Sign in to follow this  
DF

It's not impressive if you were raised for wrestling success

If you're rich like me then you probably spend a lot of time around other rich people.

If you do then you know almost all rich people like you are raised in a similar manner.

You're expected to go to a top-ranked university, you are expected to attend certain functions where you are expected to make certain connections that lead to certain career prospects, etc, etc.

Very predictable and script-like in consistency.

It is expected and we are put on that path to ensure success.

Same thing applies to guys who are basically bred to be awesome wrestlers.

Coached by dad/uncle, has the funds and means to go to every post-season and off-season tournament and camp, lives and breathes wrestling, etc, etc.

Not all that impressive when he ends up a state or NCAA champ.

It's expected.

But guys who came out of nowhere (Mark Munoz from ?Vallejo?...what?) who started wrestling as a sophomore and won state titles in one of the toughest wrestling states against guys who were bred to wrestle from day 1 and then win an NCAA title to boot.

THAT'S impressive.

THOSE guys have a legit reason to jump into their coaches arms when winning a state title.

Not you Mr. My-Dad-Is-Also-My-High-School-Wrestling-Coach-And-My-Older-Brother-Also-Won-State.

Nobody's impressed at that. So save the over-dramatic and hysterical celebration.

It's like a rich kid being impressed with himself for becoming a rich adult.

DF - Regarding your male parent, when (actually, if) you're brought up by others to him, does he refer to you as "His" son or as to him being "your" Father"?

4039917+_1aabe5797d453e2df588794b2615365b.jpg

a championship is impressive no matter what. Some people may have been bred for it, and may have been born with a "silver spoon" to achieve wrestling success. But, to reach the top of a sport like wreslting, they still need to put in the time and traning and work for it. It's impressive.

What's not impressive is someone that is financially wealthy because they inherited money from their family. Or someone that takes over a successful business started by their father/grandfather. But, if they grow it and develop it - that's a different story.

What's not impressive is someone that is financially wealthy because they inherited money from their family. Or someone that takes over a successful business started by their father/grandfather. But, if they grow it and develop it - that's a different story.

131550380321.gif

Raising a kid for success in this world of ours……..hmmm. Let me count the ways. Perhaps it is easier to share a short past blast. An excerpt, if you will.

Dad was a journeyman plumber. Mama drove the local elementary school buss. Raised 5 kids. We are Irish, 'mackerel snappers'.*

Fast forward to HS. Had good tough coaches …..with lots of character….. from the get go.

Sr yr Dad drove the ole Ford P/U down to Urbana for the Friday and Sat bouts at state finals.

Sat. evening, after everything died down a bit--Dad walked over to me. Shook my hand firmly and

said "proud of ya son."

He had to drive back upstate that night so that he could do a 'Sunday side job.' after church. That, you see, could help to defray the expenses for that trip downstate.

This topic, "not impressive if raised for wrestling success." Well…….not sure if I was that. What I do know for sure --is that I had awesome mentors that stressed toughness. Enough strength and toughness to reach my goals in sports and in life itself.

An old Irish Prayer-- If you can't punch it or drink it…….don't have anything to do with it.

Sr yr Dad drove the ole Ford P/U down to Urbana for the Friday and Sat bouts at state finals.

Sat. evening, after everything died down a bit--Dad walked over to me. Shook my hand firmly and

said "proud of ya son."

He had to drive back upstate that night so that he could do a 'Sunday side job.' after church. That, you see, could help to defray the expenses for that trip downstate.

This topic, "not impressive if raised for wrestling success." Well…….not sure if I was that. What I do know for sure --is that I had awesome mentors that stressed toughness. Enough strength and toughness to reach my goals in sports and in life itself.

1381922657635s.jpg

Hey ……..you (two) wrestling stalwart studs………..what up with the alien reply ……and the man (who is seemingly crying his eyes out) ?

Wow. Med Man please tell me that you did not choose a photo of a man - mourning at a funeral. When I look behind the guy, that's what it appears to be.

I have seen both of you do much better than these two posts. And I am certain that you will regain your poise.

Wow. Med Man please tell me that you did not choose a photo of a man - mourning at a funeral. When I look behind the guy, that's what it appears to be.

He's not a man, he's an anti-hero with dem feels.

I have seen both of you do much better than these two posts. And I am certain that you will regain your poise.

I hope so, we are working on it.

Okay. Now that clears it up for me.

To all of you friendly forum folks -- just look what a little communication can do. Simply going that extra post.

Oh, forgot. Med man you stated "we are working on it".

And "we" is all inclusive of…… ahhhh whom ?

Got to go now. Our maids have rung our dinner bell.