Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

My WAAAY too early DI 2015 predictions!

This requires a lot of educated guesses(weight changes, redshirting,eligibity, etc.) but the current lull in activity demands something to get the juices flowing.

125:Megaludis redshirts

1.)Delgado 25 pts (3x champ, 4xAA. Does this put him in the All Time Greats category?)

2.)Garrett 21 pts (3,2,2,? This kid is really good, Delgado is just the worst match up possible.)

3.)Peters 14.5 pts(Strong for the weight and a hard nosed kid. Like his chances to win one by senior year.)

4.)Gilman 13.5 pts(Other than the aberration against Brancale he looked solid. Iowa produces down low.)

5.)Waters 10 pts(Great mat skills, just not solid enough on his feet for me to pick him higher.)

6.)Tomasello 8.5 pts(Had a great redshirt year. He should be in the mix below the top 2.)

7.)Dance 6.5 pts(Had a great tourney and should prove it wasn't a fluke.)

8.)Conaway 5.5 pts(Has worked too hard for his team to not get rewarded.)

133: A freshman or 2 will inevitably throw this thinned out weight for a loop. I just don't see who. YET....

1.)Clark 23 pts (Iowa's track record at the lower weights since the Brands took over is too good to ignore.)

2.)Beckman 19 pts(He impressed me this year. He is very solid in every position.)

3.)Schopp 19 pts(I really like this kid but I do not waver when wrestlers are too 1 dimensional, especially when that is riding, a 1 match slip up is very likely.)

4.)Brewer 14.5 pts(This kid is a tournament wrestler. He will be in the mix on Saturday.)

5.)Grey 10 pts (This weight really thinned out. Cornell needs a high finish here to have a chance.)

6.)DiJulius 9 pts(Another guy who is sort of 1 dimensional, but he's dangerous enough to reach the podium.)

7.)Gulibon 7 pts(This kid is really talented. Needs a bit more muscle and an early run to regain confidence)

8.)Bruno 6 pts(Two years of taking it on the chin for the team finally pays off.)

141: Some serious talent returning.....

1.)Stieber 27.5 pts(Too good to pick against, but he better be near 100% come tourney time.)

2.)Port 20 pts(Regardless of the Henderson hiccup he is the 2nd best guy at this weight.)

3.)Retherford 15 pts(Will own this weight his last 2 years...)

4.)Carter 15 pts(He is really good, I just think the above are better.)

5.)Henderson 11.5 pts(Dangerous and a proven tournament wrestler, too bad this weight is top heavy.)

6.)Dutton 10.5 pts(UofM is starting to blossom, they will be formidable this year.)

7.)Dardanes 9 pts(Missed his chance at being a 4x AA. He should rebound and reach the podium.)

8.)Collica 8 pts(R12 at a strong weight impressed me. Should make it this year.)

149: FIREWORKS!!!!!!

1.)Stieber 25 pts(Can't resist picking back to back brothers as champions!)

2.)Tsirtsis 20 pts(This weight is a 3 horse race between Stieber, Tsirtsis and Houdashelt.)

3.)Houdashelt 15 pts(Super solid, just doesn't have the IT factor in my eyes to pick him over the above 2.)

4.)Kindig 14 pts(Making the finals had to be a HUGE confidence boost. Should finish off his career in style.)

5.)Habat 12 pts(The last of the Edinboro big 3. He is explosive and fun to watch.)

6.)Brascetta 11 pts(I think his chances at the podium are best if he is back at 149.)

7.)Villalonga 8 pts(Should make the podium but his style is too defensive for me to pick him any higher.)

8.)Minotti 6.5 pts(Him or Alton and I just can't pick Alton until I see him wrestle next year.)

157: Who stays and who goes????? I am betting on Ness staying

1.)Green 26.5 pts(Dierenger is bumping up and if Ness does also leaves he runs away with this weight.)

2.)Ness 23 pts(He is the most dangerous wrestler I have ever seen. Green is too good to get caught again.)

3.)Z. Jordan 18 pts(This kid has the pedigree and talent to keep improving.)

4.)Miller 16 pts(He is an ox. If he can stay healthy he is top 3.)

5.)Alton 13 pts(I like this Alton too much to not make the podium again.)

