Sign in to follow this  
badabing85

Beach Wrestling - Carolina Beach May 30-31 - NOOB Questions!

Hey all, just have a few questions for anybody who's done some beach wrestling, as this'll be the first time I've done it.

Early Weigh-Ins?

1.) So there are Early Weigh-ins Friday night @7pm, and regular Weigh-Ins Saturday morning @ like 10am, with matches starting at Noon. Total NOOB question here but: obviously if I weigh in on Friday night, I don't have to weigh in AGAIN Saturday morning right lol? Probably a dumb question but the whole idea of early weigh-ins is weird to me -- it just sounds almost too good to be true! Any body else done this? It's a no-brainer to weigh yourself in the night before and then eat a decent meal before bed right?

Strategy - What Works With These Rules?

2.) The rules are really close to sumo, where you score a point by pushing the guy out of bounds or bringing him to the ground, and 2 points wins the match. So the matches are pretty short. Any thoughts on strategy? My friend suggested basically no takedowns, 'cause it would be easy to get sprawled on, and thought I should focus on handfighting, snapping him down and going behind. What do people think? I want to win some matches but I just hate to resort to pushing guys out of bounds lol, to me that's kind of a cheap way to win.

1. Yes the night before weigh ins are best especially if you are cutting any kind of weight. No, you won't have to weigh in again that morning if you do the early weigh in.

2. As far as match strategy goes I would look for snap downs, shucks, throw bye's, etc for scoring. Work good hard hand fighting. Look for under hooks, Russians, etc. to set up shots. As far as shots go look for a shot that isn't low level. Look for snatch singles and ankle and knee picks.

This is what I would do personally, knowing the rules of beach wrestling, but never having entered a tournament.

I've heard that last year, USA Wrestling started implementing the official FILA rules of Beach (Sand) Wrestling at the Nationals and World Team Trials (they were combined last year and look to be combined this year too; winners are also recognized as NC State Champions this year). Half of the World has used the "Sumo" rules of Beach Wrestling, while the other half (and nearly all Sand Wrestling events in the U.S.) use the "Takedown" version of the rules. If USA Wrestling is being true to the FILA rules (which includes pins occuring when the back touches the sand, not the shoulders which is often stated on various sites), FILA began allowing wrestlers to be on their hands and feet without giving up a "touch' point (but one would be awarded as soon as a knee, elbow, head or any other part of the body).

Greco wrestlers certainly do well with the "Sumo" rules.

You are right that matches are short in terms of time length, but the heat from the sun (beaming down and reflecting up from the sand) can be very taxing, and a few minutes will have you just as worn out as 5-6 minutes on the mat. Conditioning is different, get out in the sun so your body can better adapt. The sand will slow down your footwork, and the shifting surface recruits more muscle fibers than wrestling on the mat.

Other tidbits, look into quick drying sun-block (it is against the rules to have 'slippery substances'), wearing eye-black is permitted to reflect the sun away from your eyes (just like baseball and football players use), and study some videos (not just Sand Wrestling events that use the "Sumo" rules, but a lot of countries "folkstyle" wrestling in done on the sand and plenty to learn from these indigenous styles.) Spar with friends, even if you don't live near the beach I'm sure you can find a local park with a sand pit (probably for volleyball). Making a rope ring isn't very expensive, one reason it's becoming a growing trend for summertime wrestling as a fundraiser for wrestling clubs.

Hope this helps,

Rob Teet, 2011 U.S. Beach Wrestling Team Memeber, 3x All-American Beach Wrestler

SandWrestling.com

; in the days before wrestling mats, the hips and shoulders were pinning areas and 3 of the 4 had to be on the ground. This was as recent as the 1896 Olympic Games despite claims that the style was "Greco").

Sorry, the rambling at the end was notes that i was making and was going to discard that. But that is the reason why proper Beach Wrestling contests use the back for pins and NOT shoulders. FILA has since corrected this after a few years of reintroducing the oldest version of mankind's oldest sport. :D