Sign in to follow this  
ocho

Joey Davis

It was really interesting to see his comments on the All-Star match. It's weird to think that no one wanted to see an ambitious Joey Davis step up.. I'm sure that'd be great for the sport as a whole.

Great to see that someone out of a city like Compton has really made it out into the spotlight, too. There's way too much athleticism in the urban areas throughout the country for it to go to waste.

Why DII? I think he said it all when he said he likes from Dec. 13 to his birthday(12/29) as a break. He won't get that at any DI program. Good for him. He's dominating and seems to be having a decent time in college while he's at it!

Why DII? I think he said it all when he said he likes from Dec. 13 to his birthday(12/29) as a break. He won't get that at any DI program. Good for him. He's dominating and seems to be having a decent time in college while he's at it!

Try looking at Oklahoma's schedule from this past year. They didn't wrestle from December 7th to January 7th.

Edit to add: It's interesting that I mention Oklahoma. After all, Mark Cody got a fair amount of mileage out of Division II transfer Steve Fittery when he was at American.

Do you get tired of having to answer the Division I question?

Davis: No, I don't really get tired of it. I understand. A lot of people think I can be in the top four in Division I and want to see if I would be ... I want to see too. I was supposed to be in the All-Star match and wrestle David Taylor, but I couldn't make 165. I wanted to see if we could wrestle at like 170 or something, and they said no. I asked to wrestle Chris Perry. John Smith said no. I asked to wrestle Mike Evans. Tom Brands said no. Everybody was saying no to my coach. So this year I'm supposed to be in the All-Star match at 174.

The potential match ups between Perry and Evans would have been great for the sport so why would their coaches decline the match up? Im curious to hear what people think on why they declined and how the match would play out.

Im a big Davis fan but Im not sure he can hang with the Magic man but I guess you never know till you step on the mat.

Joey Davis senior year he will more than likely leave and go d1....and Im patiently waiting..

Do you get tired of having to answer the Division I question?

Davis: No, I don't really get tired of it. I understand. A lot of people think I can be in the top four in Division I and want to see if I would be ... I want to see too. I was supposed to be in the All-Star match and wrestle David Taylor, but I couldn't make 165. I wanted to see if we could wrestle at like 170 or something, and they said no. I asked to wrestle Chris Perry. John Smith said no. I asked to wrestle Mike Evans. Tom Brands said no. Everybody was saying no to my coach. So this year I'm supposed to be in the All-Star match at 174.

The potential match ups between Perry and Evans would have been great for the sport so why would their coaches decline the match up? Im curious to hear what people think on why they declined and how the match would play out.

Im a big Davis fan but Im not sure he can hang with the Magic man but I guess you never know till you step on the mat.

Joey Davis senior year he will more than likely leave and go d1....and Im patiently waiting..

I applaud the kid for doing what he felt was best for him as a student-athlete. He didn't allow other people to dictate his path and, even with his talent, Joey is able to live without the DI fame/scrutiny and perform to his potential because he is comfortable and has the support system behind him.

Here's to hoping he is able to get one of those All-Star match ups. Matt Brown/Joey Davis would be nice to see.

Will he be Marcus Levesseur v. 2.0? Nothing I read led me to believe he will leave to go DI. He sounded quite content wrestling for Notre Dame. He obviously travels to practice with the best but doesn't sound like he wants to change his wrestling schedule. In fact, he sounds like he is going to tone down his practice regimen for a bit and enjoy Basketball and Football in the offseason.

Taylor Massa cost us one of our best chances to see how Davis truly matches up with a pretty high profile DI wrestler. Massa redshirted this past season and bumped up to wrestle 174 at the MSU Open. Both Davis and Massa made it to the finals and Massa did not wrestle. I remember being excited to see the match and then pretty disappointed it didn't happen. Barring Davis somehow entering Midlands I am not sure we will see Davis tested the rest of his College (DII) career.

Nice article. Great wrestler. But if you want to see if you are among the best, then going to Midlands and missing out on some break time seems like a no-brainer.

Say's the guy sitting at a desk punching keys on a computer. :lol:

Actually ... I think his regime and plans are a refreshing note .... Not everyone lives to wrestle D1. I know quite a few guys who had a lot of fun at CC's, DII, and DIII AND, got a good education. Plus ... did I mention a LOT of fun. He sounds as though he has a plan and is sticking to it. Plus having a National Championship team as well ... It's Icing on the cake.

Let's not forget he beat NCAA All - American Tyler Wilps this past season who is a better wrestler than Massa.

I guess we get to see the real test at the all star match next season...

Wilps was definitely a top notch win for Davis. I am a huge fan of Wilps, however, saying Wilps is better than Massa is debatable to say the least. They split matches at 165 2 years ago and Massa made the R12 that year while Wilps went 1-2. Wilps had a great year this past year taking 7th being clearly the best of the rest after the "Big 6" at 174. Massa redshirted and only had 1 loss.

lets see some d1 teams take a dual with notre dame then we can see him compete

For the sake of parity within the sport, I'd like to see this, too. 99% of the time, if a DI guy is going to see someone outside of DI it's in a tournament.

One has to think that think that MDC could reasonably compete against the DI teams say which finished eighth on down. Thoughts?

That said, I really like that NAIA champions Grand View duals teams from DI and DII. The team had wins against DI Drexel U and DII Maryville (former UNO team which finished third in DII this year), while narrowly losing to Iowa State, 22-18, taking four matches in the dual. Grand View also had five guys at Midlands this year, with one placing and finishing 20th as a team. I like what their staff is doing with that team. They're good for wrestling. I'd love to see them seek out NDC and St. Cloud State from DII, Wartburg and Wisconsin-Whitewater from DIII and Northeast Oklahoma and Clackamas from NJCAA, as well as some more DI teams from the 8-25 range.

I'd love to see a Grand View vs Wartburg dual. Nick Mitchell, the head coach, is a former Wartburg wrestler and assistant so I hope it is in the future.

I doubt you see ISU schedule Grand View again. Grand View had a 133lb wrestler miss weight by .4 or .6 (can't quite remember) and that wrestler would've stomped whoever ISU put out at 133 and won GVU the dual.

lets see some d1 teams take a dual with notre dame then we can see him compete

NDC did have a dual against Ohio State last year. Joey Davis 10-4 over Mark Martin.

But, outside of the Davis win I believe OSU won the rest of the matches. NDC would do well though against the lower tier D1 schools.

Let's not forget he beat NCAA All - American Tyler Wilps this past season who is a better wrestler than Massa.

Wilps was definitely a top notch win for Davis. I am a huge fan of Wilps, however, saying Wilps is better than Massa is debatable to say the least. They split matches at 165 2 years ago and Massa made the R12 that year while Wilps went 1-2. Wilps had a great year this past year taking 7th being clearly the best of the rest after the "Big 6" at 174. Massa redshirted and only had 1 loss.

In my opinion, if Massa is gonna have the type of success that would put him at a Wilps/AA level this coming season, he'll have to find a way to replace all the easy points he earned on top with the neck bow (now illegal)

In my opinion, if Massa is gonna have the type of success that would put him at a Wilps/AA like level this coming season, he'll have to find a way to replace all the easy points he earned on top with the neck bow (now illegal)

Coaches only have 16 dates to build up a D1 wrestler's resume for the qualification process, wasting time with D2 duals is not a thing most D1 coaches are going to do.

Good point, but a few of those dates might be triple duals and could accommodate an opponent that is tougher than more than half the DI teams currently out there. I have to think it has more to do with opponent quality than it had to of with DI vs. DII, etc.

I would love to see more teams start off with inter-divisional duals and them move on to their normal schedule of non-conference and conference duals.

This is kind of in keeping with what a lot of FBS football teams have done with FCS teams. I would like to see every D1 team open up with duals against teams outside of D1 as a warm-up to the season. Every Division-I team could have a winning record going into December.

Some duals I wouldn't mind seeing regularly on the schedules:

Wartburg vs Northern Iowa

St Cloud State vs Minnesota

Agustana vs South Dakota State

Grand View vs Iowa State

Davidson vs Washington & Lee

Sacred Heart vs NYU

Multi dual kick off events (similar to the Iowa City Duals) would be good for a lot of teams too. West Virginia hosting all of the West Virginia college wrestling schools would be a good warm up and could bring a lot of the state's wrestling community together to kick off the season.

I would love to see more teams start off with inter-divisional duals and them move on to their normal schedule of non-conference and conference duals.

This is kind of in keeping with what a lot of FBS football teams have done with FCS teams. I would like to see every D1 team open up with duals against teams outside of D1 as a warm-up to the season. Every Division-I team could have a winning record going into December.

Some duals I wouldn't mind seeing regularly on the schedules:

Wartburg vs Northern Iowa

St Cloud State vs Minnesota

Agustana vs South Dakota State

Grand View vs Iowa State

Davidson vs Washington & Lee

Sacred Heart vs NYU

Multi dual kick off events (similar to the Iowa City Duals) would be good for a lot of teams too. West Virginia hosting all of the West Virginia college wrestling schools would be a good warm up and could bring a lot of the state's wrestling community together to kick off the season.

Do you think a lot of teams shy away from this in order to avoid future issues with recruiting and perception of the strength of the program in the higher division?

Northwestern starts off their season not unlike what you referenced. (This year they hosted DIII U Chicago and Stevens Tech)

To compliment your list I'd like to see some of the following:

Missouri vs. Maryville

Northern Illinois vs. McKendree

Southern Illinois vs. Lindenwood

UT Chattanooga vs. Ouachita Baptist

Indiana vs. Indianapolis

Clackamas vs. Oregon State (Clackamas is loading this spring for next season)

Too many others to mention

I think programs don't schedule because there is no incentive. Too many coaches only think about the individual qualifier system since that is how their national performance will be judged. Matches outside of D1 do not count toward qualifying so there is no reason to have them. Often the only reason teams will attend opens with non-D1 athletes is because they are using them as a way to gage their lineup and giving a second look to the team outside of wrestle-offs.

If we go to a dual post season, I would like to see non-D1 duals to be able to count against the minimum number of duals. Similar to FBS teams that are allowed one FCS game to count toward bowl qualification in football. I wouldn't mind a 12 dual minimum with two duals being able to count that are not D1. That shouldn't be a problem for any team.

As for the duals you listed, I have often thought SIUE and Lindenwood would be a good one to regularly have on the schedule.