Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Gatsalov vs Snyder!!!

Do you really think these Russians are even close to their peak level of performance for our BTS, "Show"?

Do you really think the Russians are at their peak for the Dave Schultz in the winter?

The answer is, "heck no"....If Snyder catches Gatsalov in July or August, he's toast......

This is a cop out.

When an American loses at Yarygin or somewhere else in Russia do you dismiss it since they travelled? When a Russian wins in an exhibition do you dismiss it? Was Snyder peaking for this?

It would be foolish to assume Snyder is 3 points away from a world championship because of a single 6-3 loss yesterday. It would be just as foolish to completely dismiss it because it didn't happen at the world championships.

barrett,

I think you need to differentiate an official A-level tournament from an exhibition, regardless of travel.

A tournament like the Yarigin has all kinds of deep implications: selection for Europeans, World Teams, etc. Therefore, many athletes take it very seriously. An exhibition has no implications on anything. Once the pressure goes up, many otherwise "elite" athletes start making basic mistakes.

The gap between Russia and U.S. in terms of wrestling is still quite large and there is no indication that it will close anytime soon.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/74323 ... 2wAsfnM1Ng

Slay explains it for ya.

People need to quit questioning what is working. USA Wrestling is loaded with studs right now. Potential world placers in most every weight class. We couldn't buy a world medal about 5 years ago, now we have studs 3 deep who could potentially place at several weight classes.

I totally disagree here with Slay on Snyder. You can not wrestle seniors until your 38. Maybe 33 if your lucky. And before that injuries can keep you from your dreams at 22. Kyle wants to wrestle seniors now. He has already won a jr title. Who cares about 3 jr titles. Put him up against Tervel or Varner now. Pico I get it because he is 17-he should wait a year. One cadet title is enough. One jr title is enough. We have not had a 18 year old ready to win a world title before. We won't have this problem very often.

Do you really think these Russians are even close to their peak level of performance for our BTS, "Show"?

Do you really think the Russians are at their peak for the Dave Schultz in the winter?

The answer is, "heck no"....If Snyder catches Gatsalov in July or August, he's toast......

What is your problem? Why do you constantly have to bash on the phenoms? Eighteen year old Kyle Snyder just showed an insane amount of potential in losing a close one with a 6x world champ. Even if Gatsolov is not in the best shape it was still a good showing from Snyder. Not a single person on these boards wants to constantly read your negative posts, especially about two phenominal young wrestlers who are the future of USA wrestling and could compete and hold their own against the top guys today.

barrett,

I think you need to differentiate an official A-level tournament from an exhibition, regardless of travel.

A tournament like the Yarigin has all kinds of deep implications: selection for Europeans, World Teams, etc. Therefore, many athletes take it very seriously. An exhibition has no implications on anything. Once the pressure goes up, many otherwise "elite" athletes start making basic mistakes.

The gap between Russia and U.S. in terms of wrestling is still quite large and there is no indication that it will close anytime soon.

I was not comparing BTS to Yarygin. The poster I quoted mentioned the Schultz tournament and implied that any result that happens in the USA is a result that should be disregarded for Russian competitors.

Obviously Yarygin is tougher, but where does it stop. Does Burroughs' loss have no relevance because the tournament wasn't that tough and he crossed an ocean before wrestling? Did Gatsalov compete recently at Euros? At Russian Nationals? Did he get that far out of shape and away from peak in the last month? Did he wrestle like he didn't take it seriously last night? Did he try big moves and wrestle more open and that's the only reason Snyder scored? I am seeing no logical argument, just "it was close(ish) so Gatsalov didn't try."

Like I said, it is foolish to look at a single exhibition result and declare Snyder ready to compete for a world title on that alone. It is also foolish to just say Gatsalov didn't try because it was in America and he'll "toast" him next time.

barrett,

I think its just hard to extrapolate from exhibitions. Also, IMO, Gatsalov is obviously much more mature these days and is at the end of his career (may be 2 more years max remaining) and scores when he needs to. At this stage, he would beat Snyder 10/10, by relatively low scores I think (6:3, 5:2, etc).

I don't think results can be completely disregarded. It means something, but the are also not very indicative of worlds, olympics or other A-level tournaments, and can be confusing (both BTS or other such exhibitions).

Re: Snyder,

I think it is important to bring up guys slowly. For instance, send Snyder around a bit to senior level tournaments and see how he does over the next couple of years, let him get some experience.

Even if he somehow wins WTT and is allowed there, he would get crumbled badly if he meets the likes of Gadisov or Yazdani at the worlds. Look at what Yazdani did to Varner prior to the Olympics, this was borderline illegal :) I don't think this would be good for Snyder's confidence or for his future career. I think these exhibitions are great for him and then slowly to few senior level tournaments.

Snyder is clearly a great talent, but he is no phenom. A phenom would be B. Saitiev who won a senior world title @19. Snyder just needs to be brought along carefully. I don't agree with Slay that he needs to compete at junior worlds, he needs more senior level tournaments.

