Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

I am not sure the Maryland and Rutgers fans realize....

How brutal the B1G conference is. Yes you have teams like Purdue, Indiana and MSU. Yet these teams still beat most, if not all, of the Mid Major and Lower tier conference teams.

After you factor out the above 3 you have:

1.)PSU: 4X defending champs who could easily finish as low as 4th in the Conference this year.

2.)Minnesota: This year's runner up still has 5 returning AA's.

3.)Iowa: They will most likely be the preseason/early season #1 team with 4 returning AA's.

4.)tOSU: They have the firepower to win it all. The Stieber bros return and they have a stable of top recruits.

5.)UofM: A ton of proven young guys. At 5th in the B1G I have them finishing 6t. at the NCAA tournament.

6.)Northwestern: Tsirtsis, McMullan and Harger are back and they have a stable of high end recruits as well.

From here down the teams are nearly interchangeable.

7.)Illinois: For as good as they are they are only a middle of the pack B1G team. They return 2X NCAA champ Delgado and if they can stay healthy(recent issues) are solid at every weight.

8.)Nebraska: AA's Green and Kokesh return. They have a solid guy at nearly every weight and just brought in the #6 recruiting class.

9.)Wisconsin: They have done very well in the wake of the Pritzlaff fiasco. They return AA Jordan and have several guys like Medberry on the cusp of becoming an AA.

I know it has to help recruiting to move to the B1G but both schools will be lucky to finish top10 in this conference for years to come.

interact with more UMD and RU fans then. they know. the fact that the B1G is beastly is not a secret.

I am not sure the fans that POST ON THIS SITE realize what I am talking about. Since we are only interacting with a select group on here I thought that was understood!?!?

Do you realize this post was a direct result of what NJWC posted in another topic?

interact with more UMD and RU fans then. they know. the fact that the B1G is beastly is not a secret.

Since I do not have the necessary amount of interaction with said fans to make the statement, how many fans should I interact with to have an acceptable sample size? Since you are able to answer the question what is the sample size of each school you have interacted with?

Who really cares if they go 1-8 in conference next year? I can just about guarantee that they will improve their standing at Nationals during the next couple of years. They have access to some of the most fertile recruiting territories in the country. The future is bright.

BTW, I'm not a Jersey guy.

Thanks for the rundown of Big teams. I wasn't aware that those were Big programs. I thought it was Campbell and Sacred Heart.

Ok, "Mr. Improperly Used Sarcasm Guy" tell me where you think Rutgers fits into the teams I RANKED(important to point out the obvious to you).

Who really cares if they go 1-8 in conference next year? I can just about guarantee that they will improve their standing at Nationals during the next couple of years. They have access to some of the most fertile recruiting territories in the country. The future is bright.

I agree with what you are saying. I think it is a benefit to Rutgers that they are joining the B1G. It will definitely improve their overall standing. I was simply drawn in by someone knocking down UofM(remember I am from MSU and it is rare someone from MSU defends UofM). Rutgers has shown nothing to indicate they are at UofM's level and as much as I like Pritzlaff he is not a magician. Anything he accomplishes at Rutgers will take time and Michigan will not immediately self destruct due to his departure.

I am not sure the fans that POST ON THIS SITE realize what I am talking about. Since we are only interacting with a select group on here I thought that was understood!?!?

Do you realize this post was a direct result of what NJWC posted in another topic?

yes i posted on the thread that NJWC posted on. the subject line of this thread implies that all UMD and RU fans are not properly informed about the greatness of the B1G. i dont think that is a reasonable assumption, despite NJWC's post.

My thoughts on RU next season are they would beat(in a Dual meet) Mich St, Indiana, Maryland and Purdue. Unfortunately they only wrestle Maryland out of those 4 next season. I think like most teams in the nation they will get beat handily by PSU, Iowa, Minn and Ohio St. I think they will have close matches with Northwestern, Wisc, Illinois and Neb. RU is improving their depth and talent, so I think they will be improved a lot next season.