6.)Realbuto 11.5(The Dake influence can't be ignored.)

7.)Smith 9 pts(Gotta pick a CMU wrestler to continue their streak of AA's.)

8.)Murphy 7.5 pts(UofM will have quite a few AA's)

To be continued........

165: Dierenger, BoJo, Massa should fill in well for the loss of Taylor, Caldwell and Monk.

1.)Dierenger 26 pts(Proven and consistent. No one is returning at 165 that should hurt him moving up.)

2.)Jordan 22.5 pts(This kid is the real deal. Massa is the only other guy I can see knocking him down.)

3.)Massa 16.5 pts(I know he has had problems with Moore but I am sold on UofM this upcoming year.)

4.)Sulzer 14 pts(Should finish a solid 3x AA.)

5.)Moore 12 pts(Has to wake up and wrestle come tourney time. Iowa's hopes hinge on his performance.)

6.)Moreno 10 pts(Another tournament wrestler. He has proven to be at his best when it matters most.)

7.)Harger 8 pts(This kid really improved this past year.)

8.)Palacio 7 pts(The Dake influence continues.)

174: Marstellar and Nickal redshirt. What a hard weight to predict the top 4 order....

1.)Storley 24 pts (He pulled rabbits out of his hat last year. Can he do it again?)

2.)Evans 20 pts(Too much bad luck and injuries in his tournament past. If you believe in Karma he is due!)

3.)Kokesh 18 pts(How will he come back from injury?)

4.)Brown 17 pts(He could easily win this weight.)

5.)Wilps 14 pts(As good as he is the top4 are simply better.)

6.)Miller 12 pts(Gotta go with the hard nosed military man.)

7.)Walters 7.5 pts (Should get back on the podium.)

8.)Ottinger 6.5 pts(If he can keep his teeth to himself he can make the podium.)

184: Just not the same with Ruth gone.

1.)Dean 24.5 pts(This kid is sooo mean and relentless, I don't see anyone at this weight keeping up.)

2.)Dechow 19 pts(I was really impressed with him. He is the only one with the staying power to threaten.)

3.)Thomusseit 15.5pts(A brutal draw kept him off the podium. He will not miss this year.)

4.)Brooks 14 pts(This kid has the fire Iowa has lacked in recent tournaments.)

5.)Thomas 12 pts(PENN has a good one here. Nothing flashy but gets the job done.)

6.)Courts 10.5 pts(He will be elevated by all the high end tOSU performances around him.)

7.)Pfarr 8.5 pts(Minnesota churns out gritty low end AA's.)

8.)Dudley 7 pts (Depending on their draws this spot could easily be Abounader's.)

197: Does Cox move up. I say he does.

1.)Snyder 23 pts(I think Schiller or Gadson get him early but he will be too much in March.)

2.)Schiller 19 pts(With Cox and Heflin gone, Snyder is his only obstacle.)

3.)Gadson 17 pts(I like this kid but I think Schiller is too much for him come March.)

4.)McIntosh 16 pts(I would really like to see him at 184. He could win that weight.)

5.)Hartmann 12 pts(This Duke Blue Devil looked too good to ignore.)

6.)Burak 11 pts(He is hard nosed and gritty. Iowa needs him to perform.)

7.)Bonaccorsi 8.5 pts(Wide open weight, but PITT has shown results around this weight recently.)

8.)Bennett 7 pts(Cornell needs every AA they can get to have a chance.)

285: Cox makes this weight interesting.

1.)McMullan 25 pts(The Masden loss woke him up. He will be a monster in March.)

2.)Gwiazdowski 22 pts(Finalist lock.)

3.)Coon 17 pts(He will be a mad dog after his end of the year performance.)

4.)Cox 18 pts(I think he is a tad short for the above 3 guys, but too fast for Telford.)

5.)Telford 16 pts(The talent at this weight falls off considerably after Telford.)

6.)Medberry 12 pts (Solid enough to get the job done with this weight thinning out a bit.)

7.)Tavanello/Haines 8 pts(tOSU with another guy reaching the podium.)

8.)Marsden 7 pts (I see no reason why he can't repeat last year's performance.)

5.)

