Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Rankings- the criteria

In response to Jason Bryant's challenge I am going to try to do my own rankings which I think will be better than Filas (not following his proposed rules though). All input and help will be appreciated as they are a lot of work. First, the guidelines I intend to use to establish rankings:

IMO the purpose of rankings is to give a snapshot of who the best wrestlers in the world are. A casual fan should be able to use them to have an accurate understanding of where a given wrestler stands. This leads into criteria # 1.

1: worlds and Olympics are king. They are the gold standard in determining who the best is and therefore world results are the #1 factor in determining rank. This also means a world champion will generally get more leniancy when it comes to losses or inactivity- they have already proven themselves on the biggest stage. Generally speaking for a non world medallist to pass world medallists in the rankings they must clearly meet criteria # 2.

2: major tournament and head to head results. These are grouped together because in determining what major tournaments are based on the quality of competition. National tournaments absolutely count. As per this criteria, winning a generally prestigious tournament becomes less impressive if there happens to be a weak bracket. Also beating a world medallist and losing the next match, or beating him in an exhibition, is less impressive then combining head to head victories with gold medals.

3: minor competitions. Looking impressive in beating lower ranked guys. Generally speaking success at a lower weight class also has a corresponding lower value.

4: activity. The one that makes international rankings so tricky as many if the best wrestlers take long breaks from competition. Since I'm less interested in fairness them accuracy, I will use the following rule of thumb: up and comers who want to get noticed had better wrestle a lot to get highly ranked. Established veterans, especially those who meet criteria 1, just need to compete enough to show they are still active and not losing. Guys who take extended absences (half a season or more) will be dropped from rankings and returned to what I consider a fair spot when they return.

Thoughts? Are these clear and respectable? Are examples needed?

Guys who take extended absences (half a season or more) will be dropped from rankings and returned to what I consider a fair spot when they return.

Thoughts? Are these clear and respectable? Are examples needed?

Thinking back, wasn't it common for established Russians to not compete at all during the year, and just show up for nationals/Worlds?

Unless it's clear that a guy has retired or is on hiatus, I don't think it's reasonable to drop anyone's ranking for inactivity in this sport.

great idea - and i like your criteria.

the best way to produce accurate ranking is probably a healthy sports book with future's odds. after that is a poll that captures the wisdom of the crowds. last is criteria. but since the former 2 methods are impossible to do on anyone's own, i like the criteria you've established. i look forward to seeing what you produce!

I see your point quanon it's just hard to know what guys are up to. As far as I know Taghavi, for example, has not wrestled this year. Do I keep him ranked at 65? Assume hell come back at 70? Etc... Easier to just not rank him but then (and here's they key) return him to a suitable rank when he comes back, not drop him somewhere in the middle like Fila rankings would.

Honestly every guy is probably a case by case basis. I have no issue with the 65 kg world champ holding down a high rank- we know he'll be back/ but I don't want Taymazov and Makhov hogging the top spits at heavy forever.

Sounds like a very reasonable system that will be much better than the current one if you can implement it. It seems like you will have your hands full as well lol.

The one that will be most difficult is tracking down results to national championships. Also, i would think that you have to rank nationals results from a Russia or an Iran by a different standard than you would someone from say.... Canada, just to throw a name out there. Also, how do people who don't have a national tournament and/or have dual citizenship, such as Park from N. Korea(no nationals or Gomez(dual citizenship and no nationals) from Puerto Rico, make up ranking points from the people that do. Then you've got your people who can't make it in Russia, so they just hop over to the next country and wrestle for them (take points away?).

In any case good luck, best wishes, and thank you. We could really use a good ranking system at the senior level.

I see your point quanon it's just hard to know what guys are up to. As far as I know Taghavi, for example, has not wrestled this year. Do I keep him ranked at 65? Assume hell come back at 70? Etc... Easier to just not rank him but then (and here's they key) return him to a suitable rank when he comes back, not drop him somewhere in the middle like Fila rankings would.

Honestly every guy is probably a case by case basis. I have no issue with the 65 kg world champ holding down a high rank- we know he'll be back/ but I don't want Taymazov and Makhov hogging the top spits at heavy forever.

Your approach is reasonable. I think allowing inactivity to stretch all the way to the previous year's world/Olympics results would make the rankings more accurate, on balance. If a top athlete retires or announces a break, you take them out of the rankings. Sometimes you'll get burned because someone has quietly retired, but I think that will be a relatively rare occurrence.

Matburn; honestly for national tournaments Ill be relying on knowledgable posters to share information. Hubbard currently has an awesome thread on the oawa.ca forum going where he lists, among other things, national results. For a guy from a weaker wresting country, winning his nationals wont really affect his ranking, he'll have to compete elsewhere (as Gomez is doing).

Quanon, a year sounds reasonable. I'll keep top, inactive guys for that long, but they wont necessarily stay at the same spot. (For example, I think Kurbanaliev will be my #1 at 65 even though Safayran and Lopex finished ahead of him at worlds).

Speaking of Kurbanaliuev, the beat the streets thing tomorrow has a chance to really screw up my planned ratings.