Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Elite wrestlers losses

We all know that some of our great NCAA wrestlers have lost at some point, if not in college then in freestyle or during their redshirt year if there was one. Going back before that some who had outstanding high school careers had very few or no losses. I'm just curious who handed some of these guys losses?

Cael Sanderson, he didn't lose officially in college, he lost to Paul Jenn from Iowa as a RS and he had like 6 or 7 losses post college (a lot more in freestyle while in college though). I know he was a 4x state champion from Utah, who the hell beat him there? I know he wasn't unbeaten in high school.

Steve Mocco, he only lost once in HS, who was that to? I think his only losses in college were to Rowlands, Crump and Konrad. Post college he's lost to more than that.

Body Lock Step Around Knee Block is how Cole Konrad pinned Mocco. It was in National Dual Finals and sealed the win for Minnesota. Very exciting ending on National TV.

Step Around Knee Block is one of most under utilized moves in wrestling. Belaglazov was the master of it from 2 on 1. Reece Humprey does it well from 2 on 1. Quentin Wright is the best I have seen doing it recently from the Body Lock. When he won NCAAs as sophomore he did it to MN and IA opponents on way to the finals. Kendall Cross used it from double over hook in Olympic Finals. I see few Americans using Step Around Knee Blocks and it is a relatively safe move, if you are good at it and have a good feel for when to use it.

I seem to remember Mocco avoiding a loss in the NCAA tournament after he injured the Iowa State heavyweight on what was ruled to be an illegal hold. Bobby Douglas knew his wrestler would probably lose, so instead of taking the disqualification win and bouncing Mocco into the consolations, he had his guy continue for like 2 seconds than took an injury forfeit and allowed Mocco to advance. Very classy move by Douglas.

As far as I know in college Mocco only lost to Crump, Rowlands and Konrad.

We all know that some of our great NCAA wrestlers have lost at some point, if not in college then in freestyle or during their redshirt year if there was one. Going back before that some who had outstanding high school careers had very few or no losses. I'm just curious who handed some of these guys losses?

Cael Sanderson, he didn't lose officially in college, he lost to Paul Jenn from Iowa as a RS and he had like 6 or 7 losses post college (a lot more in freestyle while in college though). I know he was a 4x state champion from Utah, who the hell beat him there? I know he wasn't unbeaten in high school.

Steve Mocco, he only lost once in HS, who was that to? I think his only losses in college were to Rowlands, Crump and Konrad. Post college he's lost to more than that.

Cael lost to David Kjeldgaard in High School.

Do any of you guys know where I can find wrestler's records during their redshirt seasons? I've been wanting to look at Taylor and Cael's redshirt years for some time now. Also, do you guys know where I can find wrestler's careers? I know that I can see Okie State wrestler's records, but I'd like to look at others.

dake lost to donnie vinson (who he trained with his whole life they are great friends) and kevin levalley in the eiwa finals his soph season, two others his freshmen season.... he also lost to ian paddock in the state finals his jr year.... sophmore he beat paul ligouri and sr year he beat mike nevinger in the state finals

Cael lost to David Kjeldgaard in High School.

Do any of you guys know where I can find wrestler's records during their redshirt seasons? I've been wanting to look at Taylor and Cael's redshirt years for some time now. Also, do you guys know where I can find wrestler's careers? I know that I can see Okie State wrestler's records, but I'd like to look at others.

Taylor had a 9-7 loss to Cyler Sanderson and I believe it was a 4-3 loss to Bubba Jenkins. Those were the only two losses he had as a redshirt.

Ben Askren's varsity losses pretty much measure up to 1 against Purdue's Ryan Lange and then about 5 or so Vs Oklahoma State's Chris Pendelton. His redshirt year, I know he lost to Central Oklahoma's Shawn Silvis and I believe he was even majored by Oklahoma's Robbie Waller.

Greg Jones had a total of three losses while in college, and a default loss. Those losses were all 1 point matches. A 9-8 loss to Michigan's Otto Olson, a 3-2 t.b. loss to Hofstra's Ralph Everett and a 3-2 loss to Michigan State's Rashad Evans.

Who all did Stephen Abas lose to? Eric Jurgens owned two wins over him. Are those his only collegiate losses?

Three time NCAA champion Jake Rosholt has losses vs Ben Heizer of Northern Illinois, Jessman Smith of Iowa, Josh Lambrecht of Oklahoma, Scott Barker of Missouri, Greg Gifford of Fresno State, B.J. Padden of Nebraska and I think more.

I believe Mocco was pinned as a freshman after being up big in the match. Big time fluke.

Regarding Mocco's only HS loss, it was his sophomore year when he was at St. Benedicts. He was beating Tom Sorenson (Queensbury, NY) 11-1 early in the second period when "he attempted a foot sweep, caught his own foot on the mat, fell to his back and was pinned."

Ben Askren's varsity losses pretty much measure up to 1 against Purdue's Ryan Lange and then about 5 or so Vs Oklahoma State's Chris Pendelton. His redshirt year, I know he lost to Central Oklahoma's Shawn Silvis and I believe he was even majored by Oklahoma's Robbie Waller.

I think Pendleton owned a 7-1 record versus Askren.

2004:

W - 9-7 OT (dual)

W - 7-3 (tournament)

W - 7-3 (dual)

L - 9-7 (Big 12 Tournament)

W - 11-4 (NCAA finals)

2005:

W - 4-3 (dual)

W - 12-8 (Big 12 Tournament)

W - 10-5 (NCAA finals)

Before the serious elbow injury the middle of his senior year, the non-redshirted Lewboo's only "countable" losses to collegians were to defending NCAA champ Mike Land ( about 5 times his freshman year) and to his former high school teammate/friend Jay Swanson (SDSU)- all during his freshmen year.

Unless I missed someone. I think he drew Darryl Burley once in there too.

The U of Iowa counts his losses to non-collegians apparently, but doesn't count them for some of the others from Iowa- why I don't know.

If I remember correctly, Jared Lawrence was a 4x HS state champ and was undefeated until Eric Larkin beat him in the Senior National finals. Not sure what Larkin's HS record was.

Larkin wrestled at Sunnyside but I don't think he was on varsity all 4 years. He may have been but in those days Sunnyside had some serious talent roll through there and were almost unbeatable. Eric's brother Evan was a 3x state champion while Eric only won it twice. I would guess Eric didn't have many losses up until then, he definitely didn't lose his senior year, but if I had to guess I would say he had fewer than 10 losses in high school. But I believe that may be partially due to not being able to crack the lineup at Sunnyside. It's the same school Nate and Nick Gallick went to, and former ASU coach Thom Ortiz, ASU NCAA champion the late great Eddie Urbano, and a few others.

Eric didn't wrestle on the varsity asca frosh, he was stuck behind a 3-time state chsmp. He lost in the semifinals to the eventual chsnp ( who hsd been a state champ in Colorado and moved to AZ before his senior year). I think that was Eric's only loss in Arizona while in high school.

You are missing the greatest wrestler of all time. Marcus LeVesseur was never beaten. Chuck Norris is scared of him.

Cael never wrestled him.

John Smith never wrestled him.

Marcus did the wrestling world a favor by not competing past his college Perfection as no one in the world would now even remember Dan Gable or Alexander Karelin since Marcus Levesseur would hold every record the world has ever seen for wrestling wins. ;-)