At 149 you missed an AA who held a #1 ranking and who beat T-shirt, Kindig, and Villalonga last year.

I didn't "miss him" I just don't see him making the podium. His career results are DNP, 7th, and DNP. I am just not sold on him at 149. I am not sure the Dardanes bros could get back to 133 and 141 but I think their chances would go up quite a bit if they did.

Team Results

1.)tOSU 128 pts (I have them running away with it. If they stay healthy this team is too deep and talented.)

2.)Iowa 116.5 pts (As much as I like their lower weight history I have 165-285 making the podium.)

3t.)Cornell 91 pts (A solid year, but not enough high end firepower to get it done.)

3t.)Minnesota 91 pts(Storley, Schiller and Ness do most of the scoring. Twins have to step up to move up.)

5.)PSU 82.5 pts(If Megaludis wrestles they could be in the mix, but I think they would still fall short.)

6.)OkState 63 pts (I just don't see many point scorers after Dierenger.)

I think these look good. The only one I don't understand is Peters at 3. I'm pretty sure Gilman has beaten him comfortably on several occasions and Peters against Clark at NCAAs was pretty ugly.

I simply like Peters to continue to improve and Gilman has yet to wrestle the 3 day grind that is the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't pick Peters over Clark.

I think anyone who is not picking Gwiazdowski at 285 is sadly mistaken and not being fair. He did win this year and no one ever wanted to pick him first. Then if you saw his interview, that bothered him enough to help him win. So, I guess if your a fan of his, keep picking him second, but I think you'll be wrong. Also, the kid is pretty darn talented.

Team Results

1.)tOSU 128 pts (I have them running away with it. If they stay healthy this team is too deep and talented.)

2.)Iowa 116.5 pts (As much as I like their lower weight history I have 165-285 making the podium.)

3.)Cornell 91 pts (A solid year, but not enough high end firepower to get it done.)

4.)PSU 82.5 pts(If Megaludis wrestles they could be in the mix, but I think they would still fall short.)

5.)OkState 63 pts (I just don't see many point scorers after Dierenger.)

Very little respect for Minny...not scoring 63 points? Minny will most likely have 6 AAs next year, and Kroells is a solid Hwt. Yes, they do have question marks at 125/133/165. If Ness does go 165, Kingsley will be right in the AA mix at 157.

Team Results

3.)Cornell 91 pts (A solid year, but not enough high end firepower to get it done.)

4.)PSU 82.5 pts(If Megaludis wrestles they could be in the mix, but I think they would still fall short.)

I think anyone who is not picking Gwiazdowski at 285 is sadly mistaken and not being fair. He did win this year and no one ever wanted to pick him first. Then if you saw his interview, that bothered him enough to help him win. So, I guess if your a fan of his, keep picking him second, but I think you'll be wrong. Also, the kid is pretty darn talented.

One person on here picked him to be first:

Re: If Mr. Nelson wins another HWT title he will become...

by KingofBing » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am

I would have liked to see him against Flores. That said, my money is on Gwiazdowski this year.

Team Results

Very little respect for Minny...not scoring 63 points? Minny will most likely have 6 AAs next year, and Kroells is a solid Hwt. Yes, they do have question marks at 125/133/165. If Ness does go 165, Kingsley will be right in the AA mix at 157.

Simply an oversight on my part that I have now corrected. I have them scoring 91 and finishing in a tie for 3rd with Cornell. Question marks at 125,133 and 165 are holding them down so far. If the Dardanes move down I could see a big boost in team scoring as a Dardanes, Dardanes and Short combo from 133-149 would be ideal for Minnesota. Can the Dardanes get back down again without killing themselves?

Are you related to Nick? Your tone seems to indicate you have some type of vested personal interest. I never knew picking a wrestler who has placed 3,2,3 at the DI tournament to beat the defending champ in the Finals would be such an affront.

What about Gwiazdowski's late escape and takedown to send their end of the regular season match to OT before winning makes you think he is a LOCK to beat McMullan?

I am sorry but picking a defending national champ at 285 to take 2nd the following year is far from unfair or some serious mistake in judgement. Just ask Tony Nelson or Steve Mocco. Oh, and they were both 2x defending champs.

