Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

I am not sure the Maryland and Rutgers fans realize....

Again who are the "some people?"

I am NOT going to point out names as that WILL make it personal. However, you will notice, in this thread, I am not the only one who says it is more than one.....

Also my female underwear were never in a bunch. I thought it was an interesting topic that could use some healthy debate. Those who immediately felt offended and responded aggressively seem to be the ones who had their undergarments improperly situated......

On a serious and completely not confrontational note, how do you think Rutgers will do this year? B1G dual record? B1G tournament finish? NCAA finish?

I didn't see a mention of "some" or "one" in this title or any of the subsequent posts.

I am not sure the Maryland and Rutgers fans realize.... by MSU158 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:04 am

More like a broad, sweeping shot at Rutgers fans. Hard to understand what sensible thought process could drive a posting like this. Looking for an argument? Trying to get some anonymous shots in on a group to make yourself feel better? Like I said, hard to understand.

I've not seen anyone suggest that Rutgers will be first division in the B1G. They will take their lumps. They'll win very few duals - but at least they will be in the fight. The fans will be supportive and hopefully the administration will support them as well. The guys will get battle tested and will better understand the hammers that will be in St. Louis. That's good enough for me.

I hate to break the news to everybody here, but Maryland and Rutgers moving to the Big 10 had absolutely nothing to do wrestling. Like most things in college athletics, it was all about football and the $$$ (Big 10 Network). If they can't compete with the big boys in the Big 10 in wrestling, their administration could care less.

I didn't see a mention of "some" or "one" in this title or any of the subsequent posts.

I am not sure the Maryland and Rutgers fans realize.... by MSU158 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:04 am

More like a broad, sweeping shot at Rutgers fans. Hard to understand what sensible thought process could drive a posting like this. Looking for an argument? Trying to get some anonymous shots in on a group to make yourself feel better? Like I said, hard to understand.

I've not seen anyone suggest that Rutgers will be first division in the B1G. They will take their lumps. They'll win very few duals - but at least they will be in the fight. The fans will be supportive and hopefully the administration will support them as well. The guys will get battle tested and will better understand the hammers that will be in St. Louis. That's good enough for me.

I intentionally did not post some fans. I wanted to invite every fan into the discussion. I never thought in a million years people would take this post as a direct insult.

If someone said I am not sure left handed people(I am left handed) can tie their shoes correctly, I would laugh and say they were wrong as I can. If someone said I didn't realize how bad MSU has become in wrestling, I would laugh and say I am well aware. I would never consider taking offense to it.

I hate to break the news to everybody here, but Maryland and Rutgers moving to the Big 10 had absolutely nothing to do wrestling. Like most things in college athletics, it was all about football and the $$$ (Big 10 Network). If they can't compete with the big boys in the Big 10 in wrestling, their administration could care less.

I would tend to agree with you, but opening the pocketbook (as they must surely have done to get Pritzlaff on board) would suggest otherwise.

I hate to break the news to everybody here, but Maryland and Rutgers moving to the Big 10 had absolutely nothing to do wrestling.

more news that can be properly filed away under "no duh"

Delaney wanted the NYC to Washington corridor to be part of the B1G footprint. RU and UMD wants to elevate their athletic and academic programs up to B1G standards. both sides come out winners and now we can all have a party.

I don't see where the move to the Big 10 is going to make a big difference in their programs. I think there are bigger issues with both programs and moving conferences is not going to solve their major issues. Here is my take on the two programs:

