Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Wrestlers that will be in Foxcatcher

I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but there are quite a few accomplished wrestlers who will be in "Foxcatcher"

Muzzafar Abdurakmanov will play the part of Necmi Genclap an opponent of Mark Schultz from Turkey.

J.D. Bergman will play an Olympic wrestler

Ken Chertow will play the Bulgarian Head Coach

Keith Gavin will play a Bulgarian Wrestler

Jake Herbert will play Mike Sheets.

Reece Humphrey will be an extra

Tyrone Lewis will play a Canadian Wrestler

Gene Mills will be a referee

Yoshi Nakamura will play a Japanese wrestler

Mike Pucillo will be an extra

Zach Rey will play an extra

James Yonushonis will play the part of Rico Chipparelli

David Zabriskie will play the part of Dan Bane, a fictional character written for the movie

Maybe this is old news that is already known, but if not, I thought you might find it interesting.

Here's a link to my photo-feature for Examiner.com that lists the wrestlers who had contacted me about their roles in the movie, which includes pics and info on each wrestler. Some have comments about working on the movie.

http://www.examiner.com/list/meet-some- ... foxcatcher

... and here's my InterMat story on real-life referee Fred Feeney, who not only played a ref in the movie, but also served as a consultant...

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/11110

Mark

I have it on good authority that Ethan Bosch will be playing the part of the referee in the match from the '84 Olympics where Mark breaks the Turk's arm. Here is the match in its entirety. Rumor has it that Bosch studied this film meticulously in preparation for his debut on the silver screen:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also heard other wrestlers being played by actors are Gilbert Godfried as Dan Gable, Jim Carey as John Smith, Ron Jeremy as Randy Lewis, and Mos Def as Bobby Douglas.

Some of the movie was filmed on the University of Pittsburgh's campus, so there are a few Pitt wrestlers who serve as extras. Also, I believe Mark Ruffalo sat in on a couple of Pitt's offseason workouts as part of his "immersion" prior to the start of filming.

I think the real wrestlers they have cast will do a good job at making Tatum and Ruffalo look like world class wrestlers. Personally I am looking forward to seeing Ellis Coleman wrestling as Kenny Monday.

I've also heard other wrestlers being played by actors are Gilbert Godfried as Dan Gable, Jim Carey as John Smith, Ron Jeremy as Randy Lewis, and Mos Def as Bobby Douglas.

Ahem... Yasiin Bey, thank you very much!

In moviespeak is an "extra" someone who is in the background, or someone who fills in when someone else has to bow out of a role?

You're thinking of an understudy. In theater, an understudy will step in if the performer is unable to perform since 'the show must go on.' But in movies there is no such need since they can just hold off filming until the person is able to perform.

An extra is someone who is used for a body. They are shot in the film but have no lines and only serve the purpose of completing the scene. It is common for extras to be on set and never actually get included in the shot but they are there in the off chance that a panning camera might include them.

Hope any Pitt Wrestlers who appear in the movie as extras or any other capacity don't lose their NCAA eligibility. Those turkeys at NCAA can get really nasty about athletes earning any kind of money 'from their sport' or associated with it.

Remember the Colorado Punter who was told he had to give back all the money he had made after winning an Olympic Gold medal - if he wanted to continue to play NCAA football? The money and his business were from the skiing he had done and had nothing at all to do with his football efforts - but the NCAA knows best. He quit football and is doing well with his business.

Hope any Pitt Wrestlers who appear in the movie as extras or any other capacity don't lose their NCAA eligibility. Those turkeys at NCAA can get really nasty about athletes earning any kind of money 'from their sport' or associated with it.

Remember the Colorado Punter who was told he had to give back all the money he had made after winning an Olympic Gold medal - if he wanted to continue to play NCAA football? The money and his business were from the skiing he had done and had nothing at all to do with his football efforts - but the NCAA knows best. He quit football and is doing well with his business.

Being an extra is a job. I've been an extra and appeared in a few things, you just do what the production guys on the set tell you pretty much. You aren't making money off of your name, you're literally paid to stand there or paid because you have a certain look or whatever. I was on the set of a TV show last week for a day to film some scenes, and you basically get paid to sit or stand around. The director decided he liked the way I looked holding a guitar, because it kept falling on me during one take to I picked it up. So he had me play the part of a guy on the beach with a guitar because he liked how it looked. The NCAA isn't going to do anything if you're paid to be an actor or extra. You're doing the job the producer or director tells you to do. You aren't endorsing a product or anything.

The best part of being an extra is you don't really have to do anything. Just stand or sit there and look good. If you get a chance just see what casting directors look for. My friend who I get my work through puts out calls for a certain age, race or look. I got picked up for the one last week because I'm a 20-30 year old white guy. If you have 12 hours or so to kill and want to experience what goes into a TV show or movie, be an extra.

Foxcatcher Farm was, I think, 800 acres. It was a giant tract of land for such a wealthy area, even when compared to some of DuPont's wealthy neighbors who were heirs to banking, department store and food fortunes.

I believe the farm was part of a trust and was to kept as open lands, but recently that trust was broken and the farm sold to real estate developers.

I once had some business dealings with DuPont's lawyer, who also represented the Bulgarian wrestler who ultimately inherited most of DuPont's estate. Nice lawyer, but to this day I am amazed that it all worked out the way that it did with his side prevailing in the battle for the estate. Most people around Newtown Square who had any dealings with DuPont, like the other non wrestling athletes and the pistol shooters who trained at the farm, believed he was basically not fit or sound of mind for quite some time, and I believe that will was signed during that time period. I figured the family would prevail, but it didn't work out that way.

I believe the extra casting call went out to anybody who "looked like a wrestler" in Western Pa. So they didnt just use Pitt guys, but a lot of Pitt guys showed up because the filming was at the Peterson Events Center.

Foxcatcher Farm was, I think, 800 acres. It was a giant tract of land for such a wealthy area, even when compared to some of DuPont's wealthy neighbors who were heirs to banking, department store and food fortunes.

I believe the farm was part of a trust and was to kept as open lands, but recently that trust was broken and the farm sold to real estate developers.

I once had some business dealings with DuPont's lawyer, who also represented the Bulgarian wrestler who ultimately inherited most of DuPont's estate. Nice lawyer, but to this day I am amazed that it all worked out the way that it did with his side prevailing in the battle for the estate. Most people around Newtown Square who had any dealings with DuPont, like the other non wrestling athletes and the pistol shooters who trained at the farm, believed he was basically not fit or sound of mind for quite some time, and I believe that will was signed during that time period. I figured the family would prevail, but it didn't work out that way.

I also remember that DuPont was widely considered to be pretty crazy for a long time.

interesting about his will - perhaps a "lucid moment"? So, I guess the Bulgarian sold the land to the developers?

I also remember that DuPont was widely considered to be pretty crazy for a long time.

interesting about his will - perhaps a "lucid moment"? So, I guess the Bulgarian sold the land to the developers?

Not sure DuPont had many truly lucid moments in the 1990's. Local law enforcement and fire officials were called to that property often, but the problem was that they also trained there on his gun range so, when combined with his insane wealth, they sort of chalked it all up to eccentricity.

I am not sure who sold it to the developers, just that they have it. Still amazed that the lawyer could fend off the DuPont family.

I think it was first sold to Rouse & Co., which is mostly owned by local real estate developer (and some what eccentric himself) Willard Rouse. Rouse could not get his plans thru Newtown Township, so it went to Toll Brothers. They got the Twp. to approve a 450 home development. I believe this is the single largest open tract in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, other than Ridley Creek State Park.

Neighboring Marple Twp. sold one of the next largest pieces of open space in the county, The Ellis Tract. That too is now going to be developed. Congestion.