Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Beat The Streets Roster Released

Awesome. Super stoked to see how Garrett does. I think his strengths will translate perfectly to freestyle.

I'm not so stoked about Ruth getting more freestyle exposure. I'd rather see him in MMA. Dude would be a superstar!

Maybe Ruth doesn't feel like getting punched, kicked or choked. Fighting isn't for everybody. As talented as he is, his demeanor never led me to believe fighting suited him.

Also, have any Sanderson coached wrestlers gone on to MMA? It doesn't seem like he or his wrestlers have shown much interest.

This October 2013 article says the following:

"I definitely think about it," Ruth told me this off-season, "but it definitely comes after the Olympics -- not before that. I want to shoot for a world title, an Olympic title. I want to do all that first. Then if I feel like going into MMA, I might take a shot at it."

Sanderson thinks Ruth has the talent to pull it off. "I could see him going MMA," he said. "He's got good speed and his hands are huge.

https://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1567503

If in the end Ruth doesn't want to try MMA, I won't blame him. Getting punched in the face is not for everybody. I just think he's a genetic freak with all the tools to make a lot of money.

I agree with you 100% that he appears to have all the tools to be great in MMA. He just doesn't seem to have the demeanor for it. Maybe he hides it inside better than most, but I just don't see that mean streak you need to be a fighter. Now Varner, on the other hand, would be a 1 man wrecking crew if unleashed on the MMA circuit. I wouldn't want to get caught on the canvas with that guy, OUCH!

I wish Pico was there but he also needs to get an education. One never knows what could happen. Our sport(s) can cause injuries that may be career ending. Of course, that would be a horrible thing but it does happen. I'm sure Pico will stick around the senior circuit when the time is right. I'm not sure how Garrett will do but it sure will be exciting. Too bad I live 3000 miles west. :(

MSU, I completely agree in regards to getting punched, kicked and whatever else an MMA fighter can get away with. However, the money that MMA puts out could be very enticing. We'll see how things go with Ruth. Dude is tough as nails.

Awesome. Super stoked to see how Garrett does. I think his strengths will translate perfectly to freestyle.

I'm not so stoked about Ruth getting more freestyle exposure. I'd rather see him in MMA. Dude would be a superstar!

What kind of wrestling fan wants fewer chances to watch Ed Ruth wrestle?

One that posts MMA stuff incessantly on the wrestling forums.

Maybe Ruth doesn't feel like getting punched, kicked or choked. Fighting isn't for everybody. As talented as he is, his demeanor never led me to believe fighting suited him.

Not only this, but MMA is no surefire way to get rich. Its funny, the wrestling community looks at MMA as the promised land, but if you go on an MMA message board all they do is complain how low the pay is and how many deductions there are. Sure, GSP is filthy rich, and if you become longtime UFC top 10 guy who stays healthy, has lots of sponsors and maybe fights for the title you can make a good living. This is a big IF though, especially for a guy who has yet to show he can take a punch.

Not saying he wouldnt be good in MMA. Im sure he would be, and he might even become the champion, but going into MMA for the money is a pretty risky thing.

GSP has gotten punched in the head a lot. He has missing time and hours that he doesn't remember. He actually thinks its because he's being abducted by aliens! And this is from a guy who had a relatively safe style (usually got the takedown and GnPed the guy mixed with a little kickboxing), and relatively safe career (only KOed/TKOed once). God help those guys who took a lot of damage throughout their careers and had multiple KO and TKO losses. They will be in assisted living by age 50 and they only make enough money to get by.

It's amazing to me that many of the world's best fighters use folkstyle wrestling as their base, and use their celebrity to promote wrestling, yet many wrestling fans can't help but criticize MMA. You don't have to watch MMA or talk about it. But to put it down when wrestling is struggling to survive seems really short sighted.

As far as health risks, a recent brain study said MMA brain trauma is similar to boxing brain trauma. And there are many long-term studies out there about the effects of boxing. People are free to read those studies and decide what to do with their lives.

One that posts MMA stuff incessantly on the wrestling forums.

Sooo assuming you lost a sig bet? :lol:

I love MMA, However there are lots of risks, both physical and financial, to being a professional fighter, and I dont think guys like Ed Ruth and their fans should have to defend the desire to continue wrestling instead. Especially on a wrestling forum.

BTW Taylor vs Hasaynov is an awesome matchup. Two very aggressive wrestlers going at it. Love it, cant wait to see who JB will face.

I dont think guys like Ed Ruth and their fans should have to defend the desire to continue wrestling instead. Especially on a wrestling forum.

I simply said I would prefer to see Ruth do MMA, but I would understand if he did not. That's a pretty mild opinion. I don't think its something to get defensive over.

If Ed Ruth has a desire to go to MMA, then more power to him and I will be cheering. But, to my knowledge Ruth has not shown any interest in MMA. So he certainly shouldn't be pushed away from wrestling by someone on a wrestling website, as armspin mentioned.