Sign in to follow this  
meloserio

World Team Trials Predictions

I actually think its better for USA wrestling for Taylor to go to Worlds than Burroughs.

I know its not a popular opinion, but IMO, if Burroughs goes, he will not win gold at the worlds. IMO, he will lose to Tsargush or Geduev, whoever of the 2 goes. JB's game has become too predictable somehow, Taylor imo will do very well at Worlds, he is long, super technical and paces himself more and is less known internationally so harder to prepare for.

I actually think its better for USA wrestling for Taylor to go to Worlds than Burroughs.

I know its not a popular opinion, but IMO, if Burroughs goes, he will not win gold at the worlds. IMO, he will lose to Tsargush or Geduev, whoever of the 2 goes. JB's game has become too predictable somehow, Taylor imo will do very well at Worlds, he is long, super technical and paces himself more and is less known internationally so harder to prepare for.

Tsargush didn't have much trouble preparing for Taylor the first time they wrestled

I have no doubt that Taylor will someday get past Burroughs, but as of right now, Burroughs is king of the mountain. Maybe there is some merit to Burroughs being somewhat predictable with his game plan but Burroughs is amazingly quick, strong, and his shots from either standing or his knees has brought him his success, and confounded his opponents. Maybe some guy from another country will catch him in a particular match, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. As far as Taylor goes it would be nice to see him go to the Worlds, and I think if he did, he could probably medal this year. But the fact remains Burroughs has clobbered pretty much everybody the World has thrown at him, and even though Taylor gave him a run for his money at the Open, I believe Burroughs will prevail in the trials.

I know we have the list of qualifiers, but does anyone know when the list of actual participants will be released? Obe Blanc and Kyle Dake are ones that stick out that are on the qualifiers list but won't be competing. I know brackets won't be released until after everyone weighs in.

This exact senario happened to World and Olympic Champ Kevin Jackson and Les Gutches. NObody thought Jackson could lose the spot in the US. Gutches lost like 6 in a row in 94 and 95 and in 96 beat Jackson three times. People were calling to send Jackson to the Olympics anyway. Gutches would win two bronze and a Gold the next 4 years. I am one that thinks Taylors learning curve is off the charts and by next year Burroughs will be replaced by Taylor. It will not matter if Dake comes back or not. But this year Burroughs will prevail and win his 4th title to put himself in elite company. He then will go MMA.

All the open winners minus Gavin. Put Ruth in at 189!

if Taylor beats JB two out of three then he should get the spot. i'd give Burroughs pretty healthy odds to be the rep. as for what happens in 2015 and 2016, my money is still on either a healthy Dake or JB, as they both have pretty impressive learning curves, but we'll see. should be fun.

PRyan, are you saying you think Dake is irrelevant in the coming years against Taylor? If so, you do realize Taylor has lost close to 10 matches to him and hasn't won even once? Why do you think Taylor is better/won't be troubled by Kyle Dake? I'm not saying Taylor won't be our guy, but to say Dake is out of the picture is pretty stupid.

Also, Burroughs has said he won't do MMA and will move into coaching wrestling once he's done with his international career.

Tsargush didn't have much trouble preparing for Taylor the first time they wrestled

And Tsargush had been wrestling free his entire life while Taylor had been wrestling free for like 15 minutes. An obvious exaggeration, but you get the point.

Hazewinkel

Scott

Metcalf

Burroughs

Ruth

Varner

Dlagnev

I am revising my predictions now that I know the East Lansing Strangler is entering the fray.

I predict Simmons will win at 57 kg. My other picks are unchanged.

I am not just picking Simmons, I am also rooting for him. You have to respect a guy who sticks it out as long as he has, win or lose, making one of the most brutal cuts ever throughout the long process. Simmons is one of the toughest SOBs in the sport. He has been on the cusp of world greatness for a long time, and I think the extra 2 kg will be better for him than anyone else at the weight. He is a little older but still not old, and the time off was probably good for his body. He is our best shot at a world medal at 57 kg.

If Simmons is back to his old self, (and hopefully even somewhat better), I think he has a decent shot at making the team. Hazewinkle is a beast, but I believe that Simmons has a greater upside against the international guys.

Simmons has a greater upside against the international guys.

Hopefully Simmons can get past Haze, because Simmons has done much better internationally. Does the weight change help or hurt Simmons? He doesn't have to cut so hard, but he loses some of his ridiculous size advantage.

Also, Burroughs has said he won't do MMA and will move into coaching wrestling once he's done with his international career.

Things can change. I also expect Burroughs to transition to MMA after his wrestling career.

And Tsargush had been wrestling free his entire life while Taylor had been wrestling free for like 15 minutes. An obvious exaggeration, but you get the point.

how many more minutes of freestyle has Dake wrestled than Taylor?

The Dake v Taylor freestyle series doesn't count on Taylor's freestyle record, because Taylor was still in college and Dake was wrestling freestyle full-time.

Simmons is more dangerous than Haze because of his unorthodox style but mist if the time he loses against the best guys. His worlds run was much like Escobedos; beat the weaker opponents, lose to the stronger and finish 5th.

Burroughs has been pretty adamant he's not doing MMA. He's said he wants to use his prone years seeking greatness in wrestling and that the violence in MMA is not for him (im paraphrasing don't remember exact quotes). He also is a pretty devoted family man I would guess his wife would prefer he doesn't fight also.

Simmons or Hazewinkle, Simmons had a great run in 2011, hopefully he is at or above where he was then. It is true he needs to figure out how to deal with some of these top level guys like Iran, or, Russia. Hazewinkle on the other hand is great domestically, but hasn't been able to translate that into international success, (not sure why). Either way if it's Haze, or Simmons, or someone else, best of luck.