Sign in to follow this  
Wire

NFL Draft ... former wrestlers.

We've talked about this over the years, and I wonder how many of the Draft choices this week, have a wrestling background? Back in the 70's Madden gave guys a "Second Look" if they had a wrestling background. He was one of the 1st to really put a value on that type of athletic background.

The Seahawks' Pick:

Justin Britt, OT from the Missouri Tigers football. As a senior at Lebanon (Mo.) High School he was an all-state lineman and state heavyweight wrestling champion with a 45-0 record.

The Seahawks' Pick:

Justin Britt, OT from the Missouri Tigers football. As a senior at Lebanon (Mo.) High School he was an all-state lineman and state heavyweight wrestling champion with a 45-0 record.

He's also 6 feet 6 inches tall and weighs over 300 pounds.

Halfway through the last session today a nose tackle was taken, don't remember who, and it was mentioned he was a high school state champ. There followed a whole discussion about how many of the top nose tackles were former wrestlers. Curley Culp was named and someone else. I thought they would mention Kelly Gregg, but they didn't.

James Meder, a suprise Ironman Finalist who went on to play football for D2 Ashland college, was signed by Baltimore (non guaranteed deal for an undrafted player). Meder is an interesting story who received a lot of publicity a year ago by choosing to take care of his sick girlfriend rather than train for the NFL Tryout combine.

Here's a link to a discussion including info: http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5068

We've talked about this over the years, and I wonder how many of the Draft choices this week, have a wrestling background? Back in the 70's Madden gave guys a "Second Look" if they had a wrestling background. He was one of the 1st to really put a value on that type of athletic background.

The Seahawks' Pick:

Coached against Justin Britt in High School. A great talent (and good kid) who didn't wrestle for a traditional powerhouse program. I would have really liked to see him wrestle D1 for Mizzou or anyone else. His upside was tremendous. Can't blame him for chasing NFL money. Hoping he does well for the Seahawks !!

Justin Britt Placed 6th at NHSCA Senior Nationals in 2009. He would have been a very good college HWT. He was 6'5 285 lbs. HWt that shot low singles and Road legs (Road them well I might add). He pinned most of his opponents by getting both legs in and cranking a power half.