Since I do not have the necessary amount of interaction with said fans to make the statement, how many fans should I interact with to have an acceptable sample size? Since you are able to answer the question what is the sample size of each school you have interacted with?

how about more than 1?

dude i love your contributions to this forum but calm down. one fan made one insane prediction about RU (as much as i like seeing the optimism) and you start a thread which assumes that ALL UMD (why include Maryland fans by the way?) and RU fans are clueless. this entire thread is completely unnecessary.

altho on the other hand, what fun would the offseason be if it were for unnecessary and inflammatory message board threads?

I agree with what you are saying. I think it is a benefit to Rutgers that they are joining the B1G. It will definitely improve their overall standing. I was simply drawn in by someone knocking down UofM(remember I am from MSU and it is rare someone from MSU defends UofM). Rutgers has shown nothing to indicate they are at UofM's level and as much as I like Pritzlaff he is not a magician. Anything he accomplishes at Rutgers will take time and Michigan will not immediately self destruct due to his departure.

So you're a Old school elitist who demands respect from the newcomers, gotcha. I stand by what I posted, UM has nothing that can't be overcome by RU. Do I see RU passing PSU, IA or MN any time soon? No, but the gap should close. Is there any reason they shouldn't settle into the level of UM, ILL, Neb, UW? None at all. They're already better than IU, Purdue, MSU.

RU is very young, and their lineup this year will be much stronger than last. You guys are too funny, wrestling needs more programs to compete, and when there are opportunities for that to happen, you feel threatened.

What from my previous post was inaccurate? Or would you prefer to just be sarcastic? I'm sure IA fans wish times never changed, you'd still have the top program in the sport. Fortunately, times change.

I'm at Rutgers now, and they're getting Minny, PSU, tOSU, and Iowa at home. I would not be the least bit surprised if one or two of those duals ends 45-0.

I think you are too optimistic - RU will have a hard time shutting out any of those teams ;)

RU is very young, and their lineup this year will be much stronger than last. You guys are too funny, wrestling needs more programs to compete, and when there are opportunities for that to happen, you feel threatened.

What from my previous post was inaccurate? Or would you prefer to just be sarcastic? I'm sure IA fans wish times never changed, you'd still have the top program in the sport. Fortunately, times change.

Who said I don't want teams to compete? That said, if you say crazy stuff, expect to get made fun of for saying crazy stuff. You just said that Rutgers is ALREADY BETTER THAN MICHIGAN. As in today. You're just being foolish. But hey, they finally got their first AA. And how does Iowa have anything to do with it? They are the last team other than Penn State to win a national title. They'll be the preseason #1 team next year. I'm not sure what that strawman had to do with the price of tea in China, but whatevs.

Who said I don't want teams to compete? That said, if you say crazy stuff, expect to get made fun of for saying crazy stuff. You just said that Rutgers is ALREADY BETTER THAN MICHIGAN. As in today. You're just being foolish. But hey, they finally got their first AA. And how does Iowa have anything to do with it? They are the last team other than Penn State to win a national title. They'll be the preseason #1 team next year. I'm not sure what that strawman had to do with the price of tea in China, but whatevs.

I said RU is already better than UM? Really? Where was that stated? Again, I'd like to know why RU can't compete at the level I previously stated (and actually stated, not a fabricated version).

Again, I'd like to know why RU can't compete at the level I previously stated (and actually stated, not a fabricated version).

Because they've never done it, ever, in their entire history. Last I checked, they've been located in NJ for a long time. Every year it's "this is the year Rutgers gets over the hump!" Now, not only are they going over the hump, they're going to be a top 10 team in the country. Because joining the Big 10 is a cure-all.

even with the Pritzlaff hire, i have to imagine Michigan will have a much higher paid coaching staff and with superior facilities as well. doesnt Michigan have a top tier wrestling center? i'm not sure what RU has in the way of dedicated facilities.

i'd like to think Rutgers can get to Michigan's level eventually, but its going to take way more than 2 years imo.

i dont think its really a hump that they need to get over, so much as a continued, gradual climb. RU wasn't even NJ the flagship state school until the 1950s. and as far as athletic associates, the longest "conference" they've been in was the "Little Three" with Lehigh and Lafayette. the idea that they should even be a competitive D1 program in any sport was only firmly established in the 90's.