Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Cary Kolat Hired to Head Program

This will be interesting to follow. Cary is/was a tremendous talent, but I am not sure if he is a tremendous coach. He doesn't have the best people skills, and I think that is critical to be successful at a high level. We shall see.

Thank you for explaining SalvatoreG. I believe I'm starting to get the picture. In a nutshell, it's a mess. I honestly had not heard about all the kids getting in trouble because I don't follow the program. Let's just hope things work out for everyone. Hopefully UNC can get a good wrestling coach, and he will run a tight ship and get things in order.

Thank you for explaining SalvatoreG. I believe I'm starting to get the picture. In a nutshell, it's a mess. I honestly had not heard about all the kids getting in trouble because I don't follow the program. Let's just hope things work out for everyone. Hopefully UNC can get a good wrestling coach, and he will run a tight ship and get things in order.

There was a lot of "cleaning house" a couple years ago an those problems were taken care of.

Good luck Cary... Many people on here just don't understand the recruiting issues you dealt with at UNC. But for those of you that have never seen Cary do a clinic, if you ever get a chance you should. He is hands down from what I've seen the best clinician. Its like when he crosses over that line from the hall into the room something happens to him, and its game on. He just knows wrestling so well at all levels, from elementary to international and understands just about every issue a wrestler deals with. He is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the sport. I love his story about the Mongolian taking a shower when worlds were being held in Siberia I believe. Its stories like that, that just let you know *Wow this guy has seen just about all of it. I wish him the very best, because he really deserves it. Also any wrestler that goes to Campbell now that cary will be in full control of HIS OWN PROGRAM. You can't go wrong. In time many of the bashers on here will eat their words. JMHO.

So what does UNC do now? Who do they replace CK with? Pretty big shoes to fill IMO....and I'm not sure many assistants would want their name tied to that program in its current state. But then again a job is a job especially if you don't have one.

Rumor has it that Coleman Scott May be heading to UNC. How good of a coach is he?

He's a coach? I don't mean that to be a knock on him at all - I'm just asking the question because i wasn't aware he had any coaching experience. He's a very talented wrestler but I would think that he would want his focus to be on 2016. Is he on John Smith's staff at OSU?

Tough to predict who will and will not be successful as a coach.

Kolat to Campbell seems to me like an improvement in their situation, so how can it be bad??

"Being a great clinician".......is great for clinics.

It is an important piece of coaching at the college level but there are so many other elements that are underrated and equally important.

Some of the programs I follow closely have "clinicians" as coaches and they have a difficult time relating to their athletes.

I hope he can put Campbell on the map.

Campbell has great facilities http://www.gocamels.com/facilities/index

They are in a nice location with good weather and the campus does not have the distractions of some other NC schools. It can be a great place for athletes but they have to be the right fit for the school. Properly vetting the athletes is important. They need athletes that enjoy the school, not just the coach or division-I wrestling.

Only a camel could go four years without a drink...

Shouldn't every school/program need that??

I mean if that is not a pre requisite what kind of standard are we setting for our college coaches??

Yes, which is why APR issues are such a black eye to a school and can lead to programs being dropped. This is what I think Stove Pipe is alluding to...

I think Jesse Castro has done well at identifying athletes that are a good fit culturally and athletically at Liberty and those are the type of students that would do well at Campbell. There were a lot of wrestlers with good seasons that decided to remain at Liberty when the program was relegated to club status which told me the school was a great fit for them. Campbell needs to find good fits for the school not the best talent they can convince to enroll.

It should be noted that the rebuilding takes longer when a coach takes over a program with APR issues.

"Being a great clinician".......is great for clinics.

It is an important piece of coaching at the college level but there are so many other elements that are underrated and equally important.

Some of the programs I follow closely have "clinicians" as coaches and they have a difficult time relating to their athletes.

This is a fantastic point that is too often overlooked. What percentage of being a good college head coach is technical wrestling ability? My guess is around 10-15%. I'll go as high as 20% depending on who else is on staff. Mark Cody didn't turn American into a contender because of his technical ability. He recruited hard, got the alumni excited about fundraising, set a high standard of behavior, and got his team to believe that they were going to win because they were bought in to his process.

Can Kolat do those things? We will find out in the next couple of seasons, but using his ability as a clinician as indication of his suitability for a head coaching job is missing the point.

Campbell has great facilities http://www.gocamels.com/facilities/index

They are in a nice location with good weather and the campus does not have the distractions of some other NC schools. It can be a great place for athletes but they have to be the right fit for the school. Properly vetting the athletes is important. They need athletes that enjoy the school, not just the coach or division-I wrestling.

Only a camel could go four years without a drink...

those are nice facilities for a small school without a big endowment. very impressive. wonder if they have a couple few big time benefactors underwriting big pieces of their campus.

either way, nice to see them making a commitment to D1 wrestling. i look forward to seeing what the Kolat years entail for Campbell University.

This is a fantastic point that is too often overlooked. What percentage of being a good college head coach is technical wrestling ability? My guess is around 10-15%. I'll go as high as 20% depending on who else is on staff. Mark Cody didn't turn American into a contender because of his technical ability. He recruited hard, got the alumni excited about fundraising, set a high standard of behavior, and got his team to believe that they were going to win because they were bought in to his process.

Can Kolat do those things? We will find out in the next couple of seasons, but using his ability as a clinician as indication of his suitability for a head coaching job is missing the point.

Not to be too cliche' but:

Cody and coaches of the same mold have to develop people.

The wrestling is important but they start with the whole person because they don't have the luxury that some big name coaches and schools have to strike out with top recruits.

If a recruit doesn't pan out on PSU, well then James English will step in. Nico banged up, Conaway in.

If Lofthouse can't get it done, Sammy Brooks to the rescue. No Clark, ok Gilman.

No Z, Austin Marsden to the rescue.

In watching what Pat Popolizio was able to get out of kids at Binghamton that had no business beating the kids they beat you got to see how to maximize all kids in your program.

You can't fault PSU/Iowa/Cornell for being big time and landing recruits, but you can point out when they don't compete that it is unacceptable.

Too many mid major type schools fall for the Big Name accomplished Wrestler guy first instead of looking for the complete coaching package that is required to be successful at that type of school.