Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Gatsalov vs Snyder!!!

This is why we need new coaches. I am a bystander in the wrestling world and my sons wrestle and I support a club. I knew Snyder was ready at 18 because Varner was only beating him like 1-1, 4-2 , 6-2, 2-1, 3-2 in their room goes and I am a Varner fan but I knew what we had with Snyder. I thought he would be ready to take Varner's spot in 2017 but was not shocked when he took it in 2015. To me it was obvious he was ready. Slay and Zadick and Zeke were not thinking clearly. And if you look back in this post I call Cox and Snyder phenoms and the future at 213 and 275! Didn't know it would be 213 and 189 

It is funny to see Cletus and others bash me here:-)  

Edited by PRyan2012

This is why we need new coaches. I am a bystander in the wrestling world and my sons wrestle and I support a club. I knew Snyder was ready at 18 because Varner was only beating him like 1-1, 4-2 , 6-2, 2-1, 3-2 in their room goes and I am a Varner fan but I knew what we had with Snyder. I thought he would be ready to take Varner's spot in 2017 but was not shocked when he took it in 2015. To me it was obvious he was ready. Slay and Zadick and Zeke were not thinking clearly. And if you look back in this post I call Cox and Snyder phenoms and the future at 213 and 275! Didn't know it would be 213 and 189 

It is funny to see Cletus and others bash me here:-)  

I have to eat crow here .  

Snyder went on to win a bronze medal in juniors.   What were the coaches thinking, by not putting him at with the seniors?  

I knew he was ready. And I knew Gatsalov did not take it light on him. The coaches wanted him to wrestle jrs one more year which was obviously the wrong decision then and looking back.

This is ridiculous.  Do you follow baseball? Sometimes it's best for the development of an athlete to leave him in the minors and get some more seasoning prior to competing with the big boys, even if he may be competitive at that level.  I'm pretty sure Snyder/the coaches have no regrets about keeping him at juniors at 18.  Also, Snyder made huge strides in his development from his senior year of HS to his True freshman year of college....There's no doubt he was a much better wrestler in 2015 when he won world gold than in 2014 when he won junior bronze.  

The guy that beat Snyder teched Kilgore just before Jr worlds-he was a beast. So yea you want your crow fried or grilled? jk man:-)

I'll go ahead and have it in a wine, butter, garlic sauce, simmered until it absorbs into the pressed, crow.  

Billy,

That is true with 99% of athletes. But Snyder is so rare that sometimes (this being one) that you have him go win a title no matter the age. He truly is a 1%er of the 1%. Much better than Burroughs at 18. The only guy that comes close after their freshman years is Sanderson when he wrestled the world champ Gutches. I agree in normal circumstances bring them up slowly but Snyder is not normal! The kid wanted to wrestle everyone-Tervel, Gatsalov, Varner, it did not matter to him. NO fear!!!!

Edited by PRyan2012

Billy,

That is true with 99% of athletes. But Snyder is so rare that sometimes (this being one) that you have him go win a title no matter the age. He truly is a 1%er of the 1%. Much better than Burroughs at 18. The only guy that comes close after their freshman years is Sanderson when he wrestled the world champ Gutches. I agree in normal circumstances bring them up slowly but Snyder is not normal! The kid wanted to wrestle everyone-Tervel, Gatsalov, Varner, it did not matter to him. NO fear!!!!

There's no way to know whether he was ready in 2014.  It's a waste of time to go back and debate it.  He might have been, but neither of us really knows the answer. All we know is that he definitely was ready in 2015.  

There's no way to know whether he was ready in 2014.  

I agree.  It's far from a foregone conclusion that he was ready in 2014 just because he was ready in 2015.  The learning curve and physical development curve at that age is straight up.  He may have gotten 8th place at our nationals in '14 and been world champ in '15.  There is just no way to know because improvement is coming so quickly for a guy that big at that age. (I tend to think he would have been VERY interesting to watch at our nationals in '14 and may even have been our guy.  Again, i'm just making the point that it's not cut and dried considering his age.)

Edited by maligned

As a Varner fan I said he was ready to challenge Varner then because I knew how he was wrestling Tervel, JD and Varner but most on here were killing me for suggesting the coaches were wrong. Snyder said he was ready to go seniors and wanted to go seniors but the coaches blocked it. I think that was the wrong decision then and now 100%. And he was already a Jr world champ dominating the field. Who cares about another Jr world title if the guy himself wants to bump up. I did not resurrect this post to gloat-another poster did. Just funny though how bad I was getting killed when there was mountains of evidence he should have gone seniors. His Gatsalov match just proved to me he was ready plus his OTC matches. Snyder would wrestle anyone, anytime and anywhere and I love that even though I pull against him most of the time. He was light years ahead of say Burroughs at 18 and who in our history at 18 was where Snyder was at 18? Sanderson or D Schultz? Pretty exclusive list Snyder is on.

As a Varner fan I said he was ready to challenge Varner then because I knew how he was wrestling Tervel, JD and Varner but most on here were killing me for suggesting the coaches were wrong. Snyder said he was ready to go seniors and wanted to go seniors but the coaches blocked it. I think that was the wrong decision then and now 100%. And he was already a Jr world champ dominating the field. Who cares about another Jr world title if the guy himself wants to bump up. I did not resurrect this post to gloat-another poster did. Just funny though how bad I was getting killed when there was mountains of evidence he should have gone seniors. His Gatsalov match just proved to me he was ready plus his OTC matches. Snyder would wrestle anyone, anytime and anywhere and I love that even though I pull against him most of the time. He was light years ahead of say Burroughs at 18 and who in our history at 18 was where Snyder was at 18? Sanderson or D Schultz? Pretty exclusive list Snyder is on.

I resurrected it because I happened to come across t and thought other people would enjoy reading it. Interesting to read in hindsight. Not blaming anyone for having bad predictions. We all have.

He proved to be third best junior in 2014 (if world placement, is an accurate representation, of how good one is).   No reason to believe he couldn't be a top 10 senior.    

And the following year, with the circumstances in place, he reached #1.   I have no question he will be top 5 in Rio, and really solidify himself as one of the top guys in the world.  He is truly a special talent and I expect to see another 2 cycles from him, at the highest levels.