Sign in to follow this  
Crusader2017

Beat the Streets 2014 Results

Without actually knowing the rankings and exact medal counts, it FEELS like we are progressing on the International stage at all competition levels. What is going on here and how do we continue trending in that direction?

How was the live stream?

It helps that we have two potential college GOATS(Dake and Stieber though he didn't win tonight) entering the freestyle scene more often. Then there's Kennedy/Taylor making splashes.. We have young studs occupying almost every weight class. Veterans like JB obviously matter too but our youth is giving us depth.

I think people are putting WAY too much weight into exhibition matches. I don't think results from these matches matter much, if at all.

I actually think USA wrestling should worry a lot: besides Burroughs who hasn't wrestled a top Russian since the Olympics where it was razor thin, they have no clear contenders for medals at the worlds in 2014. Worse, at 96kg, Varner will very likely not repeat as world champ in 2014 now that Gadisov and Yazdani are back. I can't see Varner touching these 2.

This is confirmed by their results in 2013 Worlds where besides JB nobody got a medal (USA was ranked 10'th).

Guys like Stieber, Oliver, Kennedy, Ruth, Foster, Snyder, Taylor are really good and I love Taylor's and Foster's style, and they do seem like the future of USA wrestling. But I just can't see them going through Russia, Iran and the rest in 1 big, serious tournament yet. Taylor, for all the hype, got teched by Tsargush.

When our guys win at Beat the Streets, it's great. But it is only single match where the opponent had to fly thousands of miles and perform in Times Square. Let's wait to see how we perform at worlds.

Let's look at our weights.

57- Escobedo got a very respectable 5th place finish in 2013, but he seems to be hurt. I am not sure anyone else we have here can medal.

61- This is anyone's guess how we'll do here. Kennedy is ranked 14th here.

65- Metcalf seems to be on fire lately, but he hasn't yet won a match at worlds, and he had that 10th place finish at Yarygin. I'd like to see him do well at worlds, but there's no guarantee. But make no mistake, his win over Kurbanaliev was huge.

70- This is anyone's guess as well. We have nobody ranked here.

74- The Champ.

86- Foster is ranked 16, and has looked good lately, but can he get past Gavin? Ruth has a lot of potential, but he doesn't seem to be in the worlds freestyle elite. I think chances are we see no medal here.

97- Varner. A medal is possible, but now he has Gadisov and Yazdani to deal with, so I'm not liking his chances to win it all.

125- Dlagnev is consistently in the top 5.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure we'll see much improvement over past years.

Wow what a great result and a continued upward trend or USA freestyle wrestling.

Varner's return as well as the youth movement bode well for USA, my only concern being the departure of Zeke Jones.

Any word on how the 96 kg high schooler performed today?

I think people are putting WAY too much weight into exhibition matches. I don't think results from these matches matter much, if at all.

I actually think USA wrestling should worry a lot: besides Burroughs who hasn't wrestled a top Russian since the Olympics where it was razor thin, they have no clear contenders for medals at the worlds in 2014. Worse, at 96kg, Varner will very likely not repeat as world champ in 2014 now that Gadisov and Yazdani are back. I can't see Varner touching these 2.

Well it may be that on a World level these exhibition don't mean much, but on a wrestler level, I believe, that it has the opposite effect and it shows our wrestlers that they can be successful against the other top level wrestlers.

As far as the fact that we should be worried about the upcoming Worlds, I would say that we need to be focused, and should we should always be striving forward, but I believe we need to look at the upcoming Worlds as a chance to succeed. Looking at the recent World Cup I would say that there is reason to hope.

As far as Varner is concerned, I realize there are some tough guys out there like Yazdani, Gatsalov, and Gazymov, but I have faith that Varner (who has two a World level medals), will find a way to prevail and medal at these upcoming Worlds.

I actually think USA wrestling should worry a lot: besides Burroughs who hasn't wrestled a top Russian since the Olympics where it was razor thin, they have no clear contenders for medals at the worlds in 2014.

Burroughs didn't wrestle a Russian in the 2013 Worlds because their guy, Khubezhy, got beat by the guy from India who then got pummeled by Burroughs in the next match.

I noticed that Snyder used the Yazdani step-on-the-foot single to score his TD. Just watched the action on the 10:30 TV showing; they left off Metcalf, Kennedy, Steiber, and Garrett's matches (didn't even mention their matches, just that the US won 8-3. I will not be negative about the commentary, but we have seen better; Bader and Joe are much better.

Burroughs with the pin! Match was close and I guess Sanakoev got desperate.

After watching this match I'm not sure how you could make this post. It was 12-3 when JB hit the double to pin him.

Burroughs with the pin! Match was close and I guess Sanakoev got desperate.

After watching this match I'm not sure how you could make this post. It was 12-3 when JB hit the double to pin him.

Not sure what you saw, but the match was definitely close. Burroughs was shut down until the very end of the 1st period. Called for passivity and put on the shot clock because he was getting pushed around. Scored on a counter with 10 seconds left in the 1st to tie it at 3. Had a 5-3 lead for most of the 2nd and then simply broke his opponent. With how easy it is to rack up points under the new system, the score is not always an indicator of the parity in a match. I loved the way he poured it on at the end though. When an opponent wants to give up, give him a way to do it.

Rulon though.....I had to shut the volume off halfway through the 2nd match of the broadcast. Used the word "ultimately" incessantly. The phrase "ya know" was a close second. Absolutely painful to listen to.

So all of our Freestyle World and Olympic Champions have wrestled in college except one, but that's the best way to train for international styles now...and I might add, that one, has never made a World or Olympic team after his flash of brilliance.

Can someone explain the scoring in the first period in the Steiber match. Steiber shoots and Garcia gets a chest lock exposure then spins behind Steiber and only scores 2. Why was that not scored 2 exposure and 2 TD?

So all of our Freestyle World and Olympic Champions have wrestled in college except one, but that's the best way to train for international styles now...and I might add, that one, has never made a World or Olympic team after his flash of brilliance.

Well the tOSU program sure hasn't helped Stieber's FS progression.

Well the tOSU program sure hasn't helped Stieber's FS progression.

interesting that you cite a training center where stieber would probably be training anyway, and had over half of our world team last year.