Sign in to follow this  
DF

Props to this wrestler for not shaking hands

Finally someone who got screwed over doesn't shake hands at the end of the match just because that's what we're "supposed to do" no matter what. And it happened in the state finals.

First the ref wastes the 1st period by letting a stalemate go on for the entire period.

In before that was a great "scramble" for the entire 1st period.

Then calls a questionable TD in the 3rd period.

Dude just jogs off the mat like a BOSS without even bothering with the formalities and I'm loving the crowd booing as he jogs past them.

Questionable TD at around 7:00. Jogging and boos start at 8:50.

If the kid spent more time wrestling, and less complaining to the ref and making gestures to the crowd, he might have won.

Edit: This guy had to have went to DF's summer camp. I suspect at the very least he will be a guest speaker/technician at this summers camp.

What a JERK...

I get that he's pissed at the reff for a poor call...

BUT... Why disrespect the kid who outwrestled him...

the kid didn't make the bad call !!

The kid Didn't cheat ... !!!

That kid wrestled quite well...

So... own up to the fact, and shake the kids hand... !!!

If you condone what he did... then you really need to get a better understanding of what sportsmanship is.

I'll concede that the TD was suspect at best.... should have been wiped off.

But it wasn't.. the kid got screwed on that ONE call.

He didn't do jack **** for Most of the match.

The scramble was quite legit (give the ref credit for not awarding a TD too soon there). While on bottom, he NEVER attempts to get hand control, and barely even tries to build a base and get out.. then has the audacity to plead the crowed with a '..hey, why didn't the guy let me get out....'

You really CAN'T say that the kid stalled on top.... He NEVER threw legs in and hung on...he was ALWAYS trying to turn the guy...

YET... when the kid who lost was on top... all he did was cling to the kid..

HE TWICE attempted to throw in legs WHILE STANDING (CLEAR STALL CALL)...

Couldn't ride the kid .. .and then WHINES that the TD call didn't go his way...

The kid DIDN'T do ****... then wonders why he didn't win.... !!

SHAKE THE KIDS HAND....He DIDN'T cheat.. !!!!

You're not making any sense he wasn't going to win that match anyways, without the TD call the kid in black would have wasted the last 10 seconds holding onto the leg trying to finish the shot either way the kid loses he didn't get screwed he got beat plain and simple

What a JERK...

If you condone what he did... then you really need to get a better understanding of what sportsmanship is.

The scramble was quite legit (give the ref credit for not awarding a TD too soon there). While on bottom, he NEVER attempts to get hand control, and barely even tries to build a base and get out.. then has the audacity to plead the crowed with a '..hey, why didn't the guy let me get out....'

You really CAN'T say that the kid stalled on top.... He NEVER threw legs in and hung on...he was ALWAYS trying to turn the guy...

Calm down, brah. That "takedown" was in fact the deciding factor in the match.

They even reviewed it and still let it stand. Making a questionable call is understandable given how fast the action can be during a match. But to review it and still let it stand is not cool. Not that we're expecting refs to overrule their calls. Because that would mean admitting they were wrong. And having reffed and been around refs I know a lot (not all) of their egos will not allow them to admit being wrong about anything. That's why if you question them too hard they'll hit you with a technical penalty...classic defensive mechanism to keep you from questioning their authority. Of course the assistant ref just goes along with. Further proving that the role of the assistant ref is just a ceremonial position to give the illusion of more stringent officiating during important matches but in reality it's just for show.

So yes, the guy was in the right to bail right after the match without going through superficial hand shaking gesture. That would only serve to justify the match. By doing what he did sends the message that it was a bogus call. Of course his opponent is not to blame, and what he did wasn't about his opponent anyway.

What a JERK...

They even reviewed it and still let it stand. Making a questionable call is understandable given how fast the action can be during a match. But to review it and still let it stand is not cool. Not that we're expecting refs to overrule their calls. Because that would mean admitting they were wrong. And having reffed and been around refs I know a lot (not all) of their egos will not allow them to admit being wrong about anything. That's why if you question them too hard they'll hit you with a technical penalty...classic defensive mechanism to keep you from questioning their authority. Of course the assistant ref just goes along with. Further proving that the role of the assistant ref is just a ceremonial position to give the illusion of more stringent officiating during important matches but in reality it's just for show.

