Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

1.Ruth 2.Taylor 3.Dake according to D1 College Wrestling

it should be noted that this is not a subjective ranking by Earl at D1CW, but an objective ranking based on a formula. DT over KD is entirely due to the weighted point structure that values B1G titles far more than EIWA titles.

to even suggest that DT had a better college career than KD without that caveat would be pretty silly.

glad this was posted though, Earl's recruiting rewinds are awesome and worth checking out. lot of work went into them.

This is how they are ranked AFTER their college careers have finished, according to the authoritative D1 College Wrestling. A very informative look at how wrestlers were ranked before and after their college careers.

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_2009.html

Since you used the word "authoritative" that makes it the law now.

In summation: 2 NCAA championships > 4 NCAA championships

Does this mean that Metcalf is a better wrestler than Sanderson?

Discuss...

too lopsided for the big ten would be better off doubling all the points and treating tough conference champs equally and just giving points for placers in the big ten that don't get points in the other conferences

I don't see how anyone would have Dake over Taylor at this point. Taylor had two NCAA titles and almost won 2 matches against Dake (7 if we count exhibitions and free style (well, 6 really, because he did give up the pin that one time)). All Dake has is 4 titles and 2 matches he BARELY won over David Taylor. People need to get over Dake and get on the bandwagon...

I don't see how anyone would have Dake over Taylor at this point. Taylor had two NCAA titles and almost won 2 matches against Dake (7 if we count exhibitions and free style (well, 6 really, because he did give up the pin that one time)). All Dake has is 4 titles and 2 matches he BARELY won over David Taylor. People need to get over Dake and get on the bandwagon...

10/10

:roll: anyone can come up with ways to deflate Dake...... until you get on the mat

Donnie Vinson did it on the mat.

You only get a 2.5/10 on this one. You forgot Reece Humphrey, Zach Bailey and Kevin Levalley.

This is definitely NOT on par with your prior work. You are slipping and need to step it up. Do your name justice or we will replace you!

The formula used to come up with these "objective" rankings is very subjective. I could probably come up with an "objective" formula that puts Metcalf above Sanderson, because Sanderson never won a Big 10 title. How I came up with that formula would be very subjective, though.

The formula used to come up with these "objective" rankings is very subjective. I could probably come up with an "objective" formula that puts Metcalf above Sanderson, because Sanderson never won a Big 10 title. How I came up with that formula would be very subjective, though.

----

Bingo!

These things are entertaining to look at and sometimes informative, but the "formula" or criteria used to measure these things is very important.

SHP has occasionally posted his computer projections. Bless him, he is an asset to this forum, and I find them interesting to look at, but sometimes an ounce of common sense tells you that, despite the computer's answer, the reality may turn out different.

It pits Big10 titles ahead of EIWA titles... Stop over analyzing that Dake didn't finish first. Earl does not have a vendetta against Dake.

No, but to state that an individual wrestler is better just because he wrestled in the B1G is just plain idiotic. If that's true, then maybe we should just do away with the individual NCAA tournament altogether, and declare the B1G champ the national champ as well? (Hmmm, maybe this is Earl's point?)

No, but to state that an individual wrestler is better just because he wrestled in the B1G is just plain idiotic. If that's true, then maybe we should just do away with the individual NCAA tournament altogether, and declare the B1G champ the national champ as well? (Hmmm, maybe this is Earl's point?)

Don't put words in my mouth.

Here is what I posted on my message board right after I posted the Recruiting Rewind...

"This is the first time in the five seasons that I have done the "Recruiting Rewind" that I am not too pleased with the results. I will admit that the point system is very Big Ten biased, but then again it does prove to be the best conference by far, year in and year out. However, Kyle Dake with 4 NCAA titles is tied with Tony Nelson for third. There are a couple of other guys who are from that Big Ten that may be a little higher than you would have guessed"

If it were strictly my opinion it would be Kyle Dake #1. As I stated above, this is the first time that the Big Ten-heavy point system produced results that I strongly disagree with.

DAKE:

Collegiate Career: 137-4 Record, 4x NCAA Champion at 4 Different Weights, 3x EIWA Champ, 4x EIWA Finalist, 2 Unndefeated Seasons, Hodge Trophy Winner

I wonder how his record would read if he had been in the B10?

This comment is interesting:

If it were strictly my opinion it would be Kyle Dake #1. As I stated above, this is the first time that the Big Ten-heavy point system produced results that I strongly disagree with.

:roll: anyone can come up with ways to deflate Dake...... until you get on the mat

Donnie Vinson did it on the mat.

You only get a 2.5/10 on this one. You forgot Reece Humphrey, Zach Bailey and Kevin Levalley.

This is definitely NOT on par with your prior work. You are slipping and need to step it up. Do your name justice or we will replace you!

2.0/10

You forgot Burroughs!

The guy came up with a formula that seemed to work over the years. You put in the records and the formula pops out a ranking.

I personally think it's hilarious that Taylor ranked above Dake using his formula. It put a whole bunch of people's panties in a wad.

The guy came up with a formula that seemed to work over the years. You put in the records and the formula pops out a ranking.

I personally think it's hilarious that Taylor ranked above Dake using his formula. It put a whole bunch of people's panties in a wad.[/quot

And you sure know about wads in your panties.

Any ranking system that would place Ruth or Taylor above Dake is flawed.