Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Seriously? We don't get to see Metcalf-Kurbanaliev?

Are you effing kidding me? #1 guy in the weight, by the description possibly the most exciting match of the event, Metcalf is just as big a star in wrestling as anyone other than Burroughs and possibly Taylor. The highest scoring match of the event and we can't fit it in. WOw. Just...wow.

was bummed about that too. hopefully the full set of matches get posted at some point. the HD quality was excellent.

but im also glad they showed the ruth match. last freestyle i saw him wrestle was the university games where he didnt look very excited to be wrestling in siberia and went one and done. Friev may have been jet lagged and uninspired but he's no pushover. he's got some decent tournaments and Ruth demolished him. his arms are just nuts. gonna be fun watching him him commit to freestyle.

thought the same thing.... hate to be that guy, but i would have left the women out. if not them, ruth.

I feel the same way regarding the women's match, especially right at the beginning when you are trying to hook viewers. Should of been Metcalf right at the start. Ruth match was quick so I'm not sure eliminating it would of helped. Besides, what american doesn't like a good ole fashion beat down by one of their wrestlers. Overall, I thought they did a good job and I was very happy to see them air matches in their entirety.

Woman's match was the right thing to do. But I agree, not the lead off. I would have switched out the Ruth and Metcalf match. But perhaps fitting it all in did drive the way they did it. Glad they had it on TV even if tape delayed.

Count me in as a Metcalf fan. Loved seeing him in that match. Great job.

Woman's match was the right thing to do. But I agree, not the lead off. I would have switched out the Ruth and Metcalf match. But perhaps fitting it all in did drive the way they did it. Glad they had it on TV even if tape delayed.

Count me in as a Metcalf fan. Loved seeing him in that match. Great job.

Why was it the right thing to do? To attract viewers, or to be PC? In the middle of the NBA playoffs, do they cut to the WNBA so their five fans can feel good about that product? No one wants to watch women's wrestling, certainly not at the expense of real wrestlers. If I wanted to watch that level of wrestling, I'd go watch youth wrestling at the rec level.

Well, NJWC I enjoy watching women's wrestling. Granted, if given the option I would have shown the Metcalf match over Maroulis but I would rather watch Helen's match than the Kennedy Bogomoev (sp) match where the only points came off the shot clock.

Also, I bet you some of those women wrestlers would wipe the mat with you without breaking a sweat.

Also, I bet you some of those women wrestlers would wipe the mat with you without breaking a sweat.

I am sure their are a ton of women in the WNBA that could demolish me on the hardwood, but that doesn't mean that the WNBA should be on over the NBA.

The transitivity here is that the Metcalf match wasn't shown, and I was so pumped up that I finally got to watch some wrestling, even though I had to wait five additional hours to see it, and the led off with a woman's match. Not exactly the hook I was hoping for.

i'd rather have all the matches on the broadcast but i dont think adding one women's match is egregious. plus it was a good match. and Maroulis has a lot of potential to increase the visibility and viability of women's wrestling ie she has crossover appeal and all that.

looks like all the matches are on flo but behind their paywall. im guessing they'll pop up for free somewhere at some point. considering how nice the HD quality was of the matches we did get to see on NBCSN i dont think it's too bad of a trade off.

Also remember folks, the IOC pays a lot of attention to the treatment and showcasing of women's sports. One of the IOC folks here in the US was adamantly critical of only one women's match during the Rails last year ... it will always be a balancing act

That being said, I'd have swapped Ruth and Metcalf ...

I am sure their are a ton of women in the WNBA that could demolish me on the hardwood, but that doesn't mean that the WNBA should be on over the NBA.

The transitivity here is that the Metcalf match wasn't shown, and I was so pumped up that I finally got to watch some wrestling, even though I had to wait five additional hours to see it, and the led off with a woman's match. Not exactly the hook I was hoping for.

I was more speaking to the fact that he said women's wrestling wasn't 'real wrestling'. Get on the mat with one of them and I bet they can show you just how real it is. You can say men's wrestling is more exciting or high level without putting down the women.

Like JB said, if you want to showcase men's wrestling and keep it in the Olympics you are going to have to showcase women's wrestling and have women's wrestling in the Olympics.

I was more speaking to the fact that he said women's wrestling wasn't 'real wrestling'. Get on the mat with one of them and I bet they can show you just how real it is. You can say men's wrestling is more exciting or high level without putting down the women.

Like JB said, if you want to showcase men's wrestling and keep it in the Olympics you are going to have to showcase women's wrestling and have women's wrestling in the Olympics.

I getcha now. I didn't mind watching the women's match, but I would have suggested going with a male off the bat, then subbed Ruth for Metcalf. I mean if you are already showing it in delay why only show the last six matches, when you can pick and choose the most exciting ones. It was on tape delay, so it's not like they didn't know that they could have hand picked the matches they wanted to show anyway.

Oh well, I still think it was a great event for wrestling, just thought the execution of the plan could have been better.