I agree wfan. I have never seen Snyder wrestle. After very limited results last night I would suspect he'd lose to Gatsalov 10/10 times. I'd not be suprised to see Snyder score TDs in some of those matches, and I'd expect most to go the distance. In other words, he looked like he belonged on the mat (just like Russia's JR world champs fare well immediately at the SR level), but not like he'd really threaten to win. Who knows about 6 months or a year from now.

I watched the match again....forget it...Gatsalov scored literally AT WILL. Basically, anytime he wanted, he scored. I am shocked people thought Snyder did well. Against someone like Gadisov or Yazdani who go all out, it would look very ugly.

I totally disagree here with Slay on Snyder. You can not wrestle seniors until your 38. Maybe 33 if your lucky. And before that injuries can keep you from your dreams at 22. Kyle wants to wrestle seniors now. He has already won a jr title. Who cares about 3 jr titles. Put him up against Tervel or Varner now. Pico I get it because he is 17-he should wait a year. One cadet title is enough. One jr title is enough. We have not had a 18 year old ready to win a world title before. We won't have this problem very often.

Buddy switch to decaf before you have an aneurysm. You're desperate for the kid to take over for the Olympic gold medalist? Why don't you ask around what happened when him and Varner locked horns in the room not long ago and then get back to us.

I'm sure your international coaching resume is top notch and all but for the time being lets leave the decision making to those who have actually competed on the international circuit and own world and Olympic medals. I know you mean well and you think you have a clue what you're talking about, I get that. I wont burst your bubble and tell you you're clueless and making a fool of yourself instead I'm just saying, lets switch you up to decaf for the time being. Mkay?

You guys need to relax....Pico and Snyder's time will come...it isn't now. Let them develop. mature....

Here you go again, with the "room"references....We were all great in the room.

Snyder isn't beating Varner..Just as Pico isn't beating Metcalf and a host of others...Right now, or within this Olympic cycle.

I'm excited about our future...

Hubbard is a classy Canuck..We used to duke it out, back in the day..haha

Gatsalov was coasting like it was a soap box derby. Took his 10k to show up and didnt feel like breaking a sweat.

Snyder in 4 years is a way different ball game. Hope things go according to plan for him

Thanks, Matt...You're a wise man!

Retiredposter -

This is the same feedback we heard when Pico made his senior debut. No, Gatsalov is not peaking for BTS. BTW, neither is Snyder.

An 18 year old staying on the mat with a 6X World/Olympic gold medalist is absolutely ridiculous, no matter the circumstances. Hats off to Snyder - he's a very special talent.

Dan....This is the same deal...We both know, that the Russians, when they come here for the Schultz and BTS, they are not peaking, not serious, and are out haveing a good time..not terribly focused on the competition and at times, it shows...

Pico and Snyder's time will come. Both are very talented. Both will have nice careers. In the future.

Buddy switch to decaf before you have an aneurysm. You're desperate for the kid to take over for the Olympic gold medalist? Why don't you ask around what happened when him and Varner locked horns in the room not long ago and then get back to us.

I'm sure your international coaching resume is top notch and all but for the time being lets leave the decision making to those who have actually competed on the international circuit and own world and Olympic medals. I know you mean well and you think you have a clue what you're talking about, I get that. I wont burst your bubble and tell you you're clueless and making a fool of yourself instead I'm just saying, lets switch you up to decaf for the time being. Mkay?

Cletus,

I think your the one about to blow, not me. Listen how many times have we had this problem with one of our 18 year olds? Right now Snyder is the only one capable of making the team as a 17/18 year old. PIco is simply to young this year so he is out. Snyder already wrecked the jr's last year at worlds. What else does he have to prove as a junior? I disagree with Slay-so what that is all. Snyder disagrees with Slay also by the way. I would never hold a kid back because you never know what next year holds. Yes Synder may have lost to Varner during the 2 minutes goes but he is right there with him and during a really live match who knows. Why not let him try? Peace.

i'm shocked that people are thinking snyder is ready to compete on the sr world stage based on this match.

ever been a coach who wrestle's one of his athletes? score when you want, rest when you need to and don't hurt yourself or him. gatsalov was in total control and snyder did well for a kid wrestling a grown up.

The family and Snyder say said wrestle seniors. The coaches said no. I may be wrong but I thought all along even before the Gatsalov match that he was ready. Could he make the team this year-maybe not but he is right there. At the moment I would rank him 4th behind Wynn, JD and Varner.

The family and Snyder say said wrestle seniors. The coaches said no. I may be wrong but I thought all along even before the Gatsalov match that he was ready. Could he make the team this year-maybe not but he is right there. At the moment I would rank him 4th behind Wynn, JD and Varner.

4th may be generous. in any case, 4th on our ladder is usually a long way from competitive internationally.