Sign in to follow this  
LImartin

Dylan Palacio to Cornell

I was anxious to watch Palacio wrestle because I remember his uncle as well as an undefeated NYS champ with a win over a real tough Realbuto says alot. After I reviewed the match against the NJ champ, I found it wasn't as dominating as I had read. As a matter of fact, the NJ kid has two takedowns to none and was in a good position to win the match if he was in shape. I like Palacio's physical style but his lack of leg attacks in this match showed to be a potential weakness. He obviously will have to improve on this at the next level. Maybe Palacio's strength is on top because he did look tough there but again, it looked like Bethea thought he could hang out on bottom and finish the third. Unfortunately for him, Palacio finished the third with the pin.

The NY kid's show after the match are another thing. As much as I like the tough, physical effort he gave, I hate the nonsense and poor sportsmanship he showed after the match. Division I has a way of humbling kids like this and hopefully it works in this case.

I know him and his father for years and that kid is for sure humble, I've never been a forum poster but to see my old coaches son lied about I had to speak up. I watched the match on flo and he was taken down once the whole match and a few points should have went his way.nyour making it seem like he got lucky when your literally lying about something that is on tape....... And As for the nonsense I personally thought it was in good taste after the nj crew had so much to say before hand......... Here's the nonsense http://www.flowrestling.org/photo/70412 ... ad-image14

Kurgan, I take it you're a bit of a kook? Flip out much? Overreact much?

I have coached two of the kids on the NJ team, neither of which trained following the NJ State tourney until the Friday prior to the event (which was a Sunday). They did so to control their weight, nothing more.

To pull Adam Frey into this in some way makes YOU look pathetic, to be honest. What a ridiculous reach that was, during an even more absurd rant.

Again, everyone assumed NJ would roll right through that team, INCLUDING THE NY FANS. That's what made it such a historic upset, and why you guys are beating your chests right now.

The fact is, NJ led nearly every match, and it was obvious that conditioning was the one area the NY kids had the advantage. To that I say good for them, they clearly wanted it more. Do you know so little about the sport that you need this explained to you?

Again, I don't think most of the NJ kids realized this was such a big deal to the NY squad, and I doubt you'll see the same issue next year (when most of the NJ team will be back).

I don't want to drag this out with you but let me tell you something...you are flat out WRONG. #1 - We, in NY, are sick and tired of hearing you Jersey Shore wannabe's making excuses after excuses about why your kids lost the dual meet. "Our kids were out of shape" "Our kids didn't train after states" "Our kids didn't take the meet seriously"......wha wha wha....my goodness, my daughter doesn't cry like you guys across the river. This is reality OK. The New York State Tourney ended more than 1 week before the New Jersey State Tourney. If you can add, which I assume you can, then doesn't that mean that the NY kids had a longer time off between their state tournement and the NY/NJ dual meet? Since the NJ kids were wrestling longer and closer to the NY/NJ meet doesn't it make sense that the NJ kids should have been in better shape. Now according to you, wrestlers get out of wrestling shape so quickly....except in NY I guess? Since the NY kids ended their season earlier, by your own admition the NY kids should have been in poorer conditioning correct? Now if you think that the NY kids trained the hardest that they ever trained leading up to the NY/NJ meet and the NJ kids thought all they had to do is just show up then I believe you are dilusional....seriously, in need of some meds. Are you actually going to tell everyone on this board, that if Palacio got pinned in the meet by the Jersey kid, AND a NY poster, like Marty said something like "Well, Palacio didn't really try...Palacio didn't really train before the event, that you wouldn't be making fun of that statement? You would have actually given that statement merit? Or, most likely, you would have called it how it was....a BS excuse and you'd rip Palacio and "NY wrestling" for that excuse? If not, then can our wrestlers borrow that one from you for next year IF they lose to NJ? Some how I don't think you would accept that same excuse from us NY'ers. But we are suppose to accept that from YOU? Man, who do you think you are? The arrogance is mind boggling.

Now let's say the NJ team didn't take the meet seriously. Well, then doesn't that mean that they also disrespected all of the people who took the time to organize the event? Now the Jersey people actually are honoring Adam Frey and his family and if I am not mistaken, the proceeds of the event are going toward the Adam Frey foundation correct? Now let's see, you think that a NJ team, who by your own words, "Didn't take the meet seriously" actually honored the memory of the late great Adam Frey with their lack of interest or effort? You tell me that that statement is a stretch? How? Isn't the whole point of the meet to raise money for cancer in memory of Adam Frey? So are you actually going to tell me that if Adam's parents/family read what you said, that the NJ kids didn't bother to train for the meet that was in the memory of their son, a son who wrestled his a$$ off for years, that they wouldn't be offended? Well I'll tell you this buddy, you can call me a kook all day long, but if Adam Frey was my son and I read that a coach/fan stated that the kids on one side of the mat, I don't care what side, didn't bother to train for the meet that honored my late son, I would be highly offended! In fact, Adam Frey was not my son (I never met the kid) and I am highly offended by your statement. Or do you think that it is actually a noble thing, a good thing, in fact by your use of the LOL's that you have used, a funny thing? Because I don't find it noble, good, or funny.

Now I don't know any of the NJ wrestlers, but if I was any of them, I would tell you to go straight to he|| for your accusation. Now you claim to have coached two of the wrestlers from the NJ side...you claim that they hardly practiced for the event. So you were Ok with this? From your pre-event predictions on this board, I'm assuming that you may have even told those wrestlers that they probably didn't have to prepare much for the meet right? If you are even actually a coach, then shame on you pal, I wouldn't want you near one of my kids with that attitude. I want a coach to tell my kids to train their a$$ off and work as hard as possible...especially for one where I would be representing my state against a neighboring state....especially for one where the event and proceeds are going to support a charity in honor of a fellow wrestler who past away. Great role model.

I read many of the daily blog writings that Adam wrote before he past away and let me tell you, that kid was a fighter!!! By the way you talk, there isn't a kid on the NJ team that could carry Adam Frey's jock strap with the work ethic that YOU claim that they have. If you are indeed correct that theNJ team didn't even bother to try, then shame on them and I promise you this, Adam Frey is looking down on a team from his state with shame because when Adam Frey was alive and well that kid worked his tail off and no way would he have "not bothered" for any wrestling event. I am actually embarrassed that I even have to write this post right now to someone who claims to love the sport of wrestling. What you basically implied to all of us on this forum is that the NJ team has no integrity correct?

I'll end this sad writing with this.....You claim that next year NJ will not take the NY team lightly. Ok. If NY loses next year the last thing I would ever want to hear from anyone on this side of the river is "We didn't really train hard for the meet" If I personally heard any kid admit that to me I would use that as a very teachable moment and show the youngster that you never use BS excuses for a loss.

Have a good one.....

Kurgan,

I live on a small farm in NJ, and couldn't be further from the types depicted on "Jersey Shore".

The dregs "starring" on "Jersey Shore" are from New York and Connecticut.

The kids from NY clearly took this thing more seriously than NJ. I only spoke for the two kids I know personally on the team, neither trained for this. The NJ state tourney is far more demanding than the NY state tourney, so you'll have to understand that they needed a break following one of (if not the) toughest state tourneys in the country.

I made few predictions prior to the meet, but most of you (including the NY posters/fans) had NJ winning handily (why is that?).

And last but FAR from least:

You are a nutcase.

Buh bye.

Kurgan,

I live on a small farm in NJ, and couldn't be further from the types depicted on "Jersey Shore".

The kids from NY clearly took this thing more seriously than NJ. I only spoke for the two kids I know personally on the team, neither trained for this. The NJ state tourney is far more demanding than the NY state tourney, so you'll have to understand that they needed a break following one of (if not the) toughest state tourneys in the country.

I made few predictions prior to the meet, but most of you (including the NY posters/fans) had NJ winning handily (why is that?).

You are a nutcase.

Buh bye.

"Nj state tourney is far more demanding that the NY state tourney..."? No I know you are a troll. A troll on a small farm...

Kurgan,

You are a nutcase.

Buh bye.

If you look up anything that I have posted on this site from the past regarding NY vs. NJ in wrestling I have always said that as a whole - NJ is a tougher state to wrestle in. I have also stated many times that the reason for this is that there is bigger wrestling culture in NJ...always has been, so you are a deeper state. However what I have always said is that our top kids are as good as your top kids and looking at the results of the past 2 years in this NY/NJ prove just that. What you and your fellow NJ residents keep doing is discrediting the accomplishments of our wrestlers by making statements like your kids didn't even try. In fact you keep making these statements like "The NJ State Tourney is far more demanding than the NY tourney" REALLY? So what you are saying is that the NY State Tourney was a joke and that our champs didn't need a rest? LOL LOL LOL....considering that our state champs defeated your state champs I would say BS to that. Looks like you have nothing to go by except for the past perceived reputation that has been given to NJ wrestling. The reality is that when it was on the line, with NY vs. NJ with, by your own words, better wrestlers from Jersey (So you say) NY came out on top...not once, but twice. One time is a fluke....twice isn't.

You ask why NJ was favored? Because of reputation...apparently a false one. It's very similar to lacrosse. NY particularly Long Island, is the best lacrosse area in the country. We spank teams from all over, especially NJ. Now NJ has some great teams like Mountain Lakes and Coach Flynn does a great job with those kids. Mt. Lakes can hang with a lot of NY teams but the lacrosse culture is much greater in NY than NJ and THAT is why NY kicks NJ teams rear ends 90% of the time they meet. There is nothing in the water here it's just good old fashioned practice. We are much deeper than NJ in lacrosse but some of the best NJ players can def play here. Same with wrestling.

