Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

I am not sure the Maryland and Rutgers fans realize....

Rutgers has improved each year under Goodale. The Scarlet Knights will continue to get better. More NJ kids are considering Rutgers when in the past they weren't even on the radar. Suriano gave Rutgers a serious look. He went to Penn State but eventually Rutgers will keep most of their best. College wrestling needs a strong Rutgers.

Edited by gowrestle

NJWC,

First off, remember that my argument wasn't solely Rutgers.  It was both Maryland and Rutgers.

One year at 5th place doesn't blow my theory out of the water.  And I MOST DEFINITELY did not say they were a bottom feeder program.  I simply said it will be hard for them to finish Top 10.  That was more of a testament to how STRONG the B1G has been.  They had a very solid year this past season.  5th in the B1G and 7th out of the B1G at NCAA's.  Still, do you really want to use that as some giant "I told you so?"   

Perhaps reflect on why you would go out of your way to denigrate a team that has great fan support, popular coaching, and is working hard to make gains.  Your "theory" is the stuff of which blowhards are made.   

FYI - the RU Wrestling Team Blood Drive is tomorrow.  Step up to the plate.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.  

A couple points after skimming 6 pages of this nonsense.

1. RU has had 2 AA's (3 really if you add em' up).

2. The criticism of Michigan is warranted.  They are the most talented team to underachieve every year.  That being said, they will finish ahead of Rutgers every year.  

They always have untimely injuries and historic under-performances (as a program).  If they ever put it together they are right there at the top.

TFBJR,

Thanks for your helpful, yet hypocritical, insight.

I know you really wanted an opportunity to use a fancy word, but you may need to spend some more time learning what "denigrate" actually means.  If you actually READ all my posts, this wasn't aimed at the TEAM in ANY WAY.   It was a response to some over the top fans(I made that clear by putting "fans" in the title).   Even then, I didn't say anything truly negative about Rutgers.  All I said was that the B1G is super strong and they would have a hard time breaking through the B1G's second tier for some time. I have in multiple posts, complimented the Administration, Coaching Staff and the wrestlers themselves.

But, I now know who to go to to quote the wrong way to criticize as he actually does what he has quoted!

Edited to add: Oh, and I started this topic in May of 2014 BEFORE Pritzlaff had even taken the job at Rutgers. If I knew he was going to become, and stay, an integral part of the program, I definitely would have given a better prognosis.

Edited by MSU158

TFBJR,

Thanks for your helpful, yet hypocritical, insight.

I know you really wanted an opportunity to use a fancy word, but you may need to spend some more time learning what "denigrate" actually means.  If you actually READ all my posts, this wasn't aimed at the TEAM in ANY WAY.   It was a response to some over the top fans(I made that clear by putting "fans" in the title).   Even then, I didn't say anything truly negative about Rutgers.  All I said was that the B1G is super strong and they would have a hard time breaking through the B1G's second tier for some time. I have in multiple posts, complimented the Administration, Coaching Staff and the wrestlers themselves.

But, I now know who to go to to quote the wrong way to criticize as he actually does what he has quoted!

Edited to add: Oh, and I started this topic in May of 2014 BEFORE Pritzlaff had even taken the job at Rutgers. If I knew he was going to become, and stay, an integral part of the program, I definitely would have given a better prognosis.

Fancy word?  Setting the bar low I see.  

End of the day you went out of your way to rag a team and it's supporters. Says a lot more about you than it does RU. In a very short time you were proven wrong.  Says something there as well.     

Back on block you go.  Or, more aptly, Back on obturate. 

You guys got me.  I am such a Rutgers hater.  I never should have said that the B1G is the toughest conference in the country, and because the top 10 B1G teams had consistently finished top 20 in the Nation it would be very hard for a Rutgers team with no significant history of finishing that high to break into that group.

Oh, and please make sure to continue to ignore that I included Maryland in that grouping as it wouldn't help your point......

Double Oh, and please continue to ignore that I have said nothing but positive things about their staff and administration and am truly impressed with the direction they are headed.

The funny thing is, excepting OkState, Cornell and Virginia Tech, I would have said the same thing about every other non B1G team entering the B1G.  It wasn't a statement against Rutgers and Maryland as much as it was trying to clearly state how tough the B1G was at the time.

This gets even better as I went back and read through this(obviously TFBJR didn't) and I fail to see one post where I jumped on Rutgers(although others did).  My point in the post was to defend Michigan(sadly, a Spartan rarely does this).  I even said to feel free to promote Rutgers, I simply asked not to bring down Michigan in the process.  Remind me again, which team finished higher at the NCAA Tournament?

2015 B1G Results:  Michigan 4th, Rutgers 11th   2015 NCAA Results: Michigan 11th Rutgers t31(11th B1G)

2016 B1G Results:  Michigan 6th, Rutgers 5th     2016 NCAA Results: Michigan t9(tied for 5thB1G    Rutgers 15(7th B1G)

Your lack of vision and potential reflects poorly on you. If you couldn't see that the move to the big was the impetus for the Rutgers program growing into s UM type of program, that's on you.

Maryland's program/teams of 5-7 years ago would have been competitive with the teams that generally place between 6-10 in the big ten. Inexplicably the program has taken a nose dive and are battling with Michigan state for the cellar.

Maryland's program/teams of 5-7 years ago would have been competitive with the teams that generally place between 6-10 in the big ten. Inexplicably the program has taken a nose dive and are battling with Michigan state for the cellar.

I dont think it is Inexplicable----a very good coach left and the coach that took over is not nearly as good.  Gotta think he is on a very hot seat if the results do not change quickly.