Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

holy...

I feel bad saying this but it has to be said … Rulon should NOT be the face of wrestling. He has really let himself go and what the hell is up with his ear? Freaking disgusting. It's not just the typical cauliflower ear. Dam thing is bent and broken into a weird slit. We do not need current and future wrestlers seeing that as an example, let alone their parents.

I give him tons of credit for what he accomplished but the sport has to think about its image, and that is not the image to be shown.

Ageed that Rulon has always been a bad announcer. But the fault is with NBC whose execs seem to know the name of just one wrestler-- that big guy who beat the Russian... yeah, him-- and have no idea that he won in greco or that greco is different from freestyle.

He is a TERRIBLE announcer as well. Just kept repeating himself. It was awkward to listen to. Even my roommates (who granted live in Iowa so they know more than the average layman) commented that the announcer just kept repeating himself and not explaining anything.

I feel bad saying this but it has to be said … Rulon should NOT be the face of wrestling. He has really let himself go and what the hell is up with his ear? Freaking disgusting. It's not just the typical cauliflower ear. Dam thing is bent and broken into a weird slit. We do not need current and future wrestlers seeing that as an example, let alone their parents.

I give him tons of credit for what he accomplished but the sport has to think about its image, and that is not the image to be shown.

------

Rulon did look enormous. I thought he'd lost a bunch of weight for that TV show a while back…. must've gained it all back and then some. Not a great announcer, imo. As far as the ear…. maybe he's part elf.

I'm friend's with Rulon on Facebook and the guy while a great athlete is pretty much unable to shove together much of a coherent thought. I wonder seriously if he has some kind of brain damage. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm serious. Also his rants against the president and that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by our current president is pretty funny. Because most of the comments his other "friends" leave tell him he should stick to wrestling and not comment on science. Fortunately his posts are blocked from being shared.

Rulon Gardner

May 6 near Cheyenne, WY

Funny our President had another bogus global warming study done. Again humans should stop living because our planet is going to die. What a pile of S@@T.

I haven't kept up with Rulon over the years, save for that show where he lost all that weight, but he doesn't look good, and after looking at his Facebook page, I don't know what to think. It's like he's punchy, but wrestling doesn't make you punchy. With his weight it could be serious health issues. I hope he is okay. Jeff Blatnick is probably rolling over in his grave after that broadcast. I seriously don't think Rulon even knew the rules had changed a lot recently. Get up to date of you are going on a major network to be the face of wrestling.

Lol you know you should just shut up when Facebook blocks your comments from being shared. I didn't even know they could do that.

Besides grossing out all of the viewers with his appearance, Rulon is not a good commentator. His rambling was frustrating, and I kept on waiting for him to stop talking.

Wouldn't it make WAY more sense to have Daniel Cormier on there? He's a current UFC star (and Dana White was there) who's a former (freestyle) Olympian. He's had lots of success as a speaker for the UFC.

The thing is .... there are probably 20 guys at least that could to the "Voice" and Announcing. Not sure why, the TV people keep going back to the "well" for the Same 'ole .. Same 'Ole ..

Having said that ... How many of us, on this forum have ever announced, or done color commentary on a wrestling Match/dual etc ??

For the last 4 years I've been doing High School announcing/color. At first I was horrible !! I know wrestling, I know what is happening, yet getting it from the brain, to the mouth in a timely manner was really hard!! Also, trying to not talk all over the action, and inserting comments in a timely manner ... It's tough. ..... Just sayin' :o

I watched with a few non-wrestling buddies and they couldnt get past how bad he looked and kept asking why he wouldnt shut up. USA Wrestling should help guide them towards JB, Herbert or literally ANYONE else to offer color commentary. We made non-wrestling fans scratch their heads, listening to his rambling jibberish

Rameses

I can't believe it is his health that is causing this type of weight gain. He has to be close to 420-440. I have never liked his announcing but this will likely be it for him unless he cleans himself up. It breaks my heart to see him like this. I do agree with his global warming is a hoax rants though. It is a hoax, maybe the biggest hoax of all time-my opinion:-) I never enter that discussion normaly becasue I don't want to start an argument:-) He lost a toe and came back and won bronze. Maybe their is another comeback left in him-I hope!

Ru has a heart of gold. Would give you the shirt off his back. Not quite sure what his ear has to do with anything though. It's a sport where you get disfigured. Most people know that.

He probably does have a heart of gold, but he has a mouth of coal. The guy was am embarassment and should never commentate by himself again. There are dozens of eloquent representatives of the sport.

I can't believe it is his health that is causing this type of weight gain. He has to be close to 420-440. I have never liked his announcing but this will likely be it for him unless he cleans himself up. It breaks my heart to see him like this. I do agree with his global warming is a hoax rants though. It is a hoax, maybe the biggest hoax of all time-my opinion:-) I never enter that discussion normaly becasue I don't want to start an argument:-) He lost a toe and came back and won bronze. Maybe their is another comeback left in him-I hope!

:roll: :? :roll: