Sign in to follow this  
teach

Off Season

If you were coaching a kid, or are a parent, what would you say is the single most important thing for them to do in the off season? Lift weights, wrestle, go to camps, work on speed, relax, cross train?

Depends on the age of the wrestler. But I would say pre high-school: one or two camps and a few tournaments so that he can get some technique training and more on the mat experience. But absolutely not cut weight. I would stress how much fun the sport is while he is summer training.

In high school, I would say lift weights hard, wrestle in numerous tournaments, go to at least two camps with one being an intensive camp. And little to no cutting weight (I.e., cut weight for Fargo but nothing else). And I would have the wrestler focus on any weaknesses in light, non-intense, technique-focused practices twice a week or so. But, again keep it fun and not push too hard as to burn him out.

No cutting weight. At all. That's a first!

I think in wrestling, with the season being so drawn out, it's important to get a lot of progress done in the off-season, but in a fun manner. Camps are always fun (bit pricey, but worth it - especially with a team). High school and college guys usually love getting in the weight room, but make sure not to overwork any muscle groups.

I feel like every wrestler has a different off-season regimen. Chance Marstellar and Joey Davis are two names that come to mind for wrestlers who took the off-season off and still wreck everything in their way. Others like to practice 5 days a week still, if not more. I'm gonna be coaching HS/MS kids all summer, having my intense workouts at night with other college wrestlers. It's all a matter of preference - what's fun for the kid.

I'd definitely suggest local tournaments, and Fargo/National Duals if you can afford it. Besides cutting weight at National Duals, those have to be the best memories of my wrestling life. Local tournaments are fun and lighthearted, and still give you plenty to learn and give you something to gauge progress by.