Sign in to follow this  
SSparks

Donny Pritzlaff Interview

OK. Now what really happened?

Former Princeton Tiger, Don Rumsfeld, misses the mats in NJ so much and is so frustrated by how long it's taking to rejuvenate that program that he is surreptitiously working with the Scarlet Knights (Pritzlaff is merely a pawn in a much more grand resurrection than anyone could possibly imagine. Hint: Rove, Ashcroft and even Cheney are rumored to be involved.)

What's with the passive aggressive potshots at RU by the michigan contingent? Started in the other thread, and continues here.

Donnie saw a chance to position himself for a head coaching role, and he's now in a better place. With RU going to the BIG, UM has nothing on them as a program. He's home, with better talent to recruit.

What's with the passive aggressive potshots at RU by the michigan contingent? Started in the other thread, and continues here.

Donnie saw a chance to position himself for a head coaching role, and he's now in a better place. With RU going to the BIG, UM has nothing on them as a program. He's home, with better talent to recruit.

LOL at "nothing on Rutgers as a program". Other than a tradition of success and producing AA's and Champs. But hey, Rutgers is in the B1G for about 5 minutes. Clearly that's all you need.

LOL at "nothing on Rutgers as a program". Other than a tradition of success and producing AA's and Champs. But hey, Rutgers is in the B1G for about 5 minutes. Clearly that's all you need.

Five minutes? You're off by, oh, about 300 seconds. They don't officially join the conference until July 1st.

Rutgers had never put the resources into wrestling that they are now, and they weren't in the premier conference in the country. They now are. They come from a better wrestling state, and have added a top level coach to the staff.

Two years from now, RU will be ahead of Michigan, if they aren't already this year.

Rutgers had never put the resources into wrestling that they are now, and they weren't in the premier conference in the country. They now are. They come from a better wrestling state, and have added a top level coach to the staff. Two years from now, RU will be ahead of Michigan, if they aren't already this year.

This has got to be among the most asinine statements I've seen on this board.

i dont predict RU wrestling will be overtaking the B1G elite programs anytime soon. neither will their football team. but their wrestling and football teams are in a better place now then theyve ever been in history and there's no reason to think they won't continue to improve.

program has already made transformative, positive steps in the last decade. the next decade is looking to be another great one for the school.

Rutgers had never put the resources into wrestling that they are now, and they weren't in the premier conference in the country. They now are. They come from a better wrestling state, and have added a top level coach to the staff.

Two years from now, RU will be ahead of Michigan, if they aren't already this year.

Are you one of those people that just spout off opinion as fact? Believe me, being from MSU, my DNA is unraveling as I am about to defend UofM. But the truth is the truth. Rutgers is currently LIGHT YEARS behind UofM.

You obviously have little to no knowledge regarding UofM's current roster and recent success in recruiting.

125:Youtsey went 20-13 as a Redshirt Freshman. Took 7th in a loaded B1G and went 1-2 at the NCAA tournament. He was a 3X Michigan State Champ and wrestled for the US team in the Dapper Dan.

133:Bruno went 22-16 as a True Sophomore. Made R12 at the NCAA tournament. He was a 5X state champ in Florida. No. 13 overall recruit.

141:Dutton went 13-6 due to an injury shortened season. Took 4th in the B1G. Became an All American finishing 7th as a Redshirt Junior. Transferred in from Lehigh after his True Sophomore year. Redshirted last year. He was a 2x New York State Champ.

149:Grajales took 3rd as a Senior. This could be their big weak spot unless someone like Cam Jackson(not sure on his status with the team) can move up or Salazar can move down. Also, Michigan has recently shown they have no qualms putting a True Freshman in the lineup if he is the best guy at the weight. Zac Hall is the #15 overall recruit and was just an undefeated Michigan State Champ at 140. He finished as a 4X state champ. He may be undersized but he could be the guy here.

157:Murphy went 18-9 as a True Freshman. Took 4th in the B1G. He went 1-2 at the NCAA tournament. He was a 4X state placewinner in Illinois finishing 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd. He was the #27 overall recruit.

165:Yates went 19-9 and 1-2 at the NCAA tournament as a Senior. Massa comes off redshirt after making the R12 as a True Freshman. He will be a beast as a Redshirt Sophomore. He was a 4X Undefeated Michigan State Champ. He was the #2 overall recruit.

174:Zeerip admittedly struggled. Jordan Thomas redshirted last year and was a #28 overall recruit. He also struggled as a True Freshman taking one for the team. Hopefully the Redshirt helped him.

184: Abounader finished 16-11 as a True Freshman. He heated up at the end of the season placing 3rd at the B1G and going 1-2 at the NCAA tournament. He was a 3x Ohio State Champion and the #11 overall recruit.

197:Heald struggled. They do have Hayden coming in as a Redshirt Freshman. He was a 4X Michigan state placewinner taking 3rd,3rd,2nd,1st. He was the #98 overall recruit.