First of all, I complimented the NY kid on wrestling a very tough style. I did not criticize the kid at all for his wrestling. It was a very good match but as a spectator you are disapointed when a team comes to an All Star match and is not in shape. It is obvious that these two kids are very closely matched but the NJ kid was out of shape. That is no knock on NY because their team came ready to wrestle. I don't want to take away from the effort of Palacio because he did look very tough on top and maybe that's where he dominates.

I also agree with the posters that say that conditioning should not be an excuse for their loss. It is an important factor in wrestling and if kids are going to be considered all stars and be picked for these teams, they should have the pride to come in ready to compete. You rarely see a Dapper Dan team that is out of shape.

Now, here is the video and you guys watch the end of the match and you tell me if I'm wrong when I say I didn't like the kid's act. One picture does not tell a story.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/626955-152-lbs-match-Raamiah-Bethea-NJ-vs-Dylan-Palacio-NY

Judging from some of the crowd reaction during the match, and even the sotto voce comment from the Flo camera guy (" At the end of the day, we're at a fundraiser!"), it sounds like there was generally a chippy atmosphere there in the gym. Not that I particularly like the showboating after the match (I prefer the "act like you expected to win!" approach), but my impression was that Palacio was playing up to the crowd.

But I did like the wrestling (and thanks for the link!), and like what I see in this kid - constant pressure, had a few scoring chances that he did not quite finish on. The takedown he gave up looked like a laps in concentration to me, other than that he was very effective on his counters. Would like to see more in the way of some leg attacks, but not to worry, Koll and Co. will work on that. Overall, nice pickup for the Big Red!

First of all, I complimented the NY kid on wrestling a very tough style. I did not criticize the kid at all for his wrestling. It was a very good match but as a spectator you are disapointed when a team comes to an All Star match and is not in shape. It is obvious that these two kids are very closely matched but the NJ kid was out of shape. That is no knock on NY because their team came ready to wrestle. I don't want to take away from the effort of Palacio because he did look very tough on top and maybe that's where he dominates.

I also agree with the posters that say that conditioning should not be an excuse for their loss. It is an important factor in wrestling and if kids are going to be considered all stars and be picked for these teams, they should have the pride to come in ready to compete. You rarely see a Dapper Dan team that is out of shape.

Now, here is the video and you guys watch the end of the match and you tell me if I'm wrong when I say I didn't like the kid's act. One picture does not tell a story.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/626955-152-lbs-match-Raamiah-Bethea-NJ-vs-Dylan-Palacio-NY

I'm with you Pennsy.... looks like a solid wrestler. but the whole post match act would where thin on me if it's his usual routine.

Do we have an anti-hero in the making??

I don't know, I checked out some interviews and matches and he seems pretty humble and an excellent sport at that.

What I'm hearing is that this kid wasn't even a full time HS wrestler.

I read what they were saying on here about him, long beach program is not one to be disrespected, and for everyone to say the whole ny team was going to get shut out and Then have him pin the undefeated champ was a serious statement and he was simply saying shhhhhhh think before you speak, it was a little cocky and intense but people today are to boring out there I thought it washin good taste. Hes a good kid with a lot of potential and very humble and yes I think his brother does still play on the red bull but let's not be to quick to condemn a kid for shhhh a crowd kids father is the reason I started wrestling

Me thinks, if the shoe was on the other foot, and Bethea just celebrated like that and shh'ed the entire NY bench after pinning, you would think differently.

Depends on perspective, I guess. It definitely wasn't in good taste, but it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. He was pumped up for the moment with his emotions running high. At worst I would say it was less than sportsmanlike, but there are worse things that could be done.

I'm a big Palacio fan. Dylan is a great kid who 99.9 percent of the time, sets an excellent example for the next generation of wrestlers. Do I think he may have gotten a bit caught up in the emotion of the situation and went a tad overboard? Yes.

However, I also noticed that after the hand shake, he made it a priority to give Bethea a pat and tell him to keep his head up. For this reason, it certainly appears that was no intent to show up his opponent.

I just assume chalk it up to a kid who had a lapse of good judgement, but soon corrected the situation and did the classy thing at the end.

I can't believe that the Jersey guys on this thread even want to talk about the match. The word "shutout" was thrown around and NJ arguably had a better roster than NY mustered. And you bring it up on a thread that announces where a kid is going to college? You have no class and obviously a huge chip on your shoulders.

He was a little banged up after soccer but was hoping to compete a few weeks ago. Then, he suffered another injury. Just a little bad luck. As soon as he gets back to 100 percent you'll see him competing in opens along with the rest of the FLWC contingent.