had close matches with the champ, they must all be world caliber.

A lot of international wrestlers lost close matches to Burroughs, not just Dake, Taylor and Howe. People seem to selectively remember him as a dominant beast, but he had razor thin victories well through 2013. In a tune up tournament before the 2013 World Championship (right after the death of the ball grab rules, maybe in Turkey? or against a Turk?) Burroughs wrestled in a tune-up tournament and had to come from behind to win in the finals against a relatively small name. The blast double isn't Burroughs's best skill; his mental strength is.

They have to prove themselves in the international field.

This "we have the top 1-4 wrestlers at 74kg" sentiment springs from Burroughs calling Andrew Howe the 2nd best wrestler in the world in 2011. To extend that logic, since Dake and Taylor both beat Howe and had close matches with the champ, they must all be world caliber.

Agree that until they prove it against the world's best, there's little support for lofty world rankings for D and T. That said, in the case of Dake, I don't think wrestling JB close is the only evidence. Dake beat 2x world champ Tsargush, which is a very significant win, even if he failed to medal at that tournament. Whether you excuse his 6th place performance (or whatever it was) to his broken hand or not, the win over such a worthy opponent is significant.

I put Geduev as the #2 in the world right now; he has not wrestled at worlds but has won everything else. I think Dake and Taylor can beat anyone at 74 on any given day but they have yet to prove they can beat them all not the same day. I don't think Howe is offensively talented enough to win a WC.

Whoever commented on JBs mental strength is dead on. Has won a TON of nail biters the past few years.

Dake and Taylor need more of an international track record before when can speculate where they rank in the world.

They are both young and have time on their side, soI feel it is just a matter of time for both of them.

I don't think Howe is offensively talented enough to win a WC.

armspin, I would not have agreed with this statement until I saw what happened against Perry in the NCAA final. Howe clearly needed to create some offense in that match and just couldn't come close to getting it going when he really needed it. So I agree with you.

Dake and Taylor need more of an international track record before when can speculate where they rank in the world.

Maybe we cant really rank them, but its not too early to speculate IMO. Dake has wrestled several world medallists: Tsargush (win), Shabanau (win), Aliyev (loss- criteria), Burroughs (2x loss). Taylor has wrestled Burroughs (2x loss), Tsargush (loss), Kurbanaliev (win). Both have beaten solid but non-medalling wrestlers as well.

We can also deduce, I think, what each needs to do to turn those losses into more wins. Dake could develop a more effective offensive shot (or an Adam-Saitiev like offense from the tieup) and make sure he uses his head-hands defense instead of over relying on his great hips. Taylor needs to keep his composure in close matches, especially late, and could probably stand to gain a strength. As for Burroughs, I think he should train with Lester or something to get more comfortable in the ties. He will never be a huge thrower but if he can threaten more from the tieups guys wont be as comfortable clamping down on him.

Maybe we cant really rank [Dake], but its not too early to speculate IMO. Dake has wrestled several world medallists: Tsargush (win), Shabanau (win), Aliyev (loss- criteria), Burroughs (2x loss). [Dake has also] beaten solid but non-medalling wrestlers as well.

There's also this match:

http://www.dartfish.tv/Presenter.aspx?C ... NDQAAAA%3d