285:Coon finished 32-5 as a True Freshman losing in the R12 of the NCAA tournament. 4 of his 5 losses came in the B1G and NCAA tournaments. He was a 4X Michigan State Champ and the #2 overall recruit.

As you can see UofM has been recruiting exceptionally well and has a TON of young, yet proven, wrestlers. I could see them blanking Rutgers in duals over the next 3 years.

Also, if New Jersey is a better wrestling state than Michigan the difference is marginal at best.........

Edited to add: UofM's current recruiting class was just ranked 10th by Intermat. They have Hall(#15), Mahomes(#41), Storr(#97) and Sutton (#100). They also have notable Michigan State Champs Amine and Pantaleo signed from this class.

Will be interesting to see how Pritz's departure effects future recruiting. I think Michigan's fault has been that they are too comfortable not redshirting guys. Bruno, Murphy, Massa, Abounader and Coon all could have benefitted from a year of development as a redshirt. 6 years of their eligibility is used up and they have 3 R12 finishes to show for it. I know they were all capable of competing right out the gate, but why force it? I know nothing is guaranteed from a redshirt year, but that is just my opinion.

Will be interesting to see how Pritz's departure effects future recruiting. I think Michigan's fault has been that they are too comfortable not redshirting guys. Bruno, Murphy, Massa, Abounader and Coon all could have benefitted from a year of development as a redshirt. 6 years of their eligibility is used up and they have 3 R12 finishes to show for it. I know they were all capable of competing right out the gate, but why force it? I know nothing is guaranteed from a redshirt year, but that is just my opinion.

I agree with you. I took a lot of heat for pointing this out a year ago. With that said, I think the lack of results the last 2 years has them poised and ready to be VERY tough this year. With the exception of 149 and 197 they could have a very high end recruit with valuable experience at every weight. This upcoming season could really be a breakout year for the Wolverines.

Just saw on InterMat that Michigan added another recruit to this class - Richard Sisti, a 2x state champ from NY who projects at 197. Hopefully that helps with that weight class. Logan Massa is also already committed for for the 2015 class. He's currently ranked No. 2 nationally. That's great guy to build that class around. Pritzlaff is a great recruiter, but so is Bormet. Look at all the Illinois guys who have picked Michigan since he got there. I don't think their recruiting will take a major hit.

I also think Michigan is in a better place to redshirt guys. From what I hear, they're planning to redshirt all but maybe one of these incoming guys. They also have redshirts to use over the next few years if necessary. It was a little painful to get to this point, but they're in a great spot now.

If NJ is better than Mi, it's marginal at best? Take a lol at NQs at the collegiate level. Not close. Take a look at top 100 recruits, year in and year out. Not close.

RU is a work in progress, and I won't bore you with credentials of every starter, but they'll be very competitive w UM this year, and will definitely improve w Pritz training and recruiting.

If NJ is better than Mi, it's marginal at best? Take a lol at NQs at the collegiate level. Not close. Take a look at top 100 recruits, year in and year out. Not close.

RU is a work in progress, and I won't bore you with credentials of every starter, but they'll be very competitive w UM this year, and will definitely improve w Pritz training and recruiting.

You just answered my first question. You think it is boring to actually use facts to prove your argument. It is better to just state an opinion without verifying anything.

Also, over the past 10 years Michigan High School wrestling has had a major rising in the National scene. This is due, in large part to social media. The Internet has brought a group together that was limited, for the most part, to In State. Due to the limits the MHSAA puts on it's athletes Michigan wrestlers chances at college wrestling were seriously limited. Michigan High Schools are not allowed to travel very far out of state and can't wrestle at tournaments that are within the range if an attending school is located out of that range. Athletes also lose eligibility if they attend anything(like NHSCA) that has High School championship attached to it.

I won't BORE you with any more factsbut Michigan always had high end wrestling but limited National exposure. With competitions like Disney Duals, Flo Nationals and Super32 NOT being restricted by the MHSAA we are starting to get much more National exposure, and as a result, are starting to get the rankings we deserve.

I think NJ is clearly ahead of Michigan right now, both in terms of high school talent and NCAA results, but Michgian is closing the gap.

a while back i ran the numbers of the total NQs by state from 1998-2014. here's a snap shot of the 98-00 years compared to the 12-14 years.

http://jaroslavwrestling.files.wordpres ... 012-14.png

Michigan is making great strides. be interesting to see how things are in 5-10 years from now.

I thought it was pretty clear that Rutgers is offering substantially more money than Michigan.

It's also a good place for him to make a name for himself. Everybody on this forum talks about Donny in such high regard, but on paper (such as paper that an AD might evaluate for a head coaching position) he is a question mark.

If Rutgers improves substantially over the next few years, most of the credit will go to him. He can leverage Rutgers success into a B1G head coaching position...maybe even at Rutgers.

At Michigan, he has to share any credit for more success in the next few years with Bormet. Michigan is also starting off at a higher place, so measurable improvement is more difficult to come by. This was an excellent move by Donny if he actually has the chops to become a head coach...time will tell if he does.