Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Neil DeGrasse Tyson

The thing I love about Neil is that despite being a super-genius, with numerous doctorates and accolades, he is still a very humble person. That is such a rare combination today. It seems like as soon as somebody gets that "Dr." behind their name, and gain some notoriety, they are just too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace, without trying to make people feel dumb. Neil is not too good to come out to a wrestling event, and mention that he wasn't very good, even though he wrestled for a college D1 team, which is farther than a lot of us have made it. That is humility. That is why he is so popular.

I don't see people getting 'too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace' simply because they have a more extensive education. Furthermore, I don't think Tyson is humble in his profession. He regularly likes to correct people and media when he thinks they are wrong about a subject in his field. He is a huge self promoter which is the only reason anyone even knows about him as an astrophysicist.

He is a science communicator and just like Bill Nye and is primarily an entertainer that has worked to educate people and seems to have done well at introducing people to new theories and concepts.

There are a lot of educated people that are approachable and have the qualities you described, though you probably don't hear about them because they are humble.

Saying Tyson is a science communicator is like saying Eistein was a coffee maker because he had an elaborate process to make coffee? Tyson is a well known "Astro Physicist" who knows how to explain Science concepts to the laymen. It's not like he's an entertainer reading a book. He's a Doctor in Astrophysics who has the ability to have a conversation with those not as versed. Please give credit where credit is due.

The thing I love about Neil is that despite being a super-genius, with numerous doctorates and accolades, he is still a very humble person. That is such a rare combination today. It seems like as soon as somebody gets that "Dr." behind their name, and gain some notoriety, they are just too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace, without trying to make people feel dumb. Neil is not too good to come out to a wrestling event, and mention that he wasn't very good, even though he wrestled for a college D1 team, which is farther than a lot of us have made it. That is humility. That is why he is so popular.

I don't see people getting 'too good to mix and mingle with the regular populace' simply because they have a more extensive education. Furthermore, I don't think Tyson is humble in his profession. He regularly likes to correct people and media when he thinks they are wrong about a subject in his field. He is a huge self promoter which is the only reason anyone even knows about him as an astrophysicist.

He is a science communicator and just like Bill Nye and is primarily an entertainer that has worked to educate people and seems to have done well at introducing people to new theories and concepts.

There are a lot of educated people that are approachable and have the qualities you described, though you probably don't hear about them because they are humble.

Saying Tyson is a science communicator is like saying Eistein was a coffee maker because he had an elaborate process to make coffee? Tyson is a well known "Astro Physicist" who knows how to explain Science concepts to the laymen. It's not like he's an entertainer reading a book. He's a Doctor in Astrophysics who has the ability to have a conversation with those not as versed. Please give credit where credit is due.

I suggest you read up on his accomplishments and numerous awards and positions held in his field.

I suggest you read up on his accomplishments and numerous awards and positions held in his field.

Tyson's greatest contribution to the field has been in the way of marketing and PR which has enabled others to have the ability to conduct research through an increase in funding. I am well aware of his contributions and awards. If you look at the criteria for his awards they are almost exclusively due to creating public awareness in the sciences. Additionally, many of the committees he has sat on has been a result of his ability as a science communicator and not due to his research credentials.

Neil Tyson's Advice to Young Science Communicators http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2011/03/01/neil-tysons-advice-to-young-science-communicators/

Great topic! I stand firm in my belief that my work will contribute more to humanity than Neil's! My work is original and I have a federal copyright on it. In 2014, my book for adults was the top rated book on Amazon under two categories, Emotions and mental health. I have developed the simplest and most effective psychology approach for the treatment of most relationship stress including addictions, depression,anxiety,anger,eating disorders,etc. Here are a couple links. Both Ryan Lang and Jake Herbert have endorsed my book on Amazon,among notable athletes.

http://www.easyceu.com/emotional-mental ... re-therapy

See CEU availability here in link below.

http://www.naperprinting.com/upload/aaa ... 20Card.pdf

I would like to mention that I am not meaning to belittle Tyson's contributions. He has been very valuable to the field. But his contributions are more like that of a high performing sales rep who drums up a lot of business for an organization. As many of you know, sales is the lifeblood of any organization and without Tyson's efforts we could have more talented individuals on the brink of a breakthrough ending up like Douglas Prasher.

