Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

Pico brings wrestling into the mainstream

"A few years ago, Pico made the unusual choice to forego his remaining high school and college athletic eligibility.."

A few months ago..

"Not only has Pico never lost a wrestling match, he has never won by fewer than 10 points. He captured two national wrestling titles in the Police Athletic League, a prominent youth sports organization."

At first I just thought they were looking at international records, but the fewer than 10 anecdote changed my mind.

Also, PAL doesn't have a national wrestling tournament, do they? I do think he won it in Pankration or boxing, though.

It's great to see another article on Pico, but is obviously stretching the truth really worth the publicity?

didnt he lose to heil

Yes, Dean Heil beat him in the Super 32 finals a couple years ago. It was the same year Pico won Ironman and Heil finished 3rd I think losing to Micah Jordan in semis. I think Pico was looking forward to the revenge match, but Heil didn't hold up his end of the deal.

I don't know much about that site, but my bf says bleacher report is mostly fan-generated content with just a few articles by actual professional sports journalists. He follows football and basketball like crazy but won't read anything from br because the writing and accuracy is so horrible. Take all content from there with a grain of salt.

No excuses for AP, but he had Heil taken down if I recall and didn't get the call...or it's the other way around as it may have been Heil being awarded a TD that was very questionable. That is the last match he has ever lost and it was in OT.

As for Zain, Pico just coasted through the 2nd. Probably didn't want to embarrass him. :-)

Pico also has a very close match with Tyler Berger (he also beat Berger handily in a separate match). He actually lost one period in that match in question and then came back and won by like 1 or 2 points. Too lazy to provide link but anyone can find it.

I expected the article to eventually start spouting out Picoisms.

i.e.; Chuck Norrisisms

Most people know that Descarte said, "I think, therefore I am." What most people don't know is that the quote continues, "...afraid of Chuck Norris."

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris."

"Superman and Chuck Norris bet on an arm wrestling contest. The loser had to wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes."

I actually emailed the author about those errors and he's tweaked a few, but still keeping that PAL thing in there. I also pointed out after his changes that the Super 32 was "meaningful" ... but Bleacher Report is all about website traffic than it is about real content.

I didn't think this was terribly written, but the inaccuracies affected its impact. But then again, now we have a few thousand reads on this thing and since their SEO is near the top, we'll have people believing Pico's never lost a match because they read it on the internet.

I loathe B/R ... I even have a plug-in on my browser to prevent their stories from showing up in Google Search results.

I just looked at the scores of last year's Fila Cadet Worlds and Pico did not win any matches by 10 points. Here are the scores.

63 kg/138.75 lbs. – Aaron Pico, Whittier, Calif. (Champion)

• won by TF over Adilbek Osmonaliev (Kyrgyzstan), 7-0, (1:41)

• defeated Teymur Mammadov (Azerbaijan), 2-1

• won by TF over Maxim Carabadjac (Moldova), 10-2 (1:45)

• defeated Vikas Vikas (India), 8-4

• defeated Yuhi Fujinami (Japan), 8-6