Rutgers: Campus and school are not attractive enough to really excite recruits(out of state) about going to Rutgers. Top recruits on the east coast have many options and Rutgers doesn't offer enough to offer. The Ivy leagues and other eastern powers(as well as the Pa state schools) have more to offer than Rutgers, unfortunately. Rutgers has to focus on keeping the Jersey kids home and pulling in kids from surrounding states(Pa, NY, De, etc). The problem with this is New Jersey does not have the talent alone to compete among the top teams in the Big 10. Jersey has a good high school state but other than their really talented kids(Burroughs, Caldwell, Valenti, Dubuque, Russell) their state just does not have enough depth to develop a real competitive team in the Big 10. They have already brought in NJ's best over the last 6-7 years and have only had one All American. Even top kids who have gone elsewhere have not done a lot at NCAA's. I think that the Rutgers fans think their state is better than the facts actually have shown. With all this said, the move to bring Pritzloff back is a start but a top recruit would have to consider the campus, the history of producing AA's, the depth of the coaching staff, grad assistant recruits, etc. In all these areas, their are a number of programs which offer a better opportunity.

Maryland: Maryland, on the other hand, has a few plusses that Rutgers lacks. I believe their campus and location is a bigger selling point than Rutgers. However, Maryland has even less to draw from when you consider Maryland High School wrestling. They are have to going to have to a great job of evaluating the 2nd tier prospects from Pa, NJ, NY, etc. So far, McCoy has not shown this ability. They also have a few of the same issues facing Rutgers in the fact that they have not produced many AA's and their coaching staffs do not offer their teams the same level of training partners and expertise that some of the other schools do.

Ultimately, I think both programs can be a 15-20 ranked school but to get much better than this will be a surprise with their current staffs, imo. I am not convinced that whether they are in the Big 10, EIWA, ACC or even the EWL, it is not going to make a huge difference.

I don't see where the move to the Big 10 is going to make a big difference in their programs. I think there are bigger issues with both programs and moving conferences is not going to solve their major issues. Here is my take not he two programs:

Rutgers: Campus and school are not attractive enough to really excite recruits(out of state) about going to Rutgers. Top recruits on the east coast have many options and Rutgers doesn't offer enough to offer. The Ivy leagues and other eastern powers(as well as the Pa state schools) have more to offer than Rutgers, unfortunately. Rutgers has to focus on keeping the Jersey kids home and pulling in kids from surrounding states(Pa, NY, De, etc). The problem with this is New Jersey does not have the talent alone to compete among the top teams in the Big 10. Jersey has a good high school state but other than their really talented kids(Burroughs, Caldwell, Valenti, Dubuque, Russell) their state just does not have enough depth to develop a real competitive team in the Big 10. They have already brought in NJ's best over the last 6-7 years and have only had one All American. Even top kids who have gone elsewhere have not done a lot at NCAA's. I think that the Rutgers fans think their state is better than the facts actually have shown. With all this said, the move to bring Pritzloff back is a start but a top recruit would have to consider the campus, the history of producing AA's, the depth of the coaching staff, grad assistant recruits, etc. In all these areas, their are a number of programs which offer a better opportunity.

Maryland: Maryland, on the other hand, has a few plusses that Rutgers lacks. I believe their campus and location is a bigger selling point than Rutgers. However, Maryland has even less to draw from when you consider Maryland High School wrestling. They are have to going to have to a great job of evaluating the 2nd tier prospects from Pa, NJ, NY, etc. So far, McCoy has not shown this ability. They also have a few of the same issues facing Rutgers in the fact that they have not produced many AA's and their coaching staffs do not offer their teams the same level of training partners and expertise that some of the other schools do.

Ultimately, I think both programs can be a 15-20 ranked school but to get much better than this will be a surprise with their current staffs, imo. I am not convinced that whether they are in the Big 10, EIWA, ACC or even the EWL, it is not going to make a huge difference.

Both schools offer east coast kids additional opportunities for the BIG experience. No conference is comparable to the BIG. I see Maryland and Rutgers becoming perennial top 15-25 programs in the near future and who knows what the distant future holds.

You make reference to Rutgers having less to offer than the PA state schools. Huh? wtf are you smoking?