All of this cracks me up. Folks on this board will debate anything. I could give a $hit less whether Tyson is a stronger researcher, communicator, or entertainer. What I do know is (1) he is likely smarter than anyone on this board (2) he is likely more successful than 99% of the members of this board (DF being the exception) and (3) he likely can kick the a$$ of 95% of the members of this board, by merit of being a former D1 190 pounder.

Doing some math on this, statements (1) + (2) + (3) = Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the Man.

If anyone has an interest, his 'Star Talk' radio show is great and worth checking out. It's a fun show that is accessible/understandable for a dumba$$ like myself who has an interest in all things 'Universe'.

I would like to mention that I am not meaning to belittle Tyson's contributions. He has been very valuable to the field. But his contributions are more like that of a high performing sales rep who drums up a lot of business for an organization. As many of you know, sales is the lifeblood of any organization and without Tyson's efforts we could have more talented individuals on the brink of a breakthrough ending up like Douglas Prasher.

I almost didn't google Prasher bc I figured this was just some name dropping but since you usually know what you're talking about Pinnum I thought I would give it a look to find out who you were talking about. What a crazy story it would suck to be him. I can't imagine being as humble and cool about it as he was. http://discovermagazine.com/2011/apr/30 ... sher-nobel

All of this cracks me up. Folks on this board will debate anything. I could give a $hit less whether Tyson is a stronger researcher, communicator, or entertainer. What I do know is (1) he is likely smarter than anyone on this board (2) he is likely more successful than 99% of the members of this board (DF being the exception) and (3) he likely can kick the a$$ of 95% of the members of this board, by merit of being a former D1 190 pounder.

Doing some math on this, statements (1) + (2) + (3) = Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the Man.

If anyone has an interest, his 'Star Talk' radio show is great and worth checking out. It's a fun show that is accessible/understandable for a dumba$$ like myself who has an interest in all things 'Universe'.

Where is the like button when you need it?

This is old news. You guys need to get out more. There is more to life than ESPN.

Yes, Neil DeGrasse Tyson IS a fabulous spokesman for astronomy and physics, and also a great guy. He wrestled for Harvard, and was a Latin ballroom dancing champ as well. Not every wrestler lives in Happy Valley, Iowa City, or Stillwater, or wants to. Welcome to 2014.

Don't go crazy. He is an entertainer, before an innovator. Not saying he isn't a bright individual.

In what way? He's a well-regarded astrophysicist, well-regarded author on the subject, and in the early to mid-1990s Tyson was committed to research which helped improve the understanding of the expanding universe.

I don't think 99% of the people who know who he is today had heard of him before the last five to eight years when he began hosting Nova ScienceNow. The media picked up on him because of his background and success in his field.

Pinnum has the better understanding here. NDGT is a well regarded science communicator. He has an an appointment to the hayden planetarium, not a faculty research position, and his impact is pretty much only in his awesome ability to communicate astrophysics to the general public. He is not one of the "great minds of our generation" as some in this thread like to put it, but he is extremely valuable and important to the scientific community in his ability to foster broad interest in research and discovery. This value can't be understated, as there are many scientists focused on their own groundbreaking work, but few characters as likeable as Tyson.

No, Pinnum and BH underestimate Tyson's influence. Yes, he primarily promotes astronomy and science these days, but he has held important positions in astronomy over the years, influencing the debate over issues in ways that support data over tradition (e.g. Pluto). No, he hasn't won a Kavli or Nobel prize, but he has been WAY more than just an entertainer. I know because I've worked in astronomy publishing for almost 19 years.

I would compare him more to Bernstein than Stravinsky; he is a extremely bright person who CHOOSES to share his knowledge with the rest of us in ways we can understand. I am proud to have a former NCAA wrestler in his position, and you should be too.