I think these look good. The only one I don't understand is Peters at 3. I'm pretty sure Gilman has beaten him comfortably on several occasions and Peters against Clark at NCAAs was pretty ugly.

I simply like Peters to continue to improve and Gilman has yet to wrestle the 3 day grind that is the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't pick Peters over Clark.

This makes no sense to me. Gilman and Clark have never lost to Petewrs ever over a to year span, and while Gilman hasn't wrestled the "three day grind" he did win a Midland title over two days. You are reaching on that and I am a UNI alum and I really like Peters.

No vested interest, just an opinion. I have watched him for a few years now and am super impressed with his talent. I just think he will be really tough to beat, and I found it interesting that he made a comment about getting no respect last year, he wins the tourny and still can't have people picking him? So, Im picking him, thats all.

No vested interest, just an opinion. I have watched him for a few years now and am super impressed with his talent. I just think he will be really tough to beat, and I found it interesting that he made a comment about getting no respect last year, he wins the tourny and still can't have people picking him? So, Im picking him, thats all.

I think Gwiz is very good. I am picking him to make the finals. With McMullan, Coon and Telford returning as well as rumors of Cox moving up picking Gwiz to return to the finals is far from a snub. I would not be surprised if he wins it again but he could easily take 4th without it being a huge surprise.

Wow, what a great and ambitious piece of work. I love your predictions and comments. A lot of thought went in to this. Thanks for being such a great wrestling fan.

Considering it is much more difficult to determine sarcasm on this site, I will say thank you. I genuinely enjoy discussing wrestling and since the tournament is basically all that matters, and I don't do NCAA March Madness brackets, predicting AA's is my favorite part.

I posted this on theguillotine, but sense u are talking way too early predictions as well figured I would throw it on here also.

I took the guts(returning AA's, graduating AA's, new faces) of this from http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/wres ... redictions . They give their predictions of Iowa's team. I added my take onto how Minnesota looks at each weight in my opinion. After one of the more entertaining seasons in recent memory, 2015 looks to be full of intrigue and mystery.

Returning AAs:

Delgado (ILL) 7th-1st-1st

Garrett (CORN) 3rd-2nd

Megaludis (PSU) 2nd-2nd-3rd (Projected to redshirt in 2014-2015)

Dance (VT) 4th

Clark (IOWA) 5th (Projected to move up to 133)

Peters (UNI) 6th

Cruz (LEH) 7th

Hall (ISU) 8th

Cox (WYO) 8th-DNP

Top New Faces:

Gilman (IOWA) 16-3 record, Ranked as high as #3 in 2013-2014, 2013 Midlands Champ, Intermat 2012 #10 recruit

Tomasello (OHST) 19-0 record, Intermat 2013 #15 recruit

Graduating AAs:

Patterson (OKLA) DNP-7th-Rof12-Rof12

2014-2015 Outlook

We all know the ups and downs that Sam Brancale experienced during his freshman season for the maroon and gold. While many are ready to bench him, I am optimistic about his potential. He had a bright moment of pinning Gilman in a heated dual at Carver. He also had a really impressive match against Iowa State’s All American Earl Hall, until he gave up a big pin to lose his big lead and the match. The coaches are all really hopeful for Sam and he has looked really impressive in practice. I look to see Sam develop some consistency and that will translate to some on the mat success. 9 previous All Americans return, so the competition will be fierce. I see Sam as a National Qualifier this upcoming season. Any points he would score at the national tournament are an improvement obviously.

Finals Prediction: Delgado (IL) vs. Garrett (CORN)

Gopher Prediction: Brancale NQ

Returning AAs:

Schopp (EDIN) Rof12-4th

Beckman (LEH) DNP-6th

Brewer (OKLA) 7th-8th

Waters (MIZZ) DNP-Rof12-4th (Redshirted 2013-2014)

Graduating AAs:

Ramos (IOWA) Rof12-3rd-2nd-1st

Graff (WIS) 5th-5th-3rd-2nd

Colon (UNI) Rof12-3rd

Thorn (MN) DNP-7th-5th

Roth (CMU) DNP-7th

Morrison (OKST) DNP-DNP-5th-DNP

Quiroga (PUR) 6th-DNP-DNQ-Rof12

Mango (STAN) DNP-5th-5th-Rof12

Top New Faces:

