Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Gatsalov vs Snyder!!!

holy....

This is not going to work out well for Snyder...

The kid wanted to wrestle seniors this year and could have done well. They should have let him period. Now anything except a Gatsalov tech here would be a victory for Snyder.

It's not like this is the World Cup. Beat the Streets is for entertainment and to draw attention to the sport. See no issue throwing Snyder to the wolves, obviously he'll be expected to lose badly. Hopefully the two wrestlers can put on a great show.

True, BTS is awesome for our sport. Now that freestyle wrestling is much more exciting, I see some new fans coming along. I wish I could be back there to watch these matches in person.

Let's hope officials don't get in the way of the wrestling.

Hubbard,

I did not know that he has one senior level tourney under his belt already. Last year at 17 is a big difference though. Did he wrestle any #1 guys? Outside of Yazdani I can not see a tougher opponent. Gatsalov may have lost a step but he is still winning world titles and credential wise is the best wrestler in the world! Kudos to whomever set this match up.

Gatsalov is a 6 time champ and defending Heavyweight champ but he has lost a step in my opinion. That sounds bad but this is not the same prime Gatsalov that wrestled Cael and Cormier in 2004. Hard to believe he is still winning titles 11 years later! When Gatsalov won 4 in a row from 04-07 nobody could touch him-well Cael came the closest to beating him during that run but Snyder will get a much older Gatsalov. I think Snyder has a chance hear or they would not have set the match up.

As much as I'd love to see Snyder pull off the upset, I think we need to remember who Gatsalov is. It's true that he is not in his prime, but this guy still practically walked through the HW division at Worlds last year. To make an Analogy: If Cael had not retired in '04, kept on wrestling full time until now, and moved up to HW by putting on solid muscle, do you think Snyder would have much of a chance? Well, this guy beat Cael in 2003, as both were approaching their prime. If Snyder wins it would be great, but I just don't see it happening.

Cael is three years older than Gatsalov but they both won the Olympics 8 months after their epic battle at the World Cup so they were in their primes 11 years ago and Gatsalov is still getting it done. Cael takes 7 years off and nearly wins worlds after cutting way down to 185 to avoid Varner. Cael would have been a 3 or 4 timer at least especially after Sajidov hurt his back. I know Snyder has wrestled Cael some and gets a good idea where he stands. From what I hear Snyder wanted Gatsalov over any other matchup!!! That is big balls!!! According to Varner Cael is still his #1 training partner even at 34 years old. I wish CAel would not have retired-so evident with Gatsalov dominating the way he is that CAel could have been our best or 2nd best freestyler ever. After 2008 I think Cael would have went to 211lbs if he wrestled through 2012. Anyway good luck Snyder-you wanted this match brother!

Snyder is a stud with a bright future, but this is a man vs. a boy. Remember, in his one tournament on the senior level, Snyder lost to Leon Rattigan of the U.K. at the Henri Deglane. Rattigan is a nice wrestler, making Britain's world team once back in 2009, but he isn't really on the radar internationally and certainly has never been a medal threat. Snyder simply isn't ready to challenge Gatsalov.

That said, I'm glad this match is happening. Should be a great learning experience and yardstick for Snyder to see where he's at and what he needs to work on, to get to where he wants to go.

bravo young man.

Proved us all wrong. It was a close match, a truly close match, and not just by score. I didn't think he'd be able to move Gatsalov as much as he did.

Watching that match, it makes me re-think Slay's decision to only wrestle Snyder at the Junior level... He would finish second to Varner, and would give Varner a tough go.

Do you really think these Russians are even close to their peak level of performance for our BTS, "Show"?

Do you really think the Russians are at their peak for the Dave Schultz in the winter?

The answer is, "heck no"....If Snyder catches Gatsalov in July or August, he's toast......

The bottom line here is Kyle Snyder should be wrestling seniors period. A lot of us thought that but now we know that. Why in the world would he want another Jr world title? He already has one and he is 18 now. I don't get it. He should have been wrestling 213 or 275 at the senior trials. He could have won either of those weights. Why hold him back???

Retiredposter -

This is the same feedback we heard when Pico made his senior debut. No, Gatsalov is not peaking for BTS. BTW, neither is Snyder.

An 18 year old staying on the mat with a 6X World/Olympic gold medalist is absolutely ridiculous, no matter the circumstances. Hats off to Snyder - he's a very special talent.