Sign in to follow this  
mot

big news monday!

Got news for you, Sammie's not building anything at WV. He'll be there for 2 or 3 years until he gets a better offer and then he'll be gone. This is his 8th college coaching job, and I don't think he's stayed at any of them for more than 2 years. He is a good coach, but not somebody you could base the future of your program on.

Got news for you, Sammie's not building anything at WV. He'll be there for 2 or 3 years until he gets a better offer and then he'll be gone. This is his 8th college coaching job, and I don't think he's stayed at any of them for more than 2 years. He is a good coach, but not somebody you could base the future of your program on.

Dude. Get off it. That was as an Assistant Coach. Barring getting fired (which won't happen) or leaving for a BIG TIME job the likes of an Iowa, Penn St., Missouri (alma mater), et al. He's not going anywhere for a while. Being an assistant coach isn't the most luxurious lifestyle (see, Frayer, Jared) and his constant movement in search of a better opportunity ($$$), is a knock wrestling fans need to get over.

Got news for you, Sammie's not building anything at WV. He'll be there for 2 or 3 years until he gets a better offer and then he'll be gone. This is his 8th college coaching job, and I don't think he's stayed at any of them for more than 2 years.

Like my grand dad always told me, 9th times a charm.

Dude. Get off it. That was as an Assistant Coach. Barring getting fired (which won't happen) or leaving for a BIG TIME job the likes of an Iowa, Penn St., Missouri (alma mater), et al. He's not going anywhere for a while. Being an assistant coach isn't the most luxurious lifestyle (see, Frayer, Jared) and his constant movement in search of a better opportunity ($$$), is a knock wrestling fans need to get over.

He's not going anywhere for a while? And you base that on what? The tremendous potential in the program? They return 1 NCAA tourny pt. (out of 1.5) and placed 61st at nationals. Based on his track record, the sorry state of the program, and the fact that he has no ties or allegiance to WV,he'll be there 2 yrs., 3 tops, before he gets a better offer and moves on.

He's not going anywhere for a while? And you base that on what? The tremendous potential in the program? They return 1 NCAA tourny pt. (out of 1.5) and placed 61st at nationals. Based on his track record, the sorry state of the program, and the fact that he has no ties or allegiance to WV,he'll be there 2 yrs., 3 tops, before he gets a better offer and moves on.

That program has a ton of potential. 9.9 scholarships, and right between Ohio and Pennsylvania (and literally ten miles from the West Virginia/Pennsylvania border). (not sure how their facilities are, people closer to Morgantown, which I've been to once, ten years ago, could give me a better idea) Even if he moves on after two or three years for whatever reason, I have little doubt that he'll leave the program in better shape than he received it in.

Sounds like sour grapes. .. your premise is only that he's jumped job to job as an assistant coach. Once he becomes a head coach, I highly doubt he will go back to being an assistant. That means for him to get a better job offer than being the head coach at WVU, it will have to come from a higher profile program. To get a shot at a higher profile program, he will have to be successful. So if he eventually moves on because he has made WVU successful and he gets a better job offer, that'll be alright in my book. I just want o see success again at my alma mater

SHP, WVU opened a new wrestling facility in 2006. 3 full mats. WONDERFUL facility. Team does off season training at the football facility, which is top notch. Weight room by the wrestling room needs work, but that's on the docket.

WVU has everything it needs to be successful, it just needs the leadership.

SHP, WVU opened a new wrestling facility in 2006. 3 full mats. WONDERFUL facility. Team does off season training at the football facility, which is top notch. Weight room by the wrestling room needs work, but that's on the docket.

WVU has everything it needs to be successful, it just needs the leadership.

That's what I thought, but I didn't know for certain.

Is Missouri considered a better program than wvu? They seem comparable to me. Missouri with some more recent successes.

Mizzou is a better program now, but head coach is better than assistant coach. Okie State is a better program than WVU, but if Coleman Scott were offered the head coaching position, he would probably leave Stillwater.

I can understand the frustration by KCMO. Most of us in Missouri were very excited about Sammie "coming home" to coach at the only D1 program that we have in the state. Things are on the rise and looking up for sure at Mizzou and Sammie would have definitely been helpful next year when Waters, Houdashelt and Cox all look to earn an NCAA title. Sour grapes, sure...but we still have to be happy for Sammie that he finally got that head coaching job that he's always wanted.

My guess is that Tyler Caldwell (Head Asst), Dom Bradley (Asst) and Nick Marable (Strength and Conditioning) end up as assistants at WVU.

As far as Sammie leaving within a few years, it will all depend on how well he turns WVU around as to how marketable he becomes as a HC and what positions become available. If one of the USA wrestling posts comes open (I'm surprised he didn't take the FS coaching job) or a top 10 wrestling program HC, I can see him jumping ship. Then again, Sammie is very hands on, so he may not like the administrative/political part of being a head coach and want to go back to being an assistant. Time will tell.

Sammie graduated from Clemson not Mizzou