Sign in to follow this  
DF

Let me tell you something right now for your own good

You all dreamed of being an olympic champ.

We all did.

Everybody who ever laced up a pair of wrestling shoes wanted it at some point.

We daydreamed about standing atop that podium.

None of you made it.

Somewhere along the line you gave up on the dream.

For most of you it was when you realized you weren't even good enough to win a simple state championship.

For others it was when you thought you could parlay your awesome high school skills to college or freestyle wrestling, only to get trounced in college by some cornfed wrestler from the midwest and his farmer strength or in freestyle by some skinnyfat European wrestler.

Even though you've given up most of you still haven't realized it wasn't worth it anyway.

Somewhere deep in your soul you still yearn for that glory.

Well I'm here to tell you that you didn't lose out on much.

Wrestling gold is as good as a lump of coal in the real world.

On the International forum they're making fun of the only wrestler to defeat the undefeatable Russian because he has gained a bunch of weight and because he's not a good play-by-play announcer.

These would be your "fans" if you hadn't quit and dedicated yourself to olympic gold.

This is why it saddens me when any wrestler past his mid-20s is still trying for gold.

He probably won't make it.

Even if he does it's a pyrrhic victory (look it up).

Maybe in other countries it's worth it because they're treated like royalty if they win gold (heck even if they get bronze).

But not here.

Here a gold medalist is still required to stand in line to buy a ticket to watch a meaningless high school match.

Or he's criticized for not winning more than one gold medal.

And you might as well not have bothered if you won silver or bronze because those don't even register in our society.

Doug Blubaugh had a great story about returning to his hometown in Oklahoma after winning the gold medal in the 1960 Rome Olympics. For those of you that don't know, he beat Habibi, who was an Iranian legend and (I believe) had never lost a match.

Doug was on the Olympic team with his high school and college teammate Shelby Wilson, who also took gold. Doug said they were expecting a parade and a large welcoming party at the airport, and things like that. But, when they got home, there was no welcoming party at the airport, no parade, and everyone asked him where he had been. He told them he had been in Rome wrestling at the Olympics.

They asked him how he did. He told them he won gold, and that Shelby also won gold. They said "That's great! Now, there's work to be done on the farm."

My father-in-law won the Minnesota state wrestling championship in 1948, and when he was dropped off about midnight...walked in a blizzard a mile or two to get home. And it was no big deal.

Love the Shelby Wilson/Doug Blubaugh stories!

My father-in-law won the Minnesota state wrestling championship in 1948, and when he was dropped off about midnight...walked in a blizzard a mile or two to get home. And it was no big deal.

Love the Shelby Wilson/Doug Blubaugh stories!

Uphill, both ways, in knee deep snow?

I once heard Ben Peterson talk before a youth tournament. He passed his gold medal around for all the kids to see. A parent asked if he was afraid he would lose it. He basically said the medal meant nothing, winning it did.

I once heard Ben Peterson talk before a youth tournament. He passed his gold medal around for all the kids to see. A parent asked if he was afraid he would lose it. He basically said the medal meant nothing, winning it did.

I saw the same thing from Ben. He asked who wanted to see it and the kids raised their hands. Ben literally tossed it on the mat in front of them and nonchalantly said, "make sure I get it back when you're done." Every adult in the room had eyes as big as the moon when he did that, even one of the guys who knew Ben for years and had wrestled in the '84 Olympics, but didn't place.

Beyond that, a post like this one is why I think DF is valuable to this forum. From time to time he turns a mirror onto this community, but a lot of guys are too afraid to look at it for what it truly is.

Beyond that, a post like this one is why I think DF is valuable to this forum. From time to time he turns a mirror onto this community, but a lot of guys are too afraid to look at it for what it truly is.

Some of you give DelTrollo way too much credit. Anyone who claims winning Oly gold isn't that big of a deal is trolling hard.

Some of you give DelTrollo way too much credit. Anyone who claims winning Oly gold isn't that big of a deal is trolling hard.

If you were in the same room as DF, he would be pointing at you counting near fall points from across the room.