Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Live Streaming of Beat the Streets at 5:30ET?

For one -- the location. Last year was inside Vanderbilt Hall at Grand Central Station, not outside in Times Square. It was was streamed through NBC, they have their own truck and provided the stream on their network. A few years back, Flo had a raw stream from the production crew I believe on a wireless 3G or 4G card.

Television networks are typically not keen on other outlets streaming their content before they air it. The fact Flo is even considered to be allowed to stream this thing is somewhat baffling (not in a bad way) on an NBC property shows there's been organizational discussion. The TV networks have nothing to do with the permits issued by New York City.

Even if there are perfectly valid reasons why streaming is not possible this year (as difficult as that is to imagine), there is no excuse for Flo and this Site to list the event as being available for streaming for weeks/months and then only announce via this thread (and a reply to a tweet) that streaming may not happen.

And BTW, both sites still have it in their list of live streaming events.

It's now 7PM and we still don't know if it is being streamed. Ridiculous. But you are right, no-one is at fault here. Everyone did a superb job.

Even if there are perfectly valid reasons why streaming is not possible this year (as difficult as that is to imagine), there is no excuse for Flo and this Site to list the event as being available for streaming for weeks/months and then only announce via this thread (and a reply to a tweet) that streaming may not happen.

And BTW, both sites still have it in their list of live streaming events.

It's now 7PM and we still don't know if it is being streamed. Ridiculous. But you are right, no-one is at fault here. Everyone did a superb job.

Did I say no one's at fault? I don't believe I did. Did I say everyone did a superb job? I don't believe I did.

So if they still have it listed on their live events, then assume it's going to go until you hear otherwise. I know I had at least a dozen streams while I was at USAW that I wasn't sure would go or not and it was always a gametime decision -- and we never announced a cancellation only to turn around and do it after the fact. You're basically wanting Flo and USAW (And Beat the Streets, the actual organizing party of this event), to put out something saying "we're not sure" ...

... I'd also implore you to use something other than faceless forum handles and screen names for communication. The phone and e-mail are still the preferred way of contacting a department. Flo has numbers listed and so does USAW. Incessant complaining on a message board doesn't count as communication. The fact people alerted USAW to this thread validates that point. Pick up the phone and do something for yourself instead of CONSTANTLY complaining.

As a fan, I'm believing it's a go until I'm told otherwise. Does no good to put out a cancellation notice/release when they still have to get everything set up on Wednesday. A lot of things can happen between now and 3 p.m. on Wednesday.

That's all I have for you. Since you'll undoubtedly reply with some snarky comeback putting words into my mouth. Good day, sir.

I have sent emails (with my name attached). I have made phone calls and gave my name if asked. I have sent tweets. All have either gone unanswered or directed to me another place that either did not answer or re-directed me in this vicious circle.

You say that Flow has numbers listed. I have not been able to find them. If you can provide the numbers or a link, I will call them too.

EDIT: This link actually states that they do not take phone calls. But if you have a number and want to give it to me (public or private, I will call immediately).

http://www.flowrestling.org/page/FAQ

According to Flo's website, they'll have live streaming:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... reets-2014

May 7, 2014 New York, NY, US

It's back, the Beat the Streets wrestling event and Gala will take place once again in New York City and feature some of the best wrestlers in the world. Stars from the United States will take on wrestling stars from overseas. Two time world champion and Olympic gold medalist Jordan Burroughs will lead the US team as a group of competitors from various European countries will come to take on the likes of Brent Metcalf, Helen Maroulis, Jordan Oliver, Logan Stieber, David Taylor and Ed Ruth among others. This event will take place in Times Square and will be streaming live on Flowrestling.>>

Flo's Live Stream page for the BTS coverage says,

"This event isn't live yet. Tune back in on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm EST."

Hmmm... Should be a Fantastic event. I hope someone, somehow gets to see it.

Piggy - That was great !

Angryfish - I don't know what you want to hear, JB explained things pretty clearly. Deals were likely made but circumventing the red tape can be a bitch in NYC and NBC may (now) own the rights. I am 100% confident that Flo wants to cover the event if they are allowed. They get nothing for misleading their viewers and I think they are kind of at least casual fans of the sport. They will show the event if they are able.

Like JB, I am surprised that Flo will be there since NBC has the rights. Maybe the NBC deal came after a promise was made to Flo.

As I assumed the live feed will be behind Flo's Iron curtain. I don't know why I get my hopes up. Oh well. Hopefully NBC will show the matches I want to see and I am able to stay away from results til 10:30. At least I know their show won't crap out in the middle of a match.

