Sign in to follow this  
meloserio

World Team Trials Predictions

Now that the qualifiers are set, shall we make predictions for WTT? I'll start with 57 kg, I think Escobedo is the only one with a realistic shot of knocking off Hazewinkel. That is, however, pending his full recovery from the knee injury he suffered at the Open against Zach Sanders. Graff could be interesting, he's more of a career freestyler than folkstyle guy, and he'll be big for the weight. Obe Blanc and Nick Simmons could make some noise, but I think they are past their primes at this point and lost the competitive fire necessary to win a tournament like WTT.

I'll predict all #1's, the odds are so stacked in their favor (in addition to usually being the best guy). Nit sure about 86, I'm still a Foster fan but he's 0-4 vs Gavin now and the way he lost that last match was ugly. Ruth maybe? Seems to keep improving.

There are reasons the #1 guy is the #1 guy. They're almost always the best at the weight. When Burroughs beats Taylor, again, it won't be for any reason other than, JB is just better. Period.

Our team will be:

Haze 5th

Kennedy Bronze

Metcalf Bronze

Marable-....Maybe Taylor.. Maybe Gold

Burroughs Gold

Ruth ? Not sure but Maybe Gold

Varner Silver/Bronze. This weight is amazing!

Tervel Bronze

This team could win it!

Well, hopefully we get the right guys in the line up. Haze will probably be the guy at 57kg. Since Escobedo may be out due to his injury. Haze is real good domestically but he has down very little internationally. So I don't think he will do much.

At 61 Kg. It will be Kennedy or Humpreys. I am looking forward to this weight class. I hope Kennedy makes it and is able to medal.

At 65kg. It's probably going to be Metcalf, but a guy who I believe has a very good chance internationally is Oliver. I don't know if he will make it but I like the way he wrestles the international guys. If Metcalf is our guy, I hope that he medals, just so he can get the monkey off his back. I believe he is capable of medaling.

At 70 I believe it'll be Marable. How well can he do? Well if he can get his weight down and under control where he feels good, and can wrestle like he did a 74kg. I think he has a very good chance. Especially since this is a new weight class.

At 74kg. Burroughs & Gold.

At 86kg. It'll probably be Gavin but I think that'll be unfortunate because I just don't think he'll get it done internationally. Hopefully it'll be Foster or Ruth. I think either will make a deeper run into the tourney.

At 97kg. I hope it's Varner, I have no faith in Bergman. Varner will medal, Bergman will do what he always does internationally which isn't much.

At Hwt. It'll be Dlagnev, and hopefully he medals this year.

I'll go with all # 1's as well, not because of odds but because of they are the best at the weight IMO, except for 86kg.

At 86kg I think the winner of Foster/Ruth will beat out Gavin. If I had to choose one I guess I would go with Foster, but him and Ruth are just so close. Perhaps this prediction is a little bit wishful thinking, because I know Foster (and probably Ruth for that matter, although he is unproven internationally) would do better at Worlds against international competition, than Gavin.

From the challenge tournament, I'm picking Foster, simmons and Michalak to win spots on team

Maybe Foster can get by Gavin, I hope so because I think he has a better chance against the international guys. I haven't heard any news on Simmons, but hopefully he can get down to weight and compete. As far as Michalak is concerned, I doubt he'll win 2 out of 3 against Varner. Also I believe Varner has a greater upside against the international guys than Michalak.

My take on Foster vs Gavin: tough matchup for Foster because he lives to shoot in on deep doubles, and counter offended when people shoot his lead leg. Gavin is too short to get under easily, and too smart/technical to take bad shots himself. Foster might also have a mental block going or something; the way he gave up that lead to Gavin's improvised moves was ugly on his part ( though sweet for Gavin). I've become a huge Foster fan but he needs to change things up here. Of course, Ruth or Reader could also make the finals.

From the challenge tournament, I'm picking Foster, simmons and Michalak to win spots on team

In the US, no one is beating Varner...The guy is a man-mountain with cat-like reflexes....No change.

Is 70kg too much of a drop for Taylor?

Taylor has said he is only focusing on 74kg. I am very curious to see how they do the seeding for the challenge tournament. Will track be releasing a list of registered wrestlers? Escobedo and Dake both qualified, but it is my understanding Dake is out for sure and Esco probably won't be 100%.

Haze- Esco placed 5th last year, but seems to be hurt.

Kennedy- He's doing well lately.

Metcalf- He's doing well lately, but the Yarygin 10th place finish has me worried.

Marable- Beat Burroughs. Won the US Open. Don't know much else.

The Champ

Gavin- He seems to have Foster's number. Ruth probably won't get past both Foster and Gavin.

Varner- This weight is his if he wants it.

Dlagnev- He's been top-five in the world for a number of years now.

Ya'll haven't forgotten that the tweener weights (non-Olympic weights) will be wrestled at Fargo right? And people may drop down or bump up if they didn't make the team in one of the main six weights.

WTT in Madison will be:

Sat: 57 KG, 97 KG and 125 KG

Sun: 65 KG, 74 KG and 86 KG

WTT in Fargo will be

61kg and 70kg

Adjust predictions as necessary. Would Taylor drop to 70kg to make a world team and get the experience?

Taylor has said he is only focusing on 74kg. I am very curious to see how they do the seeding for the challenge tournament. Will track be releasing a list of registered wrestlers? Escobedo and Dake both qualified, but it is my understanding Dake is out for sure and Esco probably won't be 100%.

I'm pretty sure they follow the placing at US open, (minus the champion) and seed them how they finished.