Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Beat the Street Match Ups

giving them their own thread. they look pretty awesome.

57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Nahshon Garrett (USA) vs. George Vangelov (Bulgaria)

61 kg/134 lbs. – Jimmy Kennedy (USA) vs. Aleksandr Bogomoev (Russia)

65 kg/143 lbs. – Logan Stieber (USA) vs. Haislan Garcia (Canada)

65 kg/143 lbs. – Jordan Oliver (USA) vs. Boris Novachkov (Bulgaria)

65 kg/143 lbs. – Brent Metcalf (USA) vs. Magomed Kurbanaliev (Russia)

74 kg/163 lbs. – David Taylor (USA) vs. Yabrail Hasanov (Azerbaijan)

74 kg/163 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs (USA) vs. Atsamaz Sanakoev (Russia)

86 kg/189 lbs. – Ed Ruth (USA) vs. Taymuraz Friev (Spain)

97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyle Snyder (USA) vs. Khadjimurat Gatsalov (Russia)

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... uare-May-7

These are going to be some great match ups. Kennedy, and Metcalf, may get a very good indication of where they stand on the Global stage. Hopefully, both will continue wrestling they way they have been as of late. I hope that Kennedy can solve the Bogomoev riddle.

Snyder's match will be interesting, (all the matches will be interesting), hopefully Gatsalov's gas tank is what it usually is, and Snyder is able take advantage of that. I realize it will be a daunting task for him, but let's hope for the best. I think that Jordan Oliver, will prevail, I think it might be a little tougher for Logan Stieber. I believe David Taylor will tech or pin Hasanov, additionally, I also believe Jordan Burroughs will once again rise to the challenge. Ed Ruth's match will give an indication on what lot's of people are thinking, (that he will be the guy at 86kg. At some point soon). Good luck to our men and women in this endeavor.

Quick breakdown:

61kg Kennedy will have his hands full with Bogomoev again, but should still give him a very tough match. Bogomoev should be the favorite here, but won't be surprised to see this go either way.

65kg Oh boy, here we go!

Steiber vs Garcia should be a great match-up. Garcia is always tough as nails, and is usually right there with the World's best. But I'm expecting Logan to "out-technician" Garcia and pull off a big win. Remember Opan Sat? (After Hasanov was announced as Taylor's opponent, I was hoping 2012 Olympic champ Asgarov would be Steiber's opponent here - a rematch of 2011 Junior World finals. Oh well, Garcia is still top notch.)

Oliver vs Novachkov Former NCAA rivals meet again. Haven't seen Boris lately, but his recent stats look very good. Should be an exciting and tough match. JO wrestled terrific last year when he beat Kurbanaliev in LA and might do it again against Boris under bright lights in the big city.

Metcalf vs Kurbanaliev Another World class match-up. Kurby is currently ranked Number 1 in the World, and deservedly so. Metcalf beat him in the semis of the 2013 Yarygin, but Kurby won the 2014 Yarygin and is tough as nails. I'm a huge Metcalf fan, but IMO, Brent can't wait around with this guy. He's gotta go right after Kurby and keep the pressure on the whole match. Brent can win, but I can see Kurbanaliev winning this match too. A blockbuster match!

74kg Taylor vs Hasanov Hasanov is always right there with the best in the World with very solid credentials, but I think he's in for a huge surprise when he meets the Magicman. This one's gonna be fun!

74kg The Champ vs Sanakoev Sanakoev gave JB all he could handle last summer with the Champ pulling out one of his razor thin victories right at the buzzer. Looking for Jordan to put on a takedown show this time and beat him much more decisively.

86kg Ruth vs Friev To be honest, never saw Friev, but his freestyle credentials look very good. Wouldn't it be great to see Ruth "folkstyle" cradle him for a stick. Remember, "Ed Ruth's cradle is tight!"

97kg Synder vs Gatsalov Wow, could be the feature match here. Gatsalov should be the heavy favorite. He's just so slick and experienced, never mind all the gold medals he's won. But something tells me that Kyle is going to be right there with him in this match. Just hope Kyle goes after him and does what he does best. (I don't want to see a Bergman "deer in the headlights" reaction to Yazdani here. Kyle has nothing to lose. Hope he leaves it on the mat.) Also wondering where Gatsalov's weight is at.

57kg Garrett vs Vangelov Haven't seen Garrett enough, and never saw Vangelov. Little help?

I don't think they would slot Snyder in vs Gatsalov if they didn't think he'd be competitive. I think Gatsalov will win of course but the combination of home field advantage and Russia's not caring so much often lead to upsets in these type of events. Don't know why someone mentioned Gatsalovs cardio though, never seen him have trouble with his fitness.

Sanokev is a risky one for JB, last one was very close.

Great, great lineups. I'm having a hard time picking winners to be honest, lots of competitive matches on paper and the US with aforementioned home field advantage. I will call Garcia over Stieber though (homer pick but very reasonable).

First off, great breakdown 2td3nf...this is not the first breakdown you have done that I have enjoyed. Keep it up!

Wow! This is an amazing lineup! This is the best BTS by far. Apparently Russia got sick of their second and third stringers getting beat, so they decided to basically send half of their team that they will be sending to World Championships!

Also, does anybody know if this will be televised or broadcasted on the Internet somewhere other than behind Flo's Paywall?

Maybe i'm blind here....but is there anywhere to watch this event? thanks.

2014 Beat the Streets: The wrestling starts at 10:00am (prelims I think).

Flowrestling is gonna' be in Times Square and streaming live.

It's funny how Metcalf and Taylor are swapping prior opponents, given the distance between their individual weights. I know Kurbanaliev bumped up a weight for RotR and Hasanov just... got a lot bigger?

Also Kurbanaliev has some great dance moves. There's a video somewhere of the Russian wrestlers busting moves in New York outside of a subway station or something. It looked like they were having a great time in the Big Apple. :D