I'm a PA native and a proud Penn State fan, but I agree with NJWC here. Rutgers has excellent academics and a beautiful campus (campuses, actually). They're an hour from the beach, an hour from Midtown Manhattan, an hour from Center City Philadelphia. There are opportunities available to students at Rutgers that are not available at Clarion or Lock Haven or Edinboro or Bloomsburg. Those schools are a great fit for many students. But Rutgers was in a different stratosphere even before the jump to the Big 10. IF they fail to recruit Big 10 quality wrestlers at Rutgers, it won't be because they're losing them to Slippery Rock.

You make reference to Rutgers having less to offer than the PA state schools. Huh? wtf are you smoking?

I'm a PA native and a proud Penn State fan, but I agree with NJWC here. Rutgers has excellent academics and a beautiful campus (campuses, actually). They're an hour from the beach, an hour from Midtown Manhattan, an hour from Center City Philadelphia. There are opportunities available to students at Rutgers that are not available at Clarion or Lock Haven or Edinboro or Bloomsburg. Those schools are a great fit for many students. But Rutgers was in a different stratosphere even before the jump to the Big 10. IF they fail to recruit Big 10 quality wrestlers at Rutgers, it won't be because they're losing them to Slippery Rock.

Is that because Slippery Rock dropped their program several years ago?

I'd think Rutgers would be measured in comparison to the likes of Lehigh or Pitt. (Not to mention Penn and PSU).

I'd think Rutgers would be measured in comparison to the likes of Lehigh or Pitt. (Not to mention Penn and PSU).

Well, most sane people would agree. There are, however, certain delusional folk from PA that would suggest a Clarion, Bloomsburg or Edinboro have more to offer. Not surprisingly, one of them suggests that "Pennsy rules".

Lol

One of Clarion's selling points is that it is an hour from, "Oil City". When that's what your putting on your brochures to attract prospective students, you know you've got a bit of an uphill battle.

Both schools offer east coast kids additional opportunities for the BIG experience. No conference is comparable to the BIG. I see Maryland and Rutgers becoming perennial top 15-25 programs in the near future and who knows what the distant future holds.

Not quite sure what you mean by "perennial", but in Maryland's case, they've already consistently finished in the "top 15-25" each year during a period that extends back to the middle of Santoro's tenure (since 2008), including a top 10 finish in 2009, and produced several all-americans, such as Hudson Taylor (3x), Josh Asper (2x), Jimmy Sheptock (2x), Steve Bell (2x), Alex Krom, Spencer Myers, and Mike Letts. If they continue to maintain this....and hopefully improve a bit to meet the enormous challenge they face entering the BIG, they should be fine.

As a PA resident, If my son was choosing between Rutgers and A PA State School like Bloomsburg, It's clear that Rutgers is a better school academically, but the question I would be trying to answer is how much better. Rutgers would cost me Approximately 26K more per year (x4 =$104,000) in state PA vs. Out of State NJ.

I am not sure Rutgers is academically prestigious enough to justify the cost difference. New York SUNY system is equally inexpensive and has some good schools in the system too.

That's the biggest hurdle Rutgers will have in drawing kids from NY and PA. A few will think it's worth it or can get scholarship money to offset the price difference but most will see Bloomsburg or Binghamton as a better value.

As a PA resident, If my son was choosing between Rutgers and A PA State School like Bloomsburg, It's clear that Rutgers is a better school academically, but the question I would be trying to answer is how much better. Rutgers would cost me Approximately 26K more per year (x4 =$104,000) in state PA vs. Out of State NJ.

I am not sure Rutgers is academically prestigious enough to justify the cost difference. New York SUNY system is equally inexpensive and has some good schools in the system too.

That's the biggest hurdle Rutgers will have in drawing kids from NY and PA. A few will think it's worth it or can get scholarship money to offset the price difference but most will see Bloomsburg or Binghamton as a better value.

There is no comparison, academically or otherwise, between the PA state schools and Rutgers. If you're talking ROI, it's always a question of value.