Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Hudson Taylor on Deadspin

it has been obvious for a long time that hudson taylor wants to be the center of it all he is a mercenary who has been cashing in when everyone sends checks to help with the movement

"Any time an athlete comes out, our job is not to provide direct services to that athlete, but to cultivate support around that athlete," Taylor says.

If I understand this right Taylor is straight and considers himself the leader in the LGBT movement while running an organization whose efforts revolve around recruiting straight people to be a part of his group. This seems to do as much to help LGBTs as hashtags do to help the girls in Nigeria.

Really sounds like Taylor is just setting up a marketing machine where he can go to campuses get paid to speak and establish groups on campuses that don't require much from students but the school pays him dues so he can provide them with tools like "the words you are allowed to say and not say."

As if there aren't enough LGBT groups out there already working tirelessly. He probably got a good base in DC with one or two people funding him and then moved to NYC to get all the media coverage he wanted while convincing Columbia boosters to help him cover costs of living to join the coaching staff.

"Any time an athlete comes out, our job is not to provide direct services to that athlete, but to cultivate support around that athlete," Taylor says.

If I understand this right Taylor is straight and considers himself the leader in the LGBT movement while running an organization whose efforts revolve around recruiting straight people to be a part of his group. This seems to do as much to help LGBTs as hashtags do to help the girls in Nigeria.

Really sounds like Taylor is just setting up a marketing machine where he can go to campuses get paid to speak and establish groups on campuses that don't require much from students but the school pays him dues so he can provide them with tools like "the words you are allowed to say and not say."

As if there aren't enough LGBT groups out there already working tirelessly. He probably got a good base in DC with one or two people funding him and then moved to NYC to get all the media coverage he wanted while convincing Columbia boosters to help him cover costs of living to join the coaching staff.

WOW! My "git r done" above really was true, wasn't it?

Couldn't he have, perhaps, found easier ways to make money (if he even does at all) than to take part in a controversial issue, running the risk of alienating himself from the bigots in the rasslin community? Why not travel around and give motivational speeches as a multiple time AA? No controversy there, so what would motivate him to do this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Guys like Taylor and Ban like to feel relevant so they appoint themselves leaders and advocates to things like LGBT. Just the thing wrestling needs, a couple of phony gay bandwagon jumpers.

Could it be that the guy is just speaking out about what he believes in? Nah... to obvious! :roll:

Besides, that kind of behavior is just plain un-American! :evil:

Did you read the article Redblades? He is doing more self promoting than helping. In fact, he has made things worse for many.

"Burke is adamant that an ally never be on center stage. He notes that when he's invited to a speaking engagement, he brings three or four LGBT voices and moderates a panel. He draws a contrast with Hudson Taylor, who often has the lectern to himself.

"I offer very little to an LGBT athlete," Burke admits. "LGBT athletes offer everything to LGBT athletes. Jason Collins inspired Michael Sam, who inspired Derrick Gordon, who's going to inspire someone else."

Taylor says that's never been his goal. "You have allies who speak out, you have athletes who come out, and one fuels the other," he says. "I always envisioned Athlete Ally to serve one very narrow purpose within this larger movement.

But how to reach that straight community? "The single easiest way to create allies is by having those people know someone who's gay," Burke says. Taylor disagrees.

Pretty cool of Taylor to offer up his wisdom at speaking engagements so Allys don't have to bother interacting with LGBTs. :roll:

Did you read the article Redblades? He is doing more self promoting than helping. In fact, he has made things worse for many.

"Burke is adamant that an ally never be on center stage. He notes that when he's invited to a speaking engagement, he brings three or four LGBT voices and moderates a panel. He draws a contrast with Hudson Taylor, who often has the lectern to himself.

"I offer very little to an LGBT athlete," Burke admits. "LGBT athletes offer everything to LGBT athletes. Jason Collins inspired Michael Sam, who inspired Derrick Gordon, who's going to inspire someone else."

Taylor says that's never been his goal. "You have allies who speak out, you have athletes who come out, and one fuels the other," he says. "I always envisioned Athlete Ally to serve one very narrow purpose within this larger movement.

But how to reach that straight community? "The single easiest way to create allies is by having those people know someone who's gay," Burke says. Taylor disagrees.

Pretty cool of Taylor to offer up his wisdom at speaking engagements so Allys don't have to bother interacting with LGBTs. :roll:

Do you consider yourself to be a big supporter and ally of LGBT groups?

Not that it is any of your business but I think I am very supportive of my gay brother and my gay friends. Does that satisfy your inquiring mind or am I not doing enough to make you happy you idiot.

There are a lot of people offended by Taylor's self serving efforts where he rallies up straight people to fund him to talk about LGBT issues. You are surely more supportive of me because you stood up and made a stupid git r done post so please tell us more about how you and Taylor are leaders and visionaries you idiot.

Not that it is any of your business but I think I am very supportive of my gay brother and my gay friends. Does that satisfy your inquiring mind or am I not doing enough to make you happy you idiot.

There are a lot of people offended by Taylor's self serving efforts where he rallies up straight people to fund him to talk about LGBT issues. You are surely more supportive of me because you stood up and made a stupid git r done post so please tell us more about how you and Taylor are leaders and visionaries you idiot.

You started the insults. Following my rule, I never begin them, but I return them x10. Enjoy, boy. ;)

People are OFFENDED by it, knothead? How could anyone be offended by a person who goes around the country educating people about such issues, knothead? Or, as is the case with you, knothead, you're a bigot who is "offended" by the fact that there are such things as gay persons in the U.S.

I've been in the bidness too long to not spot a bigot, and you, my knothead boy, are exhibit A. :lol:

Wow. You really make me laugh. You clearly don't have a clue. I am sure you would label Derrick Gordon, Patrick Burke and all of the members of You Can Play, Outsports, Go! Athletes, Campus Pride, and all of the other groups that have had problems with Taylor as being bigots too.

You clearly have no clue with what is going on. Did you even read the article? I doubt you did, so I will include the link. http://deadspin.com/how-one-gay-athlete ... 1579093298

I am done with you.

I did read the article, and yes, understand the controversy here. But since you are pulling in quotes, perhaps it's only fair to put upTaylor's own words:

"My audience is that straight community who doesn't think they should care."

In other words, he's not trying to speak to LGBT athletes; he's trying to reach people like us. Now, I can undertand that some in the LGBT community might say, "Thanks but no thanks; we can speak for ourselves!" But I think one of the comments below the article seems express the alternative view: "I am pleasantly astonished that we have a problem of a straight man grandstanding and wanting attention in a quest to make life easier for gay athletes."

Let me tell you all a little something about the gays! I think we should use the phrase "straight man" with caution a wise fellow once told me if it looks like a rat and it smells like a rat it generally is a rat!

You guys will have to excuse me as I didn't want to read through all of the posts. So from what I understand is that David Taylor has come out as gay and has been kicked off the team? I never pictured DT as gay. What do official Penn State spokemen TBar and Flying Tiger have to say about this?

Let me tell you all a little something about the gays! I think we should use the phrase "straight man" with caution a wise fellow once told me if it looks like a rat and it smells like a rat it generally is a rat!

Why can't a straight man support gay individuals without being labeled as gay?

You guys will have to excuse me as I didn't want to read through all of the posts. So from what I understand is that David Taylor has come out as gay and has been kicked off the team? I never pictured DT as gay. What do official Penn State spokemen TBar and Flying Tiger have to say about this?

I think Kendra may dispute that claim and have valid evidence to the contrary

You guys are awfully quick to rush to judgment against Hudson Taylor.

The article is a hit piece, rather plainly instigated by a LGBT group that didn't like what Taylor was doing. They can barely contain their contempt that a white, male, straight guy could be a leader among LGBT activists, and playing an advocacy role that they want for themselves. A careful read of the article, and the critiques leveled against Taylor from other LGBT groups, show that there is little more than raw reverse-prejudice at work here. Its embarrassing and disgraceful.

To the author's credit, it does eventually offer some of Taylor's side of the story, though you need to read past the first few attack paragraphs to see what's really going on. What they criticize as the premature outing of a gay athlete is, in actuality, just an email that may have had overbroad distribution, but which sent to persons who were thought to already be "in the know," which did NOT even identify the athlete, and which was only an effort to drum up support for him. Then the truth *really* comes out when the article reveals that, all along, there was a different LGBT organization that was secretly behind this athlete's forthcoming self-outing, which got irrationally offended that Taylor wanted to help. The article even reprints Taylor's sincere email to this other organization offering to assist, which the other LGBT outfit derided as "disgraceful." Unbelievable.

Check out the comments about Taylor's speech to the WNBA. This other LGBT group was just seething that a white straight male would present to a femle audience including blacks and lesbians, and fuming that they weren't invited. Its hardly surprising that this gaggle of cronies ostracized Taylor's group. It doesn't mean they're right.

The bottom line is that its a turf war, and its obvious that these LGBT organizations don't want to cede space to a group run by a straight white male. They should be ashamed of themselves. Much as they preach inclusion of gay athletes, they can't even honor their own words when they can't embrace a straight white guy who merely wants to advocate their joint cause to other straight guys.