Sign in to follow this  
Crusader2017

Pico Loses

In this thread

Pico is overrated. Snyder is overrated.

Pico got screwed, he's still great! Snyder kept it close but got it done, he's still great!

Everyone here needs to step back and take a deep breath. Junior results don't matter, they only indicate how someone could possibly do in the future- just like high school results. After high school, Grajales was better than sliced bread and Dake was a pretty good recruit. In college they switched. Retherford won a Junior World title then couldn't beat Cadet World champ Pico. Results on the lower level do not indicate results on the higher level.

Even if Junior results did really indicate future Senior success, it's one tournament. Even Burroughs looses once in a while.

/rant. I'll go back to trolling now.

Retherford has never made a junior world team let alone won a junior world title. He was a cadet world champ the year before pico. Still impressive but not nearly as impressive as a junior world title.

Not to get in the middle of a pissing match, but I totally see the point about winning on passivity. The guy is a big scorer - simiar to Metcalf, Taylor, Pico, etc. Disimilar to Dake, Perry, et al. All GREAT wrestlers, but with differing philosophies. I'm surprised it went to 2 passivities and that he won on being the last to score (on passivity).

Perhaps we can all take a step back and be nice?

Thank you Flo for posting some matches.

Will the Pico losses be posted? Will other US losses be posted?

Thank you.

thanks Hubbard. there are more matches coming, though i honestly don't know the eta on them.

Bader was scheduled to fly out yesterday, but some things got jacked with the tourney being pushed back due to the mining incident.

And why would I be happy about Pico losing?

My bone of contention has always been with a number of the posters on here who have said....Pico will maul Metcalf...Snyder will take Varner...come on. These two have been wrestling boys...when they start whipping men, then you can start talking...that won't be for a while. That is all....

people who get excited over results when kids are in their late teens are jumping the gun. look at our guys who have excelled early internationally in the cadet and jr divisions. very few have had more success on the open level. check the fila database, the same is true in other countries as well. kids who win world level medals rarely win open level world medals.

most often the kids who win cadet and jr events are more mature or technically advanced young. then their peers catch up and pass them. the same is likely to happen with pico and snyder or maybe it's not? the foolish thing is to act like they are locks to have more success on the open level.

I don't think it's fair to say there is no correlation between junior and senior success. Every time there is a step up in competition some guys drop off. Not every jr world champ will be a senior world champ; however many of them are. Lebedev, Kudukov, Otarsultanov, Tsargush, Taghavi, Asgarov... Just a few off the top of my head who have won both.

I don't think it's fair to say there is no correlation between junior and senior success. Every time there is a step up in competition some guys drop off. Not every jr world champ will be a senior world champ; however many of them are. Lebedev, Kudukov, Otarsultanov, Tsargush, Taghavi, Asgarov... Just a few off the top of my head who have won both.

I'm a huge Pico fan and I'm disappointed he lost. However, it's probably a good thing in the long run. He still is taking care of his scholastic needs. No one can wrestle 100% of the time.

He still has to be educated. He left school before the 10th grade. He has a long way to go to get his education up to speed for an 17/18 year old. He knows that wrestling, boxing, UFC, etc etc are not the only thing that matters for his future.

I'm a huge Pico fan and I'm disappointed he lost. However, it's probably a good thing in the long run. He still is taking care of his scholastic needs. No one can wrestle 100% of the time.

He still has to be educated. He left school before the 10th grade. He has a long way to go to get his education up to speed for an 17/18 year old. He knows that wrestling, boxing, UFC, etc etc are not the only thing that matters for his future.

I'm a fan and supporter too, but let's get real. He lost because he faced better wrestlers (on that day). Classes had nothing to do with it. He is taking online classes for crying out loud! He is a full-time pro athlete and part-time online student. He had a bad day. It happens. He will rebound with a vengeance, and yes, I agree with you that this was good for him in the long run. Everyone, including Jordan Burroughs, needs to be checked once in a while.

From my understanding, he is on course to graduate high school a year early.

I haven't seen the matches but it could simply be a matter of he went up against a better wrestler. I've see juniors from other countries beat up on our senior level guys on more than one occasion. It probably should't come as a surprise when one of them beats one of our juniors.

Isn't Pico still a FILA Cadet?

There are 15 year olds out there who dropped out and are taking online classes that are far smarter than you or I. Should we give up our careers and go back to school as well? Or strike while the iron is hot?

Does it make me a bad guy to chuckle when jock sniffing fan boys struggle to make excuses when their heroes lose? Uh, uh, isn't Pico in med school? And he's only 9 years old? And he went up 3 weights?

Lol. Just stop.

Does it make me a bad guy to chuckle when jock sniffing fan boys struggle to make excuses when their heroes lose? Uh, uh, isn't Pico in med school? And he's only 9 years old? And he went up 3 weights?

Lol. Just stop.

Bad? no..spot on, NJWC!

my main reference revolves around american wrestlers. going all the way back to 1981 only bill scherr and john smith won a medal at the jr level and won multiple world medals. only 5 out of a total of 19 jr world medalists won medals at the open level since 1981.

odds are that our next big winner on the open level is a kid who did not develop early.

my main reference revolves around american wrestlers. going all the way back to 1981 only bill scherr and john smith won a medal at the jr level and won multiple world medals. only 5 out of a total of 19 jr world medalists won medals at the open level since 1981.

odds are that our next big winner on the open level is a kid who did not develop early.

Hasn't the jr division changed some during that time, enlarging to include Espoir? Gutches won silver in Cadet and bronze in Espoir. I may be wrong about what jr's are now, but Espoir was an age group.

Threads like this remind that wrestling in the USA (and in general) is it's own worst enemy. Kid loses a couple of matches - and because he isn't going the traditional route - the long knives are out already. I almost hope the Bulgarians welcome him into their fold because American wrestling fans are idiots and don't really deserve to support talent like a Pico.

This is a Cejudo rerun.

Hasn't the jr division changed some during that time, enlarging to include Espoir? Gutches won silver in Cadet and bronze in Espoir. I may be wrong about what jr's are now, but Espoir was an age group.

Espoir and FILA Junior age group are the same thing. They encompass 17-20 year old athletes.