Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Alternate International Rankings

Here is the first draft of my alternate rankings. I'm hoping we can make these "our" rankings, with plenty of input and constructive criticism. Ill try to post some justification for the rankings I come up with. My criteria for ranking is posted in a separate thread; keep in mind that they are guidelines only and there will always be some reliance on gut feeling and the eye test. Also I am not aware of all results.

57 kg: pretty tough to rank IMO. Tons of savvy veterans that dont compete a whole lot. I also went back and forth as to who is #1 and am still not totally comfortable with my pick.

1- Lebedev, Russia. The 2x world champ had a rough return to competition, including a DNP at the Yarygin, but has since found his groove Won a spectacular match vs the defending world champ at the world cup. Best credentials on this list.

2- Rahimi, Iran. Defending world champ has looked good in limited action.

3. Khinegashvilli, Georgia. The Olympic silver medallist must be loving this new weight. Won Euros.

4. Kumar, India. Was NOT impressed that the defending silver medallist defaulted his world cup match to Rahimi.

5. Israpoliov, Russia. World bronze medallist also 3rd at Yarygin,

6: Pekar, Turkey

7: Yang, prk

8: Tulbea, Moldova

8; Velikov, Bilgaria

10: Ampar, Russia

Already posted justification but post wouldn't save, let me know if you gave questions. I'll try to make the list more readable when I have access to a computer.

61 kg. struggled a but with where to put Aliyev but pretty straightforward IMO.

1: Otarsultanov, Russia. List his first match back I thibk but the injury probe Olympic champ is back on top after winning Yarygin. My favorite wrestler to watch.

2: Aliyev, Azerbayjan. Breakthrough Euro performance just killing Goygeerev in finals.

3: Goygeerev, Russia. World champ figured out a bit but still good, 2nd at Yarygin and Euros

4: Esmailpour, Iran. Fantastic grinder followed up world bronze with World Cup win, beat Aliyev last year.

5: Bogomev, Russia. Still 3-1 vs Kennedy

6: Bajrang, India. World bronze medallist inconsistent this year.

7: Sat, Russia. Apparently defecting to Turkey?

8: Kennedy, USA. May be too low actually. Hell of a season this year.

9: Fedorishin, Ukraine. Does the old man still have it?

that would be interesting if Sat started wrestling for Turkey. I'm generally a fan of wrestling competing for different federations, not because i have anything against Russia's team but because it gets more top competitors in the best tournaments.

might also be worth mentioning that Sat, as a Tuvan, probably speaks a Turkic language, so it might make the switch easier. he's also probably a Buddist, which is neither here nor there but just an interesting factoid to me.

6: Pekar, Turkey

7: Yang, prk

8: Tulbea, Moldova

8; Velikov, Bilgaria

10: Ampar, Russia

Already posted justification but post wouldn't save, let me know if you gave questions. I'll try to make the list more readable when I have access to a computer.

Tulbea is still competing? Man

Tulbea is ageless. Placed 2 at Euros.

Ideas for #10? I'm considering Scott, the Cuban, or that Kazack whose name starts with N.

65 kg. thanks Metcalf for messing these up.

1: Safayran, Armenia. Defending world champ inactive dye to injury I believe.

2: Kyrbanaliev, Russia. 0-4 vs Americans, kills everyone else.

3: Lopez, Cuba. 3x world medallist. Maybe in generalizing here but the Cubans often seem unstoppable until the world finals ( see also 86).

4: Metcalf, USA. We've heard this before but man does he look good heading into worlds.

5: Ganjazorig, Mongolia. Don't know much about him but he was crazy impressive in winning world bronze.

6: Taghavi, Iran. Wonder if he'll move to 70.

7: Adgarov, Azerbayjan. I gave the 55 and 61 kg Russians high rankings despite a crappy first tournament back, he's better come on strong like they are now if he wants to stay ranked at 65.

The Kazakh is in at #10 for 61.

Continuing 65 we have

8: Garcia, Canada. A world medal continues to elude this wily veteran.

9: Gomez, PR. As others have pointed out he has had a great season bumping from 60.

10: Romanov, Russia. Russian and Yarygin medallist beat up Metcalf this year.

I'm gonna do 70 which will require much research and guesswork so might take done time to set up especially if I don't loin at filas rankings for the weight.