Clark (IOWA) 5th at 125

2014-2015 Outlook

133 clears out with 8 All Americans graduating. Unfortunately, Minnesota at this point in time does not appear to have someone who can capitalize on this. If possible, I would strongly urge Chris Dardanes to make the cut for his senior season. I see Schopp as his strongest competition and would not be surprised if Chris would find himself in the national finals, at 133. If Chris is unable to make the cut, then I predict we see a buffet of guys filling in during the first half of the season. During that time the coaches will make the determination if they feel they have someone who can score NCAA tournament points at 133 on their roster and that person will become the starter regardless of redshirt. Ideally the gophers would be able to redshirt all incoming freshman so hopefully Someone currently in the room steps up for the season. Some rumors that Waters stays down and Garrett goes up.

Finals Prediction: Schopp (EDIN) vs. Waters (MIZ)

Gopher Prediction: Dardanes 3rd/Anyone Else DNQ

Returning AAs:

Stieber (OHST) 1st-1st-1st

Carter (VT) Rof12-5th-2nd

Port (EDIN) Rof12-2nd-3rd

Henderson (UNC) DNP-6th-4th

Retherford (PSU) 5th

Dutton (MICH) Rof12-DNP-7th

Durso (F&M) DNP-Rof12-8th

C. Dardanes (MINN) 4th-6th-Rof12

Graduating AAs:

Lazor (UNI) Rof12-6th

Undrakhbayar (CIT) 4th-DNP

Nevinger (CORN) 7th-5th-DNP

Lester (OU) 8th-DNP-DNP

2014-2015 Outlook

IMO 141 was the deepest weight in the country from 1-20 this past season and I expect much the same in 2015. If Chris Dardanes has the goal to be a national champion, this is not the weight for him to pursue that goal. Logan Stieber is a step ahead of everyone else at this weight. Chris has also shown difficulties with Port and Retherford. While I think Chris can be compete at this weight and finish as a mid All American, I just see better results for him at 133. Seth Lange spent last season recovering from knee surgery. He has had a few starts, but spent a majority of the past several years behind the depth of the Dardanes and Ness. I am intrigued to see what Lange could accomplish at a more natural weight of 141 pounds, but who knows what setbacks he has occurred due to his knee injury. If Dardanes goes 133 and Lange is not able to earn the spot, then look for ex pro paintballer(true story) Conrad Rangell to hold down 141 for his senior season.

Finals Prediction: L. Stieber (OSU) vs. Port (EDIN)

Gopher Prediction: C.Dardanes 5th/Lange NQ/Rangell NQ

Returning AAs:

Tsirtsis (NW) 1st

Kindig (OKST) DNP-DNP-2nd

Habat (EDIN) DNP-DNP-4th

Houdashelt (MIZZ) DNP-5th-5th

Minotti (LEH) 6th

N. Dardanes (MINN) Rof12-7th-DNP

H. Stieber (OHST) 6th-3rd (Redshirted in 2013-2014)

Graduating AAs:

Grajales (MICH) Rof12-Rof12-DNP-3rd

English (PSU) 6th

Maple (OKLA) DNP-4th-1st-8th

Sakaguchi (ORST) DNP-7th-5th-Rof12

Neibert (VT) Rof12-8th-Rof12

2014-2015 Outlook

I see Tsirtsis, Houdashelt and Stieber entering the year as the “top dogs”, but I don’t see much separation between them and the rest of the top 10. Tsirtsis returns as the national champion, but just because you have one doesn’t guarantee you a second one. Nick Dardanes had victories over the top 3 finishers at 149 during this past season. Nick can win a national title at 149 pounds. His mental toughness and determination following a disappointing NCAA tournament will motivate him all off season and next season. I for one cannot wait to see him begin his path of destruction. If for some reason Nick found his way back down at 141(doubtful), look for Freshman Jake Short to step in and be competitive all season long but fall short(see what I did there?) of the podium.

Finals Prediction: H. Stieber (OHST) vs. Houdashelt (MIZZ)

Gopher Prediction: Dardanes 4th/Short NQ