Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Dake still gets no love.....

Considering Taylor put Burroughs on his back twice, I don't think it's so over-the-top to say he could be the representative in 2016. That being said, Dake doesn't get nearly enough credit for his freestyle wrestling. He is much more dynamic in the international style then he was at folk and as bwh noted above, if you look at his results, he scores plenty. In his second match against Burroughs last year he was very offensive minded and hit some big moves that almost led to a win.

Foley's projecting out 2 years from now so i don't see it as a slight. my money is on Burroughs still and a healthy Dake, but who knows what'll happen in 2 years.

here's to hoping those 3 get and/or stay healthy and do a lot of competing against each other and the top international guys in the meantime!

Dake threw Burroughs while Burroughs fought too hard to stay in bounds and should have just went out and gave up 1 point. You say Dake wouldn't give up the lead Taylor did at the Open, but he did at last years WTT.

Isn't Tsargush like 50 years old now!

Foley didn't pick Taylor to represent in 2016 - he picked Burroughs. And also said he didn't think Taylor will be able to get past Dake. Dake's style is squat and stall - let's not KID ourselves (see what I did there).

Foley's article are great and he is not afraid to put his opinions out there. Whether you agree with his articles or not they are always worth a read and insightful.

Maybe that's just a misconception but I always thought the "slight" against US guys was that they rely to heavily on condition/continually attacking Gable style to win where international guys use a more smart defensive conserve energy style.

You hit the nail on the head. In freestyle, other countries see the US as a caricature or the "Hawkeye" style of heavy hands, straight ahead wrestling, and a big gas tank. Check out this translation of an interview with a Russian coach after the BTS event (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=471609) on the international board.

" Americans have a different style of wrestling: one that relies on conditioning, physical strength and good psychological/mental preparation, and thanks to these qualities they often win matches in the last seconds. They do rely on these qualities, while having a fairly limited arsenal of technical skills"

I think he sees what a lot of people I talk to in the wrestling community believes. Dake is just a bad matchup for Taylor. Dake does have a boring squat and stall style. He and many others think a Taylor fully dedicated to FS is the better prospect. My included.

Then he's just a bad matchup for Burroughs and Tsargush too. Dake beat Tsargush (who wrecked Taylor), and had a closer match with Burroughs that Taylor did. Remember, under official FILA rules, Dake won the 2nd match against Burroughs in the 2013 WTT finals. Granted, Burroughs would have probably wrestled differently if he didn't have overtime to rely upon, but you never know. Burroughs could have "pulled a Marable" and not realized he was losing against Dake (if we didn't implement overtime for that tournament).

Dake threw Burroughs while Burroughs fought too hard to stay in bounds and should have just went out and gave up 1 point. You say Dake wouldn't give up the lead Taylor did at the Open, but he did at last years WTT.

Isn't Tsargush like 50 years old now!

Foley didn't pick Taylor to represent in 2016 - he picked Burroughs. And also said he didn't think Taylor will be able to get past Dake. Dake's style is squat and stall - let's not KID ourselves (see what I did there).

Foley's article are great and he is not afraid to put his opinions out there. Whether you agree with his articles or not they are always worth a read and insightful.

So...much...stupidity....

Has Kyle Dake wrestled under the updated FS rules yet? It's hard to tell if the new rules work for or against his style. I'm excited to see how he responds to being put on the 30 second shot clock. It's also hard to tell if he'll need to adjust for the weird 1pt 'almost takedown' rule... in the past, you could put Dake in just about any non-2pt TD position and he'll scramble his way out of it or turn the tables. I wonder if it could turn into a strategy where, because he's so good from there, to surrender the 1 and scramble/work for the 2 or an exposure.

I also have it in my head that Dake is a proficient thrower in FS. No idea what, if anything, that means under the new rules.

Considering Taylor put Burroughs on his back twice, I don't think it's so over-the-top to say he could be the representative in 2016. That being said, Dake doesn't get nearly enough credit for his freestyle wrestling. He is much more dynamic in the international style then he was at folk and as bwh noted above, if you look at his results, he scores plenty. In his second match against Burroughs last year he was very offensive minded and hit some big moves that almost led to a win.

word