Sign in to follow this  
DF

Props to this wrestler for not shaking hands

The ONE (modified) rule I LIKE in NY....

The match DOESN'T end until the Handshake... !!

So in NY .. penalty's can be assessed for crap like this.

See 2005 state finals: Paul Fiorio vs CJ Rodriguez

The article and video have been taken down, but:

"Controversy broke out in the Division I 135-pound championship match. When the match ended, Section One senior C.J. Rodriguez was beating Section Two’s Paul Fiorio, 7-6.

That’s when things got hectic.

Rodriguez threw his headgear in the air in celebration before shaking hands, which is a rules violation.

After a discussion that lasted about 10 minutes, the two referees involved in the match hit Rodriguez with an unsportsmanlike penalty. Because Rodriguez had already had two stalling calls, the third violation became a two-point penalty. That gave the match — and the state championship — to Fiorio, 8-7.

Section One had a strong contingent in the crowd and a chorus of booing echoed through the arena. When Rodriguez was introduced as the second-place wrestler during the awards ceremony, he was greeted with a loud ovation and chants of "C.J. ... C.J. ..."

A situation not handled very well by the working official(s). There were a number of issues in that situation that should/could have been called differently that would have avoided that entire debacle.

YET... if I'm not mistaken,...the kid STILL shook hands.. and appeared on the podium.

The loosing kid did send a message...

He's a HEAD CASE...

I have ZERO sympathy for this kid...

He may actually have some wrestling talent (heck, he made the finals!)

But he's a cry baby, and a sore loser.

I'm sure he ran back to the locker room and started blaming everyone else for his loss.

If I'm a coach... I'm not touching this kid with a 10 foot pole...

There's NO place in wrestling for this.

Joe Heskett apparenty sees more in Klee than you do, but Keep judging him from what you saw in 1 match.

Since West Point is in New York maybe you can work with him on his sportsmanship...

Old Marine...I actually hope I'm wrong... As our sport doesn't need to make news for incidents like this.

I want to promote all the positive this sport has to offer.

But the reality is that, for a kid to get this far (and be this successful) in his career and STILL have attitude,... it usually doesn't change. The most current example... Cam Tessari. Ohio State cut him loose at the 11th hour (I think the reason was self explanatory)... No other team would touch him... Hofstra took a chance... and as you can see, that didn't work out. There are many others...

I don't know this kid, nor do I know anything about his history... I hope this is a one time incident... and his coach stepped up to the plate and addressed it with the kid...

Let's hope he recognizes the mistake and goes on to have a great career.

With that said... I'm going to get off this negative story.. .and look for some positive things to dwell on..

DF, my personal favorite from this year (and one you need to check out) was the Illinois kid in the state semifinals at 113 from Marist getting booed by fans and responding by throwing his headgear in the stands and giving them the bird. Maybe not the most mature thing to do but I couldn't disagree with his actions...actually find it quite hilarious

This is one of the best cases of being an anti-hero i have seen.

You know that it's good when the posters open with "Well, I know that DF is trolling... but here's what I think anyways!"

On topic, when I wrestled in HS, another team in my section refused to shake hands with the wrestlers or opposing coaches for "sanitation reasons." I always thought that made a pretty clever excuse.

This is one of the best cases of being an anti-hero i have seen.

You know that it's good when the posters open with "Well, I know that DF is trolling... but here's what I think anyways!"

On topic, when I wrestled in HS, another team in my section refused to shake hands with the wrestlers or opposing coaches for "sanitation reasons." I always thought that made a pretty clever excuse.

Pretty transparent when he just got done wrestling a match with him. Don't see any real germaphodes refusing a handshake, but wrestling someone. How many other high school sports require handshaking between opponents before and after competition other than wrestling?