Sign in to follow this  
AIW-HS

Taylor will face Hasanov at Beat the Streets

this is a great match up for Taylor and I'll be rooting for him. i'll also root for him if/when he goes over seas and competes in FILA tournaments. he's one of several serious 74 kg contenders wrestling for the US. his chances of winning the WTT, let alone placing at the worlds, remain, however, quite slim.

Why do you say that about Taylor? I do not follow the foreign wrestlers much but I think Taylor has a excellent shot at beating Burroughs and placing/winning worlds.

depends on how you define "excellent shot" and "quite slim" odds. we may not be too far off in assessments.

Taylor's odds increased now that he won't have to go through Dake at the WTT, but he will probably still have to go through Marable. then he has to beat Burroughs, then he has to beat probably 2 or 3 guys of near Burroughs level.

what odds do you put on DT beating Burroughs? multiple those odds by 3 or 4 and then you have the odds of Taylor medaling.

Why do you say that about Taylor? I do not follow the foreign wrestlers much but I think Taylor has a excellent shot at beating Burroughs and placing/winning worlds.

depends on how you define "excellent shot" and "quite slim" odds. we may not be too far off in assessments.

Taylor's odds increased now that he won't have to go through Dake at the WTT, but he will probably still have to go through Marable. then he has to beat Burroughs, then he has to beat probably 2 or 3 guys of near Burroughs level.

what odds do you put on DT beating Burroughs? multiple those odds by 3 or 4 and then you have the odds of Taylor medaling.

Taylor dominated Marable last year.

Marable has been wrestling well but I wouldn't consider him much of an obstacle for Taylor based on past results mentioned above.

Could be beat Burroughs? Sure. But he is still 0-9 between him and Dake, so until he shows he can actually win against these guys I won't be betting on him starting on any world teams.

Wasn't Hasanov a 66 KG guy who has bumped up? How has he performed at the new weight?

Didn't Hasanov place 2nd a few weeks at the Euro Championship? It's surprising that he competed at 74kg instead of 65 or 70 that seems like quite a big bump up. I remember Metcalf struggled against this guy initially, then figured out how to beat him. And this was under the old FS rules.

Hasanov beat Metcalf pretty good the first time. Just bull-rushed Brent and appeared a notch stronger that match. (After watching, I was like, wow, Hasanov looked like the Iowa wrestler.)

Then Metcalf beat him at that London Olympic trial thing. Don't know if they ever wrestled other matches. But yes, Hasanov has quite a resume.

Hasaynov was a very good 66 kg guy, 2x world bronze and Olympic 5th- but too big for the weight I think he beat Metcalf twice (dual meet and tournament in the same week) and then lost to him before the Olympics. He hasnt been quite as impressive at 74, likely because he relies on strength and aggression which will not work as well against the bigger guys. Still, 2nd at University worlds and Euros. Took the 74 kg spot from Aliyev, another world medallist who beat Dake this year. I wonder if one of them will end up at 70.

i think Taylor will beat him, especially at home, but it a good test for sure.

yes he did. so what odds would you put on DT winning the WTs and what odds would you put on him medaling at the WC?

Beats me. I do not have a crystal ball, but I'll be watching though.

yes he did. so what odds would you put on DT winning the WTs and what odds would you put on him medaling at the WC?

Beats me. I do not have a crystal ball, but I'll be watching though.

cool i will be watching too. i also dont have a crystal ball but i do not think it is a stretch to say that DT has slim odds of beating Burroughs 2 times at the WTT, and thus even slimmer odds of medaling at the 2014 WC. it would be cool if he does, tho.

Doesn't matter to me. I enjoy watching the guy wrestle because his skill set is crazy. I enjoy Burroughs too simply because of his insane athleticism. Nobody has Burroughs' quickness at that weight, but Taylor still found a way to make it real close and I respect that.

Doesn't matter to me. I enjoy watching the guy wrestle because his skill set is crazy. I enjoy Burroughs too simply because of his insane athleticism. Nobody has Burroughs' quickness at that weight, but Taylor still found a way to make it real close and I respect that.

cool, looks like we agree all around. no sarcasm intended.

looking forward to the event. the first 2 match ups are great so far.

