Sign in to follow this  
DF

The top 5 HS wrestlers from today could defeat a prime Gable

By that I mean the top 5 high school wrestlers in the country today could defeat a prime Gable when he was in college at the same weight.

The "intensity" of a prime Gable still wouldn't be enough for him to defeat a current top 5 HS wrestler in the nation.

If you don't believe me, go watch state finals matches from the past few years and compare them to NCAA finals from the 1960's/1970's. The guys from the 1960's/1970's look like they're moving in slow motion compared to today's elite high school wrestlers. Not to mention the technique is so much slicker and refined today.

If it wasn't for the fact that Gable won a Olympic Gold medal then I would think maybe but I don't think that you could take our senior level guys of today and put them against one of the Russians from that era and the US guy wins. I do believe though that at the NCAA level guys from today would fair well because the level of technique is so much higher but give them the same access to the training techniques of today and the results would probably favor the old guys.

I think if you took the top 5 guys from HS today and matched them up against Gable back then, and made sure they all had the same singlet on, but gave them each a different color of shoes, and then made sure the refs called stalling, but also Sanderson is Gables coach, the now Cal, not the when gable was young cal, but then never wrestle on their feet and give them all an easy major in college, maybe?

LOL. Do you all not remember the story by Randy Lewis (lewboo)? After stretching and warming up, Dan proceed to wrench and crank Lewis so much that Lewis would concede that Dan was much, much better than him. Remember Dan was in 40s and Randy was a prime Olympic Gold Medalist. In 50s, Randy Lewis did well in Open tourney against not too bad opponents.

In other words, Dan would have been mowing down any top HS 5 in his prime or even in his 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only wrestlers that I can see beating Dan Gable are: Lee Kemp, Dave Schultz, Mark Schultz, Bobby Douglas, Uetake, Rick Sanders, Larry Owings, Kenny Monday, John Smith, and Dan Hodge but they all have to be in prime too to beat him.

LOL. Do you all not remember the story by Randy Lewis (lewboo)? After stretching and warming up, Dan proceed to wrench and crank Lewis so much that Lewis would concede that Dan was much, much better than him. Remember Dan was in 40s and Randy was a prime Olympic Gold Medalist. In 50s, Randy Lewis did well in Open tourney against not too bad opponents.

In other words, Dan would have been mowing down any top HS 5 in his prime or even in his 40s.

I wouldn't go that far based on practice room matchups. Based on practice room matchups, you could argue for a few for well past their prime 40 years olds (in the mid 1970s) who would "mow down" a prime 22-23 year old Gable.

In 50s, Randy Lewis did well in Open tourney against not too bad opponents.

Doing well against "not too bad" opponents? I don't want to trash talk the two guys that he beat in that tournament, but there was a reason that nobody had ever heard of them. Lewis then got smoked in 30 sec by Moza Fay, and Fay had to take it easy on him with a few lifts so that he wouldn't hurt him when he put him on the mat.

Your other points about Gable smoking guys when he was 40 are well taken, but you could make the argument that Gable at age 40 was more dangerous, especially in the practice room, then he was in college.

Here is how Gable projects against the top 5 US high schoolers according to Earl's rankings of this years seniors.

1. Kyle Snyder: Woodbine, Maryland (Ohio State) 197 LBS- Snyder has the weight advantage and crushes Gable.

2. Chance Marsteller: Fawn Grove, Pennsylvania (Oklahoma State) 174 LBS- Gable has no Chance! see what I did there? 8-)

3. Bryce Brill: Mt. Carmel, Illinois (Northwestern) 157 LBS- Both his names start with B, smokes Gable

4. Jason Nolf: Rural Valley, Pennsylvania (Penn State) 149 LBS- Name rhymes with wolf, he's an animal and tears Gable to shreds.

5. Nick Nevills: Clovis, California (Penn State) 285 LBS- Almost twice Gable's size!

This is like comparing if 'Babe Ruth' is better or worse than 'Albert Pujols'. Different eras, etc.

Gable's sheer intensity and strength was unparalleled at the time. Given the above question, and given the same weight class, there are only 2-3 HS wrestlers, pound for pound, that 'may' give Gable a challenge, if Gable was in his prime.

1.) Kyle Snyder: Why? Already has formidable international accolades and won't be put off by the challenge a Gable would bring. For his size, he wrestles 'small', with quickness and power, and it would be a 'fun' matchup.

