Sign in to follow this  
superold

Is Zain Retherford the smallest...

141 pound collegiate wrestler and 65/66 kg freestyle wrestler ever? I constantly hear about Zain's size whenever he wrestles a highly anticipated matchup. I've heard his size mentioned more than any other college wrestler that I can remember.

I've heard Zain's lack of size mentioned as a significant reason for him losing the following matches: Aaron Pico (Fila Jrs.) Logan Stieber (Big 10/Ncaa semis) Jason Tsirtsis (Jr. trials finals) Mitchell Port (ncaa wrestlebacks).

I'm wondering how we should view these matchups. Should we consider Zain to be bumping up a weight class every match he wrestles? If Zain beats the top guys, does that clearly demonstrate that he's more skilled because he's doing it at a (alleged) far smaller size?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

I've heard on more than a few occasions that Retherford was a small 63kg wrestler when he claimed his Cadet Freestyle World title. Pico was said to be a good sized, and even big, 63kg kid. If you agree with that assessment, is it fair to say that Zain had the more impressive run to the Cadet title?

This ranks as one of the 3 most ridiculous topics in the many years of this forum.

However, he does barely make weight in the 103 lb weight class.

Why is it so ridiculous? I've heard Retherford's size/weight mentioned more than any college wrestler this past season. It's often given as a reason to explain why Retherford has come up short in some big matches.

He was said to weigh about 150 last summer so actual wt might not be evident. What is evident is the eyeball test.....and if you look at him against most anyone you have brought up you will see the difference in appearance. Then.... turn on the volume as you listen to the match and hear the same thing coming out of the mouths of those broadcasting!!

I may be that many 149 lbers walk aroung at 160+ during the off season and can handle the cut and Zain would rather not cut that much.