Why are people assuming that Marable will be at 74kg for WTT? They announced before the World Cup (and Marable confirmed in interviews) that he would be competing at 70 for Worlds until the Olympics. Has that changed? I still consider Burroughs a solid favorite over Taylor at WTT, just as I'd consider Burroughs a solid favorite over Marable tomorrow. Even after DT's incredible performance, you have to give the champ the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I think Jaroslav is overstating the near impossibility of Taylor medaling if he were to win the spot. Let's say that Burroughs gets hurt, and DT is our guy. You really think it's fair to say he'd have to go through 3 guys at or very near Burroughs' level to even sniff a medal? Burroughs just won the Worlds on a broken ankle without any close matches. Now I do expect this upcoming Worlds to be more difficult when Russia figures out their guy, and some of these competitors from the tournament Dake placed 5th in thrown into the mix -- but you're seemingly overstating the depth at 74kg. It's not nearly as deep as 66kg or 96kg or even 86kg.

Why are people assuming that Marable will be at 74kg for WTT? They announced before the World Cup (and Marable confirmed in interviews) that he would be competing at 70 for Worlds until the Olympics. Has that changed? I still consider Burroughs a solid favorite over Taylor at WTT, just as I'd consider Burroughs a solid favorite over Marable tomorrow. Even after DT's incredible performance, you have to give the champ the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I think Jaroslav is overstating the near impossibility of Taylor medaling if he were to win the spot. Let's say that Burroughs gets hurt, and DT is our guy. You really think it's fair to say he'd have to go through 3 guys at or very near Burroughs' level to even sniff a medal? Burroughs just won the Worlds on a broken ankle without any close matches. Now I do expect this upcoming Worlds to be more difficult when Russia figures out their guy, and some of these competitors from the tournament Dake placed 5th in thrown into the mix -- but you're seemingly overstating the depth at 74kg. It's not nearly as deep as 66kg or 96kg or even 86kg.

i said slim odds. not near impossible. maybe you consider those terms interchangeable but i dont.

slim odds to me are 10 to 1 or less. i think DT has no more than 1 in 10 shot at beating Burroughs 2 out of 3 times (~3 to 1 odds x2). assuming Burroughs is healthy, winning a medal AND beating JB will be tougher than just beating JB at the team trials. thus DT's odds of medaling are less than 10 to 1.

assuming DT gets the start at the WC, what are his odds of medaling? that's tougher to figure but 3 to 1 odds i think is a pretty good guess, if not overly optimistic. if DT was one of the top 8 wrestlers in the world and everyone in the top 8 at 74 was equally matched and there were no other wrestlers he'd still only have a 50% shot at medaling.

anyway, 3 to 1 odds X3 = 1/27, or less 4 in 100 chance of medaling, going into the WTT with a healthy Burroughs. that's how i figured the slim odds. if i'm off any any assumptions or if i screwed up the math feel free to let me know.

If DT beats Burroughs 2 out of 3 I would think his odds of meddling would be pretty hood. To say the least. I doubt he does, but if he does it would be fair to call him the favorite, or at least one of the top 2 or 3 guys, for gold.

You're getting caught up in semantics. As it's clearly delineated in my lengthy post, I take no issue with your analysis of his slim (or whatever word you choose) chances defeating Burroughs. Your analysis of the opposition at Worlds is what I took issue with specifically, and you've yet to combat that -- just threw me back some numbers.

You're getting caught up in semantics. As it's clearly delineated in my lengthy post, I take no issue with your analysis of his slim (or whatever word you choose) chances defeating Burroughs. Your analysis of the opposition at Worlds is what I took issue with specifically, and you've yet to combat that -- just threw me back some numbers.

I don't think so.

Taylor has not had an opportunity to show he can reliably beat international competition. That's why he's not ranked. And it was only last summer he got teched by Tsargush. I'm sure that Taylor will do well internationally, especially when he starts training freestyle full time, but right now he has no international track record.

Even if Taylor beats Burroughs for the world-team spot, his lack of a track record will mean he is not a favorite to medal. When McCoy beat Neal for the Olympic team, Neal was a returning world champ and FILA most outstanding wrestler award winner. But McCoy's win over Neal didn't make him a favorite to medal.

Taylor's an incredible wrestler, but we've had many incredible wrestler fail to win world medals. Only time will tell.