70 kg... I suspect this will look much different soon, when people tire of sucking to 66 and losing to Burroughs respectively. Indias Sushil Kumar keeps saying he will compete at this weight, which would make him #1 if he looks halfway decent. Not going to rank him until he steps on the mat though.

1: Hoskeikhani, Iran. Won world cup and Asian championships handily. Pretty sure this is the guy who beat Metcalf, Taghavi and Garzon at 66 but couldnt get the world team nod.

2: Garzon, Cuba. The 4x world medallist is back from suspension and won the Cuban nationals at this weight (I think).

3. Diberghadziev, Azerbayjan. Won European championships with a tech in the finals.

4.Marable, USA. Might be ranked too high, and had a weird loss at the world cup, but he has won several tournaments this year, seems to have his weight under control... and oh yeah, he BEAT JORDAN BURROUGHJS!

5. Gor, Turkey. Tough 66 kg veteran has several European medals and a world cup gold.

6: Kasumov, Russia. Won Yarygin with tech fall in the finals.

7: Grigoryian, Armenia. 2nd at Euros.

I will admit I looked to FILA rankings for guidance after this, but came up empty. This is a very empty weight (relatively speaking) and a huge opportunity.

74 kg:

note that Kyle Dake will not be ranked until he returns from injury.

1: Burroughs, USA. Duh.

2: Geduev, Russia. Won Yarygin and Euros again. Will he get screwed out of world team spot again...

3: Kurbanov, Uzebekistan. World bronze medallist won that hell-bracket where Dake wrestled with a broken hand, That tournament was basically the world championships over again without JB.

4: Gadjimagomedov,, Russia. Dont know much about this guy but placed second at Yarygin and just destroyed the Iranian silver medallist with throws at the world cup.

5: Akbari, Iran. The world silver medallist has taken several losses this year.,

6. Tsargush, Russia. I feel like the 2x world champs heart hasnt been in it since he lost at the Olympics.

7: Taylor, USA. The magic man very impressive with limited FS results,

8: Shabanau, Belarus. Not a fan, but he did place 3rd at worlds.

9: Hasaynov, Azerbayjan. The 2x world bronze medallist is a bit undersized but still placed 2nd at Euros,

10: Afsazi, IRan. Beat Akbari at Takhti cup and won Asians. Just like Russia and the US, Iran is very deep at this weight.

86 kg: Very deep weight, but all the top wrestlers have pretty big weaknesses as well. Fun and unpredictable to try and rank.

1: Salas, Cuba. Most impressive wrestler at worlds IMO- until the finals. The silver medallist won Gramna cup in Cuba this year.

2: Sadulov, Russia. He may not really be a teenager, but he is a fantastic wrestler, won Euros (easily) and Yarygin.

3: Aldatov, Ukraine. How do you rank a 2x world champ who tanks the rest of the season every year.... not sure if this is the right spot for him or not.

4: Lashgari, Iran. The 2x bronze medallist mediocre at World Cup.

5: Vereb, Hungary. World and Euro bronze.

6: Gaidrov, Belarus (I think?) the ageless one placed 2nd at Euros. Like several on this list would probably love an 80 kg weight.

7: Sokviev, Uzbekistan . Hasn't looked good lately but 4x world medallist always a threat.

8: Foster, USA. Beats Aldatov, Lashgari, mashgarvilli but can't beat Gavin in 4 tries. I don't get it.

9: Mashgarvilli, Georgia. The 2x bronze medallist continues to struggle with horrific mental lapses.

10: Kudinayomegov, Russia. Or any one of the other top Russians who all seem to beat each other.

97 kg:

1: Yazdani, Iran. Duh.

2: Gadisov, Russia. Won Yarygin and Euros again. Surely he must win a world medal this year?

3: Gayzymov, Azerbayjan. Should maybe be 2 given my criteria but list pretty handily to Gadisov at Euros.

4: Oleski, Ukraine. Quietly racking up lots of hardware.

5: Varner, USA. Olympic champ looked good against weaker competition at nationals.

6: Sharifov, Azerbayjan. The 84 kg gold medallist keeps losing to his teammate.

I'll have to research the bottom 4 and heavyweight. Input is welcome.

The top 4 or 5 if you add Gatsalov at 213 are all time great talents-crazy. Somehow Varner avoided all of them at the Olympics. I still think Varner can medal but Gadisov will not be stopped this year. The foot stepping Yazdani will fall to him this year. Gayzmazov could win heavyweight easily in my opinion and should bump up. Gadisov is a small 213 so Heavyweight maybe too much for him.