Hate me all you want and say I'm not a true wrestling fan for not paying flo. I used to love flo, but now I can't stand it. It used to be about the wrestling, now it's all about the $$$. Sooner or later a better option will emerge, that gives a crap about its customers, and knows how to conduct business in a proper manner.

According to Flo's website, they'll have live streaming:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... reets-2014

May 7, 2014 New York, NY, US

It's back, the Beat the Streets wrestling event and Gala will take place once again in New York City and feature some of the best wrestlers in the world. Stars from the United States will take on wrestling stars from overseas. Two time world champion and Olympic gold medalist Jordan Burroughs will lead the US team as a group of competitors from various European countries will come to take on the likes of Brent Metcalf, Helen Maroulis, Jordan Oliver, Logan Stieber, David Taylor and Ed Ruth among others. This event will take place in Times Square and will be streaming live on Flowrestling.>>

"This event isn't live yet. Tune back in on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm EST."

-----

You are right. In its front page Flo touts BTS "streaming live." Yet, if you click the Live Stream link it says "tune back in May 7 at 4 pm EST." I'm confused. Why would they state the latter if they know they will stream live. If they don't have live streaming, they shouldn't advertise it.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow AM when I try Flo's streaming coverage. :?

-----

You are right. In its front page Flo touts BTS "streaming live." Yet, if you click the Live Stream link it says "tune back in May 7 at 4 pm EST." I'm confused. Why would they state the latter if they know they will stream live. If they don't have live streaming, they shouldn't advertise it.

Huh??? May 7 at 4pm EST is when the event is.

-----

Huh??? May 7 at 4pm EST is when the event is.

-----

My bad. For some reason I thought the wrestling was at 5:30 ET. I guess the actual exhibitions are at 4PM EST. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope Flo gets it done.

Hearing internet connectivity in Times Square has been the hold up on any announcement.

Maybe this is a techno nerd question but what technology does Flo use to connect and broadcast live?

Reason I ask "internet connectivity" seem to be the common excuse used by Flo and their premium feature ($$$) having issues.

As I assumed the live feed will be behind Flo's Iron curtain. I don't know why I get my hopes up. Oh well. Hopefully NBC will show the matches I want to see and I am able to stay away from results til 10:30. At least I know their show won't crap out in the middle of a match.

Hate me all you want and say I'm not a true wrestling fan for not paying flo. I used to love flo, but now I can't stand it. It used to be about the wrestling, now it's all about the $$$. Sooner or later a better option will emerge, that gives a crap about its customers, and knows how to conduct business in a proper manner.

Matburn, no hate here, but I don't think you are considering how much Flo has upped their game. Think about it, 30+ cameras being operated by them at the Open, or Super 32, Fargo, etc, plus all mats at the Scuffle, Div 2 and 3 Nat'ls. Their entourage has grown immensely to provide this coverage, and it's not free to them. Think about the overhead, travel costs, hotels, food, fees for 'rights', and salaries. I, for one, gladly pay for what they provide today; I honestly don't see how any passionate follower of this sport could complain. Without question they are the best thing going for wrestling today. For those who remember, we've come along way since the Amateur Wrestling News (only source) days. I wouldn't know who won a big match until 6 weeks after the fact, until I received my 1st class copy of AWN.

Looks like this site deleted the webcast schedule on the Events section above. Also, after Rich Immel's breakdown of BTS (which was excellent), he only mentions the broadcast of Universal Sports network. FLO's site is still vague whether they're streaming live or not.

Perhaps they're still hashing it out, or is it a definite no for FLO? Anybody know? Please?

Barring a last minute miracle, despite all the advertising, there will be no live coverage.

I spoke with BTS since FLO does not talk to their customers. They asked to let everyone know that they should call Jim Fallis at 212.777.5702 to voice their displeasure with how this was managed. I have a call into him and am waiting a return call.

Angry fish, are you so angry because you spent most of your wrestling career on your back being a fish? Who exactly are you so angry at? You don't think flo wants to stream this live? There are obviously some issues with the streaming.

I would love to see this live and am willing to pay. I really what to see Gatsalov vs Snyder. There is no telling what Snyder's career has in store but these guys are about the same size, and were Jr champs at 17. Now Snyder has a lot of blanks to fill in after that but he could be our best Lt Heavyweight ever. There are alot of guys at this weight fairly even in the Banachs, Sanderson, Schultz, Varner, Peterson, Angle etc! Snyder is poised to be a Gatsalov. I know this is way premature but this match is a history maker potentially. I just hope there is an option to pay for this event!