Sign in to follow this  
DF

The top 5 HS wrestlers from today could defeat a prime Gable

df must be the most ignorant human being on the planet.

LOL. Look at some of the posters he effortlessly reeled in with this nonsense. A few of whom are actually taking this debate seriously. DF vs. the mental midgets. DF wins by tech fall. :lol:

+1 :lol:

Well DumbFella..., they couldn't beat Danny today. Old, replacement hips and all he would wipe the mat with them.

And Dan Hodge would tech David Taylor in 1 period if they battled today.

Agreed. Anybody that can crush an apple with one hand will have no trouble crushing a unicorn!

Depends what rules the matches would be wrestled under. When Gable wrestled in college it was three 3-minute periods, and you had to choose up or down, you coulfn't chose neutral. I had read about Gable's wrestling career in college, but hadn't gotten to see him wrestle. I got out of the Army at the end of 1969. The Big 8 championships were at K-State. In the semis Bill Beakley a sophomore from OU who was very slick took Gable down twice in the first period. I am talking to myself " this is the great Gable who had never been beaten, he's terrible". Then in the 2nd period he got on top and I saw why he'd won all those matches.

It wasn't until after collrge that he got better on his feet. Stan Abel hired Dan as a clinician at his camp in Ohio. A high school kid named Lee Kemp was also at the camp. Stan would wrestle with Dan and take him down several times, Gable would keep wrestling until Stan got tired and Dan could take down Stan. Then Lee Kemp would workout with Dan. Stan said Gable improved to the point he could still take him doen, but it would take him 15 minutes to do it. After that he'd be too tired to do it again.

Had Dan Gable wrestled under today's rules I think he would have lost more than one match in college. He'd have had to choose top, because it is the only way he'd get there.

I actually know who you are, ban basketball, and I suggest you refrain from calling me a knothead, you loser!

Am I who I think that I am?! :P

So, tell me what your post is supposed to mean, and please do it by PM, so that we don't take up any of the board space with your nonsense. I will anxiously wait for your PM reply!

Sound good? Good...

Folks who make these analogies think that technique and skills work in a vacuum.... modern wrestlers are better because of some magic evolution that "just happened".

To be fair, this is a DF post and he knows exactly what he is doing. Not many folks actually think technique develops in a vacuum.

The better comparison would be a Gable with the opportunities, training, and all of that, athletes have today

Those comparisons are less entertaining, because most reasonable people know that the best of one era would likely (but not always) be the best in another era if given the appropriate training. It's more fun to speculate what would happen if we fired up a DeLorean and brought somebody back to the future for an immediate match (even give them a few days of practice to get used to the rules). More often than not the stars of yesteryear would get smoked.

He would dominate every wrestler (even Burroughs), with his abilities.

This seems like a stretch. Gable was obviously great, and of course is an Olympic legend, but let's get real. He won one title, and the USSR was still intact (I know Gable won Tiblisi too, but still). Burroughs has won 3 titles already, with no more USSR. In a 9 minute match with tons of par terre, then it could get interesting. But under any rule set remotely close to the ones we have today, Burroughs would dominate.

On Burroughs... smoking Burroughs was silly.... I got a little carried away. I do think Gable had a good style/'potential' skill set, to be able to beat Burroughs. Burroughs likes to shoot with some space. Gable wouldn't give him space, and would have ties/pressure which would be really hard to clear.

Of course it is all hypothetical but we may get a sample of this with Pico if he grows into that weight.

On Burroughs... smoking Burroughs was silly.... I got a little carried away. I do think Gable had a good style/'potential' skill set, to be able to beat Burroughs. Burroughs likes to shoot with some space. Gable wouldn't give him space, and would have ties/pressure which would be really hard to clear.

I simply don't agree.

As I showed above, Burroughs has already had a better freestyle career than Gable. And Burroughs did it in an era with fewer weight classes, more advanced technique, better scouting, and ex-Soviet wrestlers representing their individual countries.

I don't think there's any way to argue Gable would beat Burroughs.

Well DumbFella..., they couldn't beat Danny today. Old, replacement hips and all he would wipe the mat with them.

And Dan Hodge would tech David Taylor in 1 period if they battled today.

No, Hodge wouldn't beat Taylor. Much different level from High School wrestlers. I think Hodge would give them fits tho even at his age.

The better comparison would be a Gable with the opportunities, training, and all of that, athletes have today. He would dominate every wrestler (even Burroughs), with his abilities.

Let's compare Gable's international career to Burroughs's. That will give us a sense of how they fared against their contemporaries.

----------------Year One-----------------------------Year Two------------------------Year Three----------------

Gable ---------did not make world team----------world champ (17-1-1)----------undefeated Oly champ

Burroughs ----undefeated world champ----------undefeated Oly champ---------undefeated world champ

To me it looks like Burroughs did better against his contemporaries than Gable did against his. Throw in the breakup of the USSR and fewer weight classes, and I think it's clear Burroughs is the more accomplished freestyler.

And who knows the reason, why Gable did not "make" the World Team that first time?

Dang, I wasted a post..... I thought you were a legitimate poster and not a troll. This board is pretty frustrating that way. The wrestling community as well.... I was not even remotely surprised when they almost (and still could) lost the Olympics. The adherents of this sport are their own worst enemies. On a good note, this realization has saved me thousands of dollars I used to spend in wrestling related things.

Dang, I wasted a post..... I thought you were a legitimate poster and not a troll. This board is pretty frustrating that way. The wrestling community as well.... I was not even remotely surprised when they almost (and still could) lost the Olympics. The adherents of this sport are their own worst enemies. On a good note, this realization has saved me thousands of dollars I used to spend in wrestling related things.

Dude. After 28k posts, you can't burn one here or there?

???

If Gable could wrestle with the moves that were legal when he was wrestling he would wipe the mat with these kids. Arm bar and chicken wing them til their arms and shoulders went numb - then switch to the other side and do it again - then turn and pin.

He made a career of doing that.

Had trouble with Owings as Larry was double jointed and could slip out of the arm bars.