So yes, the guy was in the right to bail right after the match without going through superficial hand shaking gesture. That would only serve to justify the match. By doing what he did sends the message that it was a bogus call. Of course his opponent is not to blame, and what he did wasn't about his opponent anyway.

No it wasn't the deciding factor in the match! Black was up by a point as it was, if it was 0-0 I could understand but it wasn't

What a JERK...

No it wasn't the deciding factor in the match! Black was up by a point as it was, if it was 0-0 I could understand but it wasn't

Dude... you have a skewed understanding of WHAT the handshake is all about... !!

The Handshake is for your opponent. It has NOTHING to do with the official, or the made/missed call..

The kid he wrestled, .. wrestled "FAIR and SQUARE"

The kid who won made a VERY subtle "I won Gesture" (which I doubt that the other kid even saw)

At NO POINT did he flaunt the TD call in his face or flaunt the victory in his face (or coaches).

He Won.. That's it... !!

This was a HS match... there is NO review...

They DID discuss the call... but they can only discuss what they THINK they saw... (I can't speak for that)

so your BS about that they reviewed it and STILL let is stand.. is full of CRAP.

They discussed the call... and that's it... and yeah.. .they probably got that ONE call wrong...

ONE CALL... ONE....

That one call (at the END of the match, mind you) is NO excuse for the kids constant whining earlier in the first and second periods...

The KID DID JACK ****... !!

He was out wrestled.. PERIOD.

And I can tell you for a FACT...

IF there is EVER a "gray situation" or a "boarder line" call..

AND..

there is one wrestler who is CLEARLY out wrestling / out hustling / out working his opponent...

THE CALL WILL GO HIS WAY...

The losing kid did JACK ****... he was NEVER on the verge of scoring ANYTHING... !!!

SO... What's he pissed about... (maybe he's pissed at himself that HE wrestled like crap ??)

HE wasn't on the single leg.. and on the VERGE of scoring... he was trying to get away from the OTHER guys OFFENSE... and wonders why the TD didn't go his way..

MAYBE .. HE should have been the guy shooting (and trying to win... )

HE was VERY content to lose... and it showed.

The Winning kid DIDN'T wrestle like crap... he scrambled great.. !! / Rode the kid with an outstanding ride !! / had good bottom motion, and ESCAPED...

HE DESERVED a HANDSHAKE...

Why... BECAUSE he wrestled HARD and FAIR... !!

The loosing kid did send a message...

He's a HEAD CASE...

I have ZERO sympathy for this kid...

He may actually have some wrestling talent (heck, he made the finals!)

But he's a cry baby, and a sore loser.

I'm sure he ran back to the locker room and started blaming everyone else for his loss.

If I'm a coach... I'm not touching this kid with a 10 foot pole...

There's NO place in wrestling for this.

Oh...

PS... if it's no TD... he still loses 1-0... and I'm sure still runs off and tries to blame somebody for his loss...

DF... looks like he's got your vote.

Cuz' guys who lose on VERY suspect calls, reserve the right to be poor sports...

Like David Taylor's second loss to Dake... with the 3rd period reversal.. and no escape on the buzzer...

Yeah...he ran off with-out shaking Dake's hand...

Oh... that's right... Taylors a Class guy (and arguably one of Colleges greatest wrestlers)... and that didn't happen.

Why do we shake hands so darn much anyway? During intro, before the match, after the match, the coaches hands, and then after a dual. I understand teaching sportsmanship, but come on. If a kid has a temper, stop making him be beat down. Once or twice is enough.

Why do we shake hands so darn much anyway? During intro, before the match, after the match, the coaches hands, and then after a dual. I understand teaching sportsmanship, but come on. If a kid has a temper, stop making him be beat down. Once or twice is enough.

Agreed..

I really think that we need the Before and After match shake... The opponent - REQUIRED !

The Coaches... to me, personaly... I like this AFTER the bout... demonstrates respect to the opposing coaches. (BUT, I WOULDN'T require this...)

Shaking Coaches hand for accepting a Forfeit .... WTF... I don't get this...

Why do some coaches tell their kids to shake the opposing coaches hand after a forfeit... ??

(what does he say to him... "Ghee thanks coach for giving me a free win... ??? / or "..I made weight and your kid didn't..??? )

Don't have your kid shank the opposing coaches hand after a forfeit... It's dumb.

Shaking the officials hand... NEVER... (the official should have no part in the congratulatory portion - before or after)

Team shake before the dual... I can do without this....

Team shake after the dual... I do like this for TEAM events ONLY...

Ignoring the fact that DF is a notorious troll the kid in white was way out of line and had no reason to complain that he got beat.

Period one – There was no stalemate ever. There was a constant attempt on the part of both wrestlers (mostly initiated by black) to move through positions and continuously improve the position. The end of the period white was unhappy he was not awarded a takedown when he threw on a rear head and arm with a few seconds remaining. Black still had the led therefore control was never secured.

Period two – White did nothing but stall on bottom. He was lucky the ref didn’t hit him for it a couple of times.

Period three – White did nothing but stall on top. He eventually made a mistake and Black got an escape. The TD was borderline to be sure, but for a brief period of time Black did have White on the mat with both feet under control. I would not have called it a TD but I can see the call going either way. In college it is required that be called a TD. There was no “review” only a clarification of the ruling.

At the end White showed himself to be a sore loser. Not that you are supposed to be happy about losing but he lost fair and square. Throughout the match he did nothing to win and complained through gestures and verbalization.

While you can’t do it under the current rules as a ref I would like to have the option for a “Flagrant Misconduct” call. We all know there are certain “sportsmanship” requirements and that type of behavior is known to be unacceptable. Might be a harsh penalty but one or two guys getting hit with it and this kind of stuff will end real fast. Biting, punching, nut grabbing, and other over the top things should become Flagrant Misconduct as well.

Ignoring the fact that DF is a notorious troll the kid in white was way out of line and had no reason to complain that he got beat.

Period one – There was no stalemate ever. There was a constant attempt on the part of both wrestlers (mostly initiated by black) to move through positions and continuously improve the position. The end of the period white was unhappy he was not awarded a takedown when he threw on a rear head and arm with a few seconds remaining. Black still had the led therefore control was never secured.

Period two – White did nothing but stall on bottom. He was lucky the ref didn’t hit him for it a couple of times.

Period three – White did nothing but stall on top. He eventually made a mistake and Black got an escape. The TD was borderline to be sure, but for a brief period of time Black did have White on the mat with both feet under control. I would not have called it a TD but I can see the call going either way. In college it is required that be called a TD. There was no “review” only a clarification of the ruling.

At the end White showed himself to be a sore loser. Not that you are supposed to be happy about losing but he lost fair and square. Throughout the match he did nothing to win and complained through gestures and verbalization.

While you can’t do it under the current rules as a ref I would like to have the option for a “Flagrant Misconduct” call. We all know there are certain “sportsmanship” requirements and that type of behavior is known to be unacceptable. Might be a harsh penalty but one or two guys getting hit with it and this kind of stuff will end real fast. Biting, punching, nut grabbing, and other over the top things should become Flagrant Misconduct as well.

Ahhh...

The ONE (modified) rule I LIKE in NY....

The match DOESN'T end until the Handshake... !!

So in NY .. penalty's can be assessed for crap like this.

IMO... I'd rather see the kids section/district strip the kid of his title...

He's embarrassed this district with his display of blatant un-sportsmanship...

The district should reserve the right to administer it's own form of reprimands... striping his title would be a fair shake for me.

Dude... you have a skewed understanding of WHAT the handshake is all about... !!

The Handshake is for your opponent. It has NOTHING to do with the official, or the made/missed call..

The kid he wrestled, .. wrestled "FAIR and SQUARE"

The kid who won made a VERY subtle "I won Gesture" (which I doubt that the other kid even saw)

At NO POINT did he flaunt the TD call in his face or flaunt the victory in his face (or coaches).

He Won.. That's it... !!

This was a HS match... there is NO review...

They DID discuss the call... but they can only discuss what they THINK they saw... (I can't speak for that)

so your BS about that they reviewed it and STILL let is stand.. is full of CRAP.

They discussed the call... and that's it... and yeah.. .they probably got that ONE call wrong...

ONE CALL... ONE....

That one call (at the END of the match, mind you) is NO excuse for the kids constant whining earlier in the first and second periods...

The KID DID JACK ****... !!

He was out wrestled.. PERIOD.

And I can tell you for a FACT...

IF there is EVER a "gray situation" or a "boarder line" call..

AND..

there is one wrestler who is CLEARLY out wrestling / out hustling / out working his opponent...

THE CALL WILL GO HIS WAY...

The losing kid did JACK ****... he was NEVER on the verge of scoring ANYTHING... !!!

SO... What's he pissed about... (maybe he's pissed at himself that HE wrestled like crap ??)

HE wasn't on the single leg.. and on the VERGE of scoring... he was trying to get away from the OTHER guys OFFENSE... and wonders why the TD didn't go his way..

MAYBE .. HE should have been the guy shooting (and trying to win... )

HE was VERY content to lose... and it showed.

The Winning kid DIDN'T wrestle like crap... he scrambled great.. !! / Rode the kid with an outstanding ride !! / had good bottom motion, and ESCAPED...

HE DESERVED a HANDSHAKE...

Why... BECAUSE he wrestled HARD and FAIR... !!

He's a HEAD CASE...

I'm sure he ran back to the locker room and started blaming everyone else for his loss.

Oh...

PS... if it's no TD... he still loses 1-0... and I'm sure still runs off and tries to blame somebody for his loss...

DF... looks like he's got your vote.

Cuz' guys who lose on VERY suspect calls, reserve the right to be poor sports...

Like David Taylor's second loss to Dake... with the 3rd period reversal.. and no escape on the buzzer...

Yeah...he ran off with-out shaking Dake's hand...

Oh... that's right... Taylors a Class guy (and arguably one of Colleges greatest wrestlers)... and that didn't happen.

Your caps lock key is acting up...

He's a HEAD CASE...

Joe Heskett apparenty sees more in Klee than you do, but Keep judging him from what you saw in 1 match.

Since West Point is in New York maybe you can work with him on his sportsmanship...

No offense intended to Paul Fox and PJ Klee, because they are both tough, and simply wrestling to that California style. But, that match was unbearable. The officials in California are not good. They have allowed the stalling to proliferate. All the dropping to the ankles and backing out of bounds without drawing stalls.

Klee was right with his arguments. IMO, that was not a takedown. There is still reaction time in high school. But, you gotta shake hands. In Oregon, he would have lost his placing and all his team points (that's stupid as well as far as I am concerned) .

IMO... I'd rather see the kids section/district strip the kid of his title...

He's embarrassed this district with his display of blatant un-sportsmanship...

The district should reserve the right to administer it's own form of reprimands... striping his title would be a fair shake for me.

What title? And what district?

The ONE (modified) rule I LIKE in NY....

The match DOESN'T end until the Handshake... !!

So in NY .. penalty's can be assessed for crap like this.

See 2005 state finals: Paul Fiorio vs CJ Rodriguez

The article and video have been taken down, but:

"Controversy broke out in the Division I 135-pound championship match. When the match ended, Section One senior C.J. Rodriguez was beating Section Two’s Paul Fiorio, 7-6.

That’s when things got hectic.

Rodriguez threw his headgear in the air in celebration before shaking hands, which is a rules violation.

After a discussion that lasted about 10 minutes, the two referees involved in the match hit Rodriguez with an unsportsmanlike penalty. Because Rodriguez had already had two stalling calls, the third violation became a two-point penalty. That gave the match — and the state championship — to Fiorio, 8-7.

Section One had a strong contingent in the crowd and a chorus of booing echoed through the arena. When Rodriguez was introduced as the second-place wrestler during the awards ceremony, he was greeted with a loud ovation and chants of "C.J. ... C.J. ..."