Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Cary Kolat Hired to Head Program

If true, Campbell could have their first All American in their program's history within the next 2-3 years. Possibly as soon as this upcoming season.

Here is the complete list of UNC All-Americans during Kolat's four years there:

Evan Henderson

He's a great get for a school like Campbell, but let's not get carried away.

Wow. Not who I would have guessed for that program but good for them. I guess this is a sign that UNC isn't planning to make any changes to their program anytime soon or I would think Kolat would have stayed for a chance at the head job. That's too bad - I really thought this was the year they make a change. Or on the flip side, maybe he thought he wouldn't be the guy if it opened up. Whatever the motivation - good for Campbell. Good for wrestling.

I wonder how some of the 2014-2015 recruits to UNC feel about this. Kolat had to be a big reason why some of them chose UNC. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Kolat. I'm just concerned because one of Georgia's (and the nations) top recruits, Chip Ness, is committed to UNC.

Great wrestler yes . Coach at the college level not so much. How has Unc improved since he has been there??? Campbell is Bob Jones light and the wrestling team is in academic trouble. Is Kolat really the best fit for that. This why college wrestling is dying a slow death at the d1 level. The program will be dropped in three years.

That's the reason you don't ever follow a coach to a school They're looking to punch their ticket. I'm wondering if kraisser might be looking to follow kolat I think kolat probably saw the writing on the wall about getting the head gig at unc and made the move. Can't imagine mock will be around chapel hill for long. At this point, id be tired of the criticism if I were him

That's the reason you don't ever follow a coach to a school They're looking to punch their ticket. I'm wondering if kraisser might be looking to follow kolat I think kolat probably saw the writing on the wall about getting the head gig at unc and made the move. Can't imagine mock will be around chapel hill for long. At this point, id be tired of the criticism if I were him

I know you don't go somewhere because of a coach (cardinal rule, but happens all the time), but you do buy into a program, and as an associate head coach, Kolat was a big part of "the program". So if you are a UNC fan (which I'm not...but I am a Chip Ness fan and want him to succeed at the D1 level) is this a good thing in the long run? Do you guys think there will be an entire overall, with Mock leaving as well? I don't keep up with UNC wrestling, but I do know they aren't doing well. Perhaps I could get some insight to someone more knowledgable than me. Thanks in advance.

Again - kolat is not an idiot. He read the tea leaves and. Could sense the head job at unc was not going to happen 4 him. I heard some boosters were not in favor of him taking over He's basically had a 4 year audition for the job and basically didn't cut it. Kolat is a great wrestler and a very good recruiter but the program couldn't build a foundation for success. They were always starting over with new kids. This has been discussed adnauseum here. It might not be kolats fault as these kids see the partying and the gorgeous women and disappear on franklin street - never to be seen for months until they're found 20 pounds heavier and with an alcohol problem only to be shipped back to Pennsylvania and resurface at a d2 psac school. Unc can be a great program but the right coach needs to be hired who can get them to focus on wrestling. Gotta think mock is by all intent and purposes done now.

I haven't read any other threads on this forum talking about the coaching situation at UNC, so I don't see how it's been discussed ad nauseam. I had no idea kids were showing up 20 lbs over weight with alcohol issues. I just thought UNC simply wasn't getting it done. Christ, sorry to waste 60 seconds of your day.

Matburn155-I think SalG was saying that UNC underachieving has been talked about a lot. Nobody has really been able to pinpoint what the problem is at UNC--it seems like they get a lot of talent down there but they are always re-building.

Matburn, I certainly wasn't trying to be condescending.....humorous, perhaps. I'm obviously exaggerating the point but UNC has recruited alot of very solid North East hs wrestlers who by and large didn't pan out. I have heard through the years, alot of these kids end up just partying it up on Franklin Street (a great area of Chapel HIll w/ tons of bars). Again, this is a stereotype but many UNC guys never improved and it seems like they are always starting over with a new incoming class with high hopes. It's certainly not solely Kolat's fault and UNC is a very fun school with about 65% ratio of women, many of which are very attractive. IT's easy to see why kids would get distracted. I liken it to the Arizona state situation. Kids are going there for the best of both worlds which can be difficult at the highest levels of D1 wrestling with so many intense, committed wrestlers. Mock walked into a very difficult situation himself. Bill Lam was a very successful coach and the bar was pretty high. UNC needs a no nonsense type of coach who is going to get the kids 100% focused on wrestling. Just my very amateur opinion.

over/under on number of years Kolat stays at Campbell?

Great wrestler, abundant technical expertise to offer as a coach, but doesn't seem to stay in one place too long.

I know Sammie Henson belongs on this list as well, but do we now add Terry Brands too???