2.) Aaron Pico: Why? Very similar comments to that of Kyle Snyder. International Experience, plus solid wins over NCAA placer(s). The kid's a stud.

3.) Micah Jordan: Why? 4x state champ from a powerhouse state (OH), only lost to Pico by a point in their only matchup, has run over everyone else in the weight class nationally (Chishko, etc.), and is similar weight to Gable.

Some say Chance has a Chance, but I don't think he could beat David Taylor, Tyler Caldwell, Bo Jordan, Andrew Howe, etc... let alone someone like a Gable in his prime. Kyle Snyder has an incredible shot at being a freshman NCAA Champ at 197, Pico dominated a guy that gave a 3X champ a tough go of it in their three matches, and Micah is right there with Pico...

Thoughts?

In a 6 minute match, I would take the top 5 in PA or CA just to start.

In a 9 minute match with no TF's, things get way more dicey for todays kids. They dont condition the same way because they dont have to.

Over college senior Gable?

If you do watch the Gable vs Owings NCAA final, they actually do look pretty mediocre. Not sure what to think about this thread, since that match does kind of make you think a little bit. I definitely think alot of the college guys now would beat Gable. I think Stieber would major him.

Doesn't work that way..... if some HS kid moved the ball forward, or some coach, or technique in general, and it was successful, everybody would adopt it. Including Gable's coaches. And I suspect he would be a quick study, with an amazing work ethic, and physical prodigy abilities.

Folks who make these analogies think that technique and skills work in a vacuum.... modern wrestlers are better because of some magic evolution that "just happened". The better comparison would be a Gable with the opportunities, training, and all of that, athletes have today. He would dominate every wrestler (even Burroughs), with his abilities. Examples over the years are the Brands, and now Aaron Pico.

Doesn't work that way..... if some HS kid moved the ball forward, or some coach, or technique in general, and it was successful, everybody would adopt it. Including Gable's coaches. And I suspect he would be a quick study, with an amazing work ethic, and physical prodigy abilities.

Folks who make these analogies think that technique and skills work in a vacuum.... modern wrestlers are better because of some magic evolution that "just happened". The better comparison would be a Gable with the opportunities, training, and all of that, athletes have today. He would dominate every wrestler (even Burroughs), with his abilities. Examples over the years are the Brands, and now Aaron Pico.

Are you talking about dominating a wrestling matchup? Or are you merely comparing their physical abilities?

Folks who make these analogies think that technique and skills work in a vacuum.... modern wrestlers are better because of some magic evolution that "just happened".

To be fair, this is a DF post and he knows exactly what he is doing. Not many folks actually think technique develops in a vacuum.

The better comparison would be a Gable with the opportunities, training, and all of that, athletes have today

Those comparisons are less entertaining, because most reasonable people know that the best of one era would likely (but not always) be the best in another era if given the appropriate training. It's more fun to speculate what would happen if we fired up a DeLorean and brought somebody back to the future for an immediate match (even give them a few days of practice to get used to the rules). More often than not the stars of yesteryear would get smoked.

He would dominate every wrestler (even Burroughs), with his abilities.

This seems like a stretch. Gable was obviously great, and of course is an Olympic legend, but let's get real. He won one title, and the USSR was still intact (I know Gable won Tiblisi too, but still). Burroughs has won 3 titles already, with no more USSR. In a 9 minute match with tons of par terre, then it could get interesting. But under any rule set remotely close to the ones we have today, Burroughs would dominate.

The better comparison would be a Gable with the opportunities, training, and all of that, athletes have today. He would dominate every wrestler (even Burroughs), with his abilities.

Let's compare Gable's international career to Burroughs's. That will give us a sense of how they fared against their contemporaries.

----------------Year One-----------------------------Year Two------------------------Year Three----------------

Gable ---------did not make world team----------world champ (17-1-1)----------undefeated Oly champ

Burroughs ----undefeated world champ----------undefeated Oly champ---------undefeated world champ

To me it looks like Burroughs did better against his contemporaries than Gable did against his. Throw in the breakup of the USSR and fewer weight classes, and I think it's clear Burroughs is the more accomplished freestyler.

df must be the most ignorant human being on the planet.

LOL. Look at some of the posters he effortlessly reeled in with this nonsense. A few of whom are actually taking this debate seriously. DF vs. the mental midgets. DF wins by tech fall. :lol: