Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Actually, Brian Greene may have slightly stronger Physics research credentials. He was also a HS wrestler in NYC, but I think ran XC at Harvard.

But NsGT is probably more well known generally. Anyone know his record, he does not a[[ear to have ever been entered at EIWA,

In any case he is a clear asset to our sport

Without a doubt... amazing!

Hes one of the brightest minds alive right now up there with Stephen Hawking.

Had no idea he was a wrestler.

Don't go crazy. He is an entertainer, before an innovator. Not saying he isn't a bright individual.

The thing I love about Neil is that despite being a super-genius, with numerous doctorates and accolades, he is still a very humble person. That is such a rare combination today. It seems like as soon as somebody gets that "Dr." behind their name, and gain some notoriety, they are just too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace, without trying to make people feel dumb. Neil is not too good to come out to a wrestling event, and mention that he wasn't very good, even though he wrestled for a college D1 team, which is farther than a lot of us have made it. That is humility. That is why he is so popular.

The thing I love about Neil is that despite being a super-genius, with numerous doctorates and accolades, he is still a very humble person. That is such a rare combination today. It seems like as soon as somebody gets that "Dr." behind their name, and gain some notoriety, they are just too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace, without trying to make people feel dumb. Neil is not too good to come out to a wrestling event, and mention that he wasn't very good, even though he wrestled for a college D1 team, which is farther than a lot of us have made it. That is humility. That is why he is so popular.

I don't see people getting 'too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace' simply because they have a more extensive education. Furthermore, I don't think Tyson is humble in his profession. He regularly likes to correct people and media when he thinks they are wrong about a subject in his field. He is a huge self promoter which is the only reason anyone even knows about him as an astrophysicist.

He is a science communicator and just like Bill Nye and is primarily an entertainer that has worked to educate people and seems to have done well at introducing people to new theories and concepts.

There are a lot of educated people that are approachable and have the qualities you described, though you probably don't hear about them because they are humble.

What a great clip. I love Cosmos, especially how they use animation as a way to explain some of the more complex theories and experiments. Who knew that Seth McFarland could go from Family Guy to Cosmos?

It is very healthy to have men of this caliber advocating for the world's oldest & greatest. "We don't wrestle because it is easy, we do it because it is hard."

Pinnum, I said once they get that "Dr" behind their name, AND gain some notoriety....as in start writing books. I was not talking about your run of the mill educated person. I'm talking about the people who are the leading scientists in their field.

Pinnum, I said once they get that "Dr" behind their name, AND gain some notoriety....as in start writing books. I was not talking about your run of the mill educated person. I'm talking about the people who are the leading scientists in their field.

I realize that. And I am saying that I do not find that to be the case.

I am not even sure Tyson would qualify as a leading scientist in his field. Kavli nominees would, no doubt, be leaders in the field. Tyson is very well known, due to his role as a science communicator, but Tyson is more like Steven Levitt who is also very well known but in spite of his fame few people would call Levitt a leading Economist.

Don't go crazy. He is an entertainer, before an innovator. Not saying he isn't a bright individual.

In what way? He's a well-regarded astrophysicist, well-regarded author on the subject, and in the early to mid-1990s Tyson was committed to research which helped improve the understanding of the expanding universe.

I don't think 99% of the people who know who he is today had heard of him before the last five to eight years when he began hosting Nova ScienceNow. The media picked up on him because of his background and success in his field.

He took an unusual, and tough path to becoming an entertainer (sarcasm).

How many other "entertainers" have a similar curriculum vitea?

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/profile

He took an unusual, and tough path to becoming an entertainer (sarcasm).

How many other "entertainers" have a similar curriculum vitea?

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/profile

He studied what he enjoyed. A lot of people do that and then move into another area and some become entertainers.

How about Ken Jeong? He is a Medical Doctor who attended Duke and UNC. In fact he was still treating patients even after the release of the movie 'knocked up' because he didn't think he could make it financially as an actor. Some people would argue that he also took an unusual path to becoming an actor known for jumping out of the trunk of a car naked in 'The hangover'

In what way? He's a well-regarded astrophysicist, well-regarded author on the subject, and in the early to mid-1990s Tyson was committed to research which helped improve the understanding of the expanding universe.

I don't think 99% of the people who know who he is today had heard of him before the last five to eight years when he began hosting Nova ScienceNow. The media picked up on him because of his background and success in his field.

Pinnum has the better understanding here. NDGT is a well regarded science communicator. He has an an appointment to the hayden planetarium, not a faculty research position, and his impact is pretty much only in his awesome ability to communicate astrophysics to the general public. He is not one of the "great minds of our generation" as some in this thread like to put it, but he is extremely valuable and important to the scientific community in his ability to foster broad interest in research and discovery. This value can't be understated, as there are many scientists focused on their own groundbreaking work, but few characters as likeable as Tyson.

Neil is one smart dude! Congrats! That being said, not sure he is any smarter than me,or that his contributions to humanity are more far reaching than mine. Check out my video which was revised and updated today. I wrestled for Northwestern and started as a true frosh when I lettered. I received a scholarship for a PhD to Penn 25 years ago. Didn't finish as I was robbed three times in Philly. Anyone wants a free copy of my teen or adult book,please email me at bmoylan111@yahoo.com. I am licensed to train over a dozen mental health and medical professions by over a dozen state boards. My work is the best available worldwide for sports psychology and can tell you Tom Brands can use it! Lol

Here is my Emotional Core Therapy video which was revised on May 16th,2014. This video proves ECT is the simplest and most effective psychology approach available worldwide to treat most relationship stress including addictions, depression,anxiety,anger, eating disorders,marital therapy,etc.

CEU training.

DeGrasse Tyson is doing great good in promoting the sciences much like Michio Kaku is doing - and the fact he was a former wrestler is an added plus for the sport. And yeah I agree both DeGrasse Tyson and Kaku are mainly entertainers but their current contributions should not undermine their earlier work. Neither are in the realm of Hawking in my opinion.

But Smokeyjoe the topic is Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Finding self happiness in one's own contributions in life is the cornerstone of self esteem not any need for gratuitous validation and attention from others. What on earth triggered such a self-serving, self-promoting post? Feel free to PM me as this is off-topic. It's just your post was an eye-popper.

Any contribution to humanity will be measured by how many lives it impacts! Watch the video. My video and work can impact millions!

As opposed to the tens, even hundreds of millions these two are able to reach/educate/inspire by being in the public's eye?

What some call entertainers, others call science educators. Einstein, Fermi, Openheimer, Feynman, Hawkins, Dyson, etc all are known because of particularly notable scientific achievement, that enabled their rise in the public consciousness. Most exploited this for both their, and their desire to advance scientific inquiry's benefit. Kaku (co founder of string field theory, among other things) and Tyson (twice appointed to presidential commissions setting national and NASA policy and agenda) are no different than Hawking in using their "name" in a public way.