7: Boltykaev, Russia. Bronze medallist with wins over Gatsalov and Gadisov sidelined by injury. This guy should maybe be at 6 actually.

8: Andiiyev, Ukraine. Another country with the depth to sit an Olympic medallist.

9/10: more Russians, they're just so good. I'll go with Akhmedov and Ketoev, pending further review of who past beat whom.

I also want Gayzymov to go to heavy but he won't win easily, Gatsalov has beat him several times.

213 is just plain sick. Kinda like 185 was from 2000 -2004. There are at least 8-10 guys would could win worlds here if the top 3 or 4 guys were not born:-). I would say many of these guys could win Heavyweight if Gatsalov can do it past his prime! Gatsalov is maybe 4th here at 213 buts wins 275 pretty easily-doesn't make sense.

Crazy depth at 96 indeed.

Heavy:

1: Gatsalov. I've been trying to figure out why he's spigot good and what stands out there us nothing he's bad at. Can shoot all sides and shots with ease. Tie up and he'll toss you. While he doesn't bother much ob the ground in sure he still has that nasty guy wrench from his younger days. Also freakishly strong and never out of position.

2: Zazeev, Ukraine. Beat the #1 Georgian, lost to the #2.

3: Agkul, Turkey. Torched the European championships with ease.

4: Ghasemi, Iran. Olympic medalist won the Asian title.

5: petroshvilli, Georgia. Young star list a wild one to Zazeev with one arm. Hope he's ok.

6: Dlagnev, USA. Dominated us open.

7: Ashkarzarib, Iran. Split two wild matches 8-8 and 7-8 with Gatsalov in Iranuan league

8: Modzavilla, Georgia. Poor Euros showing for Olympic silver medallist.

9: Ligeti, Hungary. Pretty sure thus multi Euro medallist thee and pinned the works champ in Greco a couple years ago.

10: Khugaev, Russia. Won Yarygin, 2 at Euros, but has not looked terribly impressive.

Armspin, excellent work, love what you're doing here.

To be honest, didn't really have time to analyze your rankings yet, but just a quick nitpick so far; little surprised Taghavi isn't ranked higher. And I have the same question, will he bump up to 70kg? To me, he always looked like a huge 66kg.

Does anyone know approximately how much weight Taghavi cuts, and even a bigger question is he still wrestling?

(Spin - gonna get through your rankings this weekend - should have time.)

Not that I'm an expert, but great rankings. Pretty much hard to argue with any of your weight classes.

Just my personal tweaks:

57kg Always been a big Lebedev fan, but I'd flip flop 1 & 2. Rahimi's looked so tough and is the defending world champ. Don't know how old Lebedev is, but just wondering if he's peaked already. Could be totally wrong on that, Victor is a terrific talent.

61kg Nice list, although I could very possibly see # 7 and # 8, Opan Sat and Jimmy Kennedy winning a medal in this field.

65kg If Taghavi is still in this field, I'd have him somewhere top 3. Also, # 10 Soslan Romanov is a medal threat.

Other than that I have no comments on your other weight classes. Excellent job spin!

Interesting, just looked at the current FILA rankings.

57kg Lebedev at #6 and Rahimi at #7.

61kg Kennedy is ranked #14

65kg No mention of either Taghavi or Metcalf. As many have already pointed out, Gomez is #2, Emeev #17, and Frank Chamizo (now Italy) is #18.

I went back and forth between Lebedev and Rahimi for the #1 spot. Rahimi is the more defending world champ, but Lebedev has 2 titles and just beat him 4-3. However Lebedev also has some losses this year. I dont know his age but I know he almost died a couple years ago from carbon monoxide poisoning dragging his family out of a contaminated house. Gotta think that affected his training.

What is unacceptable is having these guys (esp. Rahimi) ranked 7 and 8. This kind of frustration with FILAs ranking is what made my try my hand at my own.

About Taghavi... it does look wrong to have him ranked below Metcalf. However he he has won just 1 match in the past 2 world championships. From what ive heard from Iranians he cuts a crapload of weight. Last year he missed much of the season with personal issues (mother passed away, I think) and when it was time to wrestle off for the world team spot he got several kg allowance and stll didnt make it (if I remember correctly- was